Notes from Import folders duplicating themselves

mrtim

Here's a puzzle.  I've been using a Scansnap scanner for a few years now in my paperless workflow.  I use the scansnap software to create a searchable PDF, and then using ScanSnap Manager I move these files into folders by topic.  Then I have Evernote configured with Import Folders watching those topic folders, so these pdfs now end up in different Evernote notebooks, right where I want them.  The Import Folders feature is configured to leave the documents where it found them, so if I need to I can get to them outside of Evernote easily.  As I said this has been working fine for quite a while.

Recently I've noticed that newly scanned .pdfs are getting updated by some process after they have been imported to Evernote.   Unfortunately this causes the Import Folder feature to think they have been changed, and creates a second note with the pdf.  And then another one.  And sometimes then another one.  I can see that the timestamp on the files has changed, usually by only a few minutes, and sometimes the size of the file itself has changed slightly.  So in that situation I understand why Evernote is creating another note from the Import Folder.  The question is, what the heck is updating these files, and why?

The potential culprits I can think of are:

- Evernote itself is modifying the .pdfs

- The ScanSnap manager is doing it

- Some Adobe process is coming along and doing it

- Somebody at Microsoft thought it would be a good idea to change .pdfs slightly in some way.  I wouldn't put it past them

Have any of you seen this behavior?  I figure there must be several people in this forum who are doing something similar.

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, mrtim said:

The potential culprits I can think of are:
- Evernote itself is modifying the .pdfs
- The ScanSnap manager is doing it
- Some Adobe process is coming along and doing it
- Somebