Evernote as email client and indexer of document storage

ComradeHaz

Idea

I have 3 broad repositories of information; Evernote, my email service(s) and my OneDrive directories of Office documents and the like. Saving mail into Evernote is a one way journey; once it's in, it's archived and it's static, particularly as EN does not support .eml files. Similarly, dropping Word or Excel files into notes that might still want to be edited is clunky and there's no support for collaborative editing of said documents as OneDrive allows.

It occurs to me that if Evernote were also my email client and could index all files in a standard directory structure I really would have just one place to find just about everything.

Could Evernote consider acquiring a small software company that have developed an email client and merge their technology with Evernote and provide Evernote integration for the major cloud storage providers (OneDrive, Google Drive, DropBox) to create the Holy Grail of information storage?

1 reply to this idea

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, ComradeHaz said:

Saving mail into Evernote is a one way journey; once it's in, it's archived and it's static, particularly as EN does not support .eml files. Similarly, dropping Word or Excel files into notes that might still want to be edited is clunky and there's no support for collaborative editing of said documents

Your request is posted and users can add their votes.

To be honest, I have good email service  (Apple and GMail) and don't need an Evernote email service.

I store my rnail in Evernote, in both eml and pdf format.
The eml file opens in my mail client (Mac).  I bought an IOS viewer app.

I store my word processing and spreadsheets documents in Evernote.
Evernote has inline display for these files, and collaboration editing.
Windows/Mac handle editing attachments extremely well; IOS extremely sucks.

>>index files in a standard directory structure 

Confirmed; the files are imported into Evernote and no longer exist in OS folders.  
We have the option of linking to the file instead.

A benefit is that I am no longer concerned about that "standard directory struncture".
The files are backed up and accesible on all my devices and the web.

Archived