Differences Between 'Copy Note' & 'Duplicate Note' ???

I predominantly use EN-for-Windows, and am currently on version 6.16.4.8094 (308094) Public (CE Build ce-58.1.6897)

Note... I found no useful info/answers when searching 'EN Help & Learning' that answers this, or anything really, on 'copy note' or 'duplicate note'.  Only after thinking about this, it dawned on me that perhaps EN's intention is (my guess):

• > Copy Note - When wanting to copy to a 'different' notebook (but interesting how the menu-bar drop-down, or right-click menu, says 'copy note' instead of 'copy to notebook' like I think it once did)
  • > Duplicate Note - When wanting to copy to the 'same' notebook you're currently working from

Sometimes I need to create some quick copies of a new-note, that has the bare bones of the notes structure in place, for example: Note-Title Prefix, Tags, Note Body-Content Title, Table etc... and during these one-off times, creating an EN Template wouldn't help, as additionally Templates don't keep Note-Title or Tags, I believe, just the note-body content.

Anyway I discovered:

COPY-NOTE (SAME NOTEBOOK) TEST RESULTS:
  1. Tag(s) -REMOVED
  2. 'copy' note-title annotation -NOT ADDED
  3. Note-Reminder -RETAINED
  4. Note Creation Date -NEW DATE/TIME ADDED

DUPLICATE-NOTE (SAME NOTEBOOK) TEST RESULTS:
Everything was duplicated perfectly

1. Tag(s) -RETAINED
  2. 'copy' note title annotation- ADDED
  3. Note-Reminder-RETAINED
  4. Note Creation Date -ORIGINAL-NOTE DATE/TIME RETAINED

Not a biggy, but might help improve usability if EN cleared this up, or just explained it better, as from here on I will just use 'Duplicate-Note' then drag to the notebook I want, if indeed I need it in another notebook, but most of time I use this when in the same notebook.

I also questioned why the 'note-reminder' is retained ...and why the 'copy' note-title annotation is NOT added when using 'copy-note'?

Which are you guys using - Copy or Duplicate?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  If you check the Copy options (literally!) you can keep the created and updated dates if you wish,  and choose whether or not to keep tags.  Duplicate simply and immediately does exactly what it says on the can.  I tend to use whichever seems appropriate.

If you're creating Templates,  don't forget  it is possible to export a note to ENEX and double-click on that note to create a new copy with the same title,  tags and content.

The way to get around the lack of titles in Evernote's templates is to put the title in the first line and - if there's no other content - a few blank lines.  When you create the template copy,  edit the first line if necessary,  or just type content and Evernote should populate the first line into the title immediately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, gazumped said:

If you check the Copy options (literally!) you can keep the created and updated dates if you wish,  and choose whether or not to keep tags.  Duplicate simply and immediately does exactly what it says on the can.

I realised this, only this morning, and exactly as you stated/explained it.  Yeah 'Duplicate Note'  happens immediately upon clicking it, meaning the note will always and only be copied to the notebook one is working in.  Whereas if I click 'copy note' the next step is a dialogue box to choose the notebook destination, plus it does indeed display 2 options at the bottom re preserving Creation date and Tags. Well I'm straight on this now, thanks, need to pay better 'attendion to dedail' and or go out and buy 'EN for Dummies'...lol 😉 cheers

13 hours ago, gazumped said:

If you're creating Templates,  don't forget  it is possible to export a note to ENEX and double-click on that note to create a new copy with the same title,  tags and content.

Didn't like the idea of leaving the EN platform, but wanted to try this, so I did. As I've never restored an EN ENEX file before (from prior backups) I had to tell Windows which app to use/associate 1st, so I selected EN app.exe.  Then when I double-clicked the file, it said 'imported' as a popup notification on my laptop screen...but I couldn't find where the new note was created/imported to?  I looked in all notes and sorted by creation date..not there. I looked for an import folder/notebook... none created! What am I missing please? cheers.  I will also review how to restore EN backup files

29 minutes ago, RavBoy said:

I looked for an import folder/notebook... none created! What am I missing please?

Ok, so double clicking the .enex file on my laptop from the windows explorer folder, or right clicking the file and selecting open, both resulted in the popup notification saying it was imported, but again no import notebook was in fact created and no note imported!?

