Evernote Android goes to Edit mode on notes with attachments/handwritten-elements without explicit action

[Updated with more details on the "situations" I get issues]

Hello,

I am having some a rather "undesirable behavior" on my Evernote (on Android devices), namely:

• I open a note (go to "edit mode))
  • Edit note
  • Click on save it, which (should) bring it to a "non-editing-mode" (i.e.: I get the go to list sign "<-", or even sometimes go directly to the list of notes)
  • GET (randomly) THE PROBLEM:
    • I see some "flashing lines" on top of the app, looks like Evernote is saving the note...
    • and then the note goes back to Edit mode, without any explicit action on my side to do that, i.e.: I do not touch anything on the note, which I expect to be required to go back to edit mode
    • this behavior can go back and forth without me touching the "save" or "go back to list of notes" button...

When does this happen? This seems to happen when I have notes with "Evernote handwritten entries" or add Attachment (e.g.: photo)... these are the two situations I tested (maybe there are a few other situations). When I have a note with only text, I am not seeing this behavior... actually I did a test where I updated the note by removing a photo and make it "pure text" note, which resulted on the note stopping to "misbehaving".

This is causing some problems, e.g.: sometimes after I click save I move to another application, or just lock my Android device (while the note stays doing this "misbehavior" on background...). Then I use/change the same note on another device (I use three devices on a regular fashion), which means I end up having "conflicting notes" once I come back to my Android device... which is really annoying.

The device where I see this happens the most is a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 (Android 8.0.0, Latest Evernote version - 8.7.0), but it also happens on my Mobile phone, and I would assume this is probably happening on any Android mobile device...

Is this a known issue? If so, is there anything happening to address it, or maybe already a solution/setting I can adjust to stop having this...

@Evernote Support: if this is a Bug (and not some misconfiguration I have), shall I open a bug somewhere else with this info, or is this enough for you to take action?

Thank you in advance! Cheers,

Eduardo

• Level 5*

Hi.  I also have a Galaxy Tab and a Note, but AFAICS nothing like your issues when saving notes.  Don't know why you should be 'special' in this regard,  but the fact that two devices are  misbehaving suggests it's the location or the network connection that's the problem.  Sadly,  we're not a route to Support - you can try a tweet to @EvernoteHelps,  or as a subscriber you'll have access to email (and chat) support here.

You'll probably be asked to sync,  uninstall,  restart,  re-download and reinstall the app (that's really as much teching as is possible on a mobile device) so you might like to try that first!

Thank you for your remarks @gazumped I fully agree, there should be no reason for a special treatment (BTW: did you try the exact steps I mentioned above? namely: create a new note; add some attachment; and click save (and don't click anything else, just wait - in my case I see some jumping between edit-mode and go back to list of notes and eventually stays on edit-mode...).

However, I am seeing this on both of my Android devices, which leads me to think that there may be something wrong with some setting I have on my configuration/account... It also means that there is a high chance that there is some "use case" that is not fully supported by Evernote, as I am not doing anything crazy here, simply saving a note with some sort of attachment.

I was looking at the logs (as I also do Software Development on a daily basis :p) but it is not easy to understand the different events... so I will indeed submit a "ticket" on the link you mention and send the logs and any other input to get some help. 

I will update the final results here.

Cheers.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Eduardo Silva said:

did you try the exact steps I mentioned above?

I'm sure that I frequently save notes with attachments without seeing any odd behaviour,  but since you ask I carried out the test.  I created a note,  added an attachment and then saved the content - the phone is still sitting next to my laptop with the note on view and I haven't seen anything other than 'saved to your default notebook'.  Back arrow (just) takes me to All Notes.  No flicks back and forth into Edit.

• 1 month later...

Hi Eduardo,

Thanks for your report..

I have exactly the same problem as described. It seems to happen when saving takes some time and then I have to repeat the saving procedure often a few times to avoid the mentioned collisions. My network is fast and stable, it is not  the reason for this malfunction.

I am using mainly a newer Lifetab from MEDION with Android 8. On my PC I did not see this problem so gar.

What I claim is the missing failure message in such cases. This should be implemented in minimum.

Regards

Gerhard Steuerwald

Hey @GSteuerwald,

This was indeed a problem on my case. I have created a ticket for support and send videos/logs to Evernote customer support... What was done is unclear as from support they had to create a ticket for the product development team, but for a few days now I don't experience the same behavior anymore...

My recommendation is to uninstall Evernote on your device and then install it again, go for "beta version" (that's what I have). Hopefully you also stop getting this error (unless something was done on my specific account - I hope not :p, if you keep on having the problem I propose you write a ticket to customer support).

Cheers,

Eduardo

Archived