sorting notes

Though I was an early user of Evernote, I've rather neglected it in recent years, and that makes me feel like a novice when I'm trying to investigate its possibilities. One particular question is on my mind right now: I wish someone would explain to me the various ways of sorting notes. I usually sort by note titles, but I am wondering if any of the other fields can be modified. I ask because I am compiling a long list of newspaper articles and would like occasionally to sort them by date. I realize that I can place the date at the beginning of the note title, but then I would lose the ability to sort by the real titles of the articles. Would it be possible for me to insert a date in, for example, the "Subject" field? If so, how would I do that?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, wsp said:

explain to me the various ways of sorting notes.

My default sort is update sequence.  
I use title sequence for some saved searches.

Screenshot from my Mac for sort options.405205144_ScreenShot2018-12-30at07_29_46.png.649fcf49a0aa31f81fce89a65b1b601d.png

If you work in List View (Mac/Windows), your note list data is displayed in columns; you can sort on any column

>>I am wondering if any of the other fields can be modified

We can modify created/updated date (Mac/Windows); not something I make a practice of.

>>Would it be possible for me to insert a date in, for example, the "Subject" field? If so, how would I do that?

I store the subject date

• In the Subject Date field.  I use scripting (Mac) for this.
    tell application "Evernote" to set subject date of theNote to "2018/12/17"

• Prefix to the title  for date related notes, like receipts
    2018/12/17 Receipt !Vndr-EDO !Budget-FoodDining  <> $-13.10

• Within the note contents.  I have a meta-data section, updated by scripting (Mac)
    395904071_ScreenShot2018-12-30at08_01_06.png.f6245bb996cc78f5ec0d0ef7e1fd1c2b.png
  • Level 5*

I use created date for general display and sort by titles on searches.  In this case I'd use <date> | <publication>| <keywords> to generate a list - why do you care if an item is called "The Economy Tanks" or "Stock Market Dives" when they're both about banking / finance / economy issues...

Using the title I can get a list of articles publishes in one month / by one publication / on one subject  by using intitle:<keyword> (or <date>) searches.

12 hours ago, wsp said:

insert a date in, for example, the "Subject" field

11 hours ago, DTLow said:

I store the subject date

• In the Subject Date field.  I use scripting (Mac) for this.
    tell application "Evernote" to set subject date of theNote to "2018/12/17"

I can see on my latest version of EN-for-Windows an option to sort notes by 'subject' amongst many others...but where is the 'subject' field???

• Level 5*
45 minutes ago, RavBoy said:

I can see on my latest version of EN-for-Windows an option to sort notes by 'subject' amongst many others...but where is the 'subject' field???

Subject Date also a search field.

In my use (Mac/iPad),  I can only edit/view Subject Date using scripting  (Applescript) on my Mac.
In Windows Subject Date is also column in List view.

18 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Subject Date also a search field.

18 minutes ago, DTLow said:

In Windows Search Date is also column in List view.

maybe I'm not getting you but I'm asking about sorting my notes by 'SUBJECT' ... Where is there a SUBJECT field when creating a note?  Where do I enter a notes subject descriptor/info, in order to be able to sort-by-subject.  I think you mean enter it in the date field...but on my app in Windows I can only enter a date

ScreenCap_03 Dec. 31, 2018.jpg

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, RavBoy said:

Where is there a SUBJECT field when creating a note?

SUBJECT really isn't subject.  If you add subject as a column in side or top list view you will see a data on some of the notes.  It looks like the created date for emailed in notes to me.  Title is actually "Subject" in my view.  FWIW.

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, RavBoy said:

but I'm asking about sorting my notes by 'SUBJECT' ... Where is there a SUBJECT field when creating a note?

Sorry, the discussion was on Subject Date; there is no subject text field.

If I needed this, I could prefix the title with the subject (text)

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Sorry, the discussion was on Subject Date; there is no subject text field.

If I needed this, I could prefix the title with the subject (text)

There is neither in Windows, just a Subject field of questionable origins.  😉  See @RavBoy's post for what gets displayed.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, CalS said:

There is neither in Windows, just a Subject field of questionable origins.  😉  See @RavBoy's post for what gets displayed.

@Ravboy's post shows the field Subject; actually Subject Date in the note metadata.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

@Ravboy's post shows the field Subject; actually Subject Date in the note metadata.

Don't think I've seen Subject Date as a field in the Windows app, unless it appears somewhere in the app of whence I am not aware.  How many folks do you think are going to crack open the ENML to find out that Subject as listed as a column header within the app is actually subject-date in the code?

Just saying.... all we have is Subject from a user facing basis, and it's naming/meaning is less than crystal clear.

4 hours ago, CalS said:

SUBJECT really isn't subject.  If you add subject as a column in side or top list view you will see a data on some of the notes.

I tried the top-list view (I always like using 'snippet view'), and activated the 'subject' column as you suggested.  On a quick glance through, NO data was populating in that column... so I think your comment quoted below may be accurate for the EN-for-windows app. 

Would be good if EN 'sorts' this out, pun intended.  Hard to believe that an app/company as big as these guys have such limited info in their help & learning, see How to change the sort order of your notes ...cheers

4 hours ago, CalS said:

Title is actually "Subject" in my view. 

In response to jefito's earlier question: yes, I am using the Windows version of Evernote.

As for the "Subject" field, I have had the same experience as others. There are dates (identical to dates of creation) that appear in that field in a few of my older notes. I assume they must have been generated automatically. It would be great if we could use that field for some data of our choice (such as the date of publication for publications we are listing).

• Level 5*

OK. Looking at the API (http://dev.evernote.com/doc/reference/), there is no "Subject" attribute, but there is a "SubjectDate" attribute in the "NoteAttributes" struct (http://dev.evernote.com/doc/reference/Types.html#Struct_NoteAttributes). The comment for this field is:

subjectDate
time that the note refers to

All of the notes that I have that have non-empty "Subject" fields -- as shown in a note list view -- contain dates that appear to match its note's Created date, though it you edit the Created date, the Subject date does not appear to change. I know of no way to edit this (though maybe you can do it in a .enex file; I'd have to dig a little deeper, as there's no explicit mention of it in the ENML docs, though there is a "<subject-date>" field in the exported ENEX file), and how they get populated is a little mysterious, too (some of my notes that have this field are quite old, and some are relatively new).

So a little unclear / ambiguous. Maybe this has a prior usage that's gone vestigial; I'm not sure. It's there, but you can't do much with it, so pretty much useless as far as I can tell. Nothing I'm going to lose any sleep over it. *shrug*

Postscript: all of the notes that have a non-empty Subject field in my work note account that are mote recent than late 2009 were generated via emails into my Evernote email  account. So maybe that's a clue as to usage, at least these days.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, wsp said:

It would be great if we could use that field for some data of our choice (such as the date of publication for publications we are listing).

I am using this field for subject date of my note data.  

My method for updating the field is scripting (Mac); defaults to created date.
Sorry, I don't know of any Windows editing solution.

Archived