However when I used the EN-for-windows app and went:  File>Import>Evernote Export Files...  this worked fine.  Is the double click approach suppose to work?  

• 1 year later...
On 12/30/2018 at 5:43 AM, RavBoy said:

Which are you guys using - Copy or Duplicate?

I've been using Duplicate - but there's an annoyance with it I'm hoping someone here can speak to.  I have multiple projects that are all of the same workflow that I'm managing & I wanted to create a checklist for each client - 1 note per client, same content in each note.  I thought the easiest way to do this (and there are dozens possibly hundreds) was to create a template note & Duplicate it.  But every time I duplicate the note again, it adds the work "copy" to the end...so by the 5th Duplicate, you have "blah blah title copy copy copy copy" as the title of the note.

Is there a way to stop "copy" from being appended to the end of the title of every Duplicated note?

Thanks!

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, kennix said:

Is there a way to stop "copy" from being appended to the end of the title of every Duplicated note?

Not any way that I know of. I suppose that you could export your template note to disk, and import it back in; in that case, you don't get the "copy" appended, but it winds up in a new notebook. Or you might be able to import it back in more cleanly using the ENScript importnotes command and a .BAT file or something

c:\bin>"c:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\ENScript.exe" importnotes /?

Usage: ENScript importNotes [options]

Options:

/s {file|url} - source .enex file or url. If omitted, stdin is used to gather source specification.
  /n notebook - notebook to create the note in. If does not exist, lazy create. If omitted, use default notebook.
  /b notebook - business notebook to create the note in. If does not exist, lazy create.
  /u username - user name if not the same as database file name.
  /p password - user password to confirm Evernote service access.
  /d database - database file name if user name is not specified.

If both database file name and user name are not specified, last login name is used and
if there is none, USERNAME environment variable value is used as a user name.

M:\Global Mapper Trunk>

All of these entail some sort of work, though...

• Like 1

I've been using Duplicate

Assuming these 'copied' notes live in the same Notebook, think about using 'Copy Note' instead.  Then the copied note will no longer be appended with the word 'copy' in its title.

Re dozens or hundreds of copies possibly required... once you have 2, 4, 6 copies of the note simply keep selecting all of them then copy...so 2 becomes 4, 4 become 8 etc... not sure that helps

• Level 5*

I thought the easiest way to do this (and there are dozens possibly hundreds) was to create a template note & Duplicate it.  But every time I duplicate the note again, it adds the work "copy" to the end...so by the 5th Duplicate, you have "blah blah title copy copy copy copy" as the title of the note.

You could try actually creating a template note and add it as a template (note toolbar).  Then when you add a note you can select the template.  You will have to adjust the title and tags.  Might be more work than just a copy note, but it is an alternative.  FWIW.

ScreenClip.png.f698a0aadfbc5b8a0e35013a1b1b64f1.png

• Like 2
  • Level 5
17 hours ago, CalS said:

You could try actually creating a template note and add it as a template (note toolbar).  Then when you add a note you can select the template.  You will have to adjust the title and tags.  Might be more work than just a copy note, but it is an alternative.  FWIW.

But I think that's a Premium and Business feature, and @kennix is on a Basic account.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

But I think that's a Premium and Business feature, and @kennix is on a Basic account.

True that.   It might help anyone else reading the thread though. 😉

Thanks for all the thoughtful helps & suggestions here, y'all!  Love that Evernote has such a supportive community.

ps - I've been lurking around Evernote for years & just recently decided to try to make it part of my workflow.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2018 at 7:03 PM, RavBoy said:

Ok, so double clicking the .enex file on my laptop from the windows explorer folder, or right clicking the file and selecting open, both resulted in the popup notification saying it was imported, but again no import notebook was in fact created and no note imported!?

If I remember, it just goes into your default notebook. You can also drag/drop the enex to a specific notebook (or just to the note list).

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I used the 'saved enex' route for templates before Evernote came up with the in-app version.  Still do to an extent - it can be quicker to set up an import on my laptop than to create a new note and find the right template from a thumbnail.  And there's no limit - apart from sanity - on how many possible combinations you can have.

There's a folder on my hard drive with suitable note layouts like 'blog' 'budget' 'listing' 'review'.   The imported notes do wind up in the default notebook,  but I tend to work in All Notes anyway so I just drag them into the right notebook for that action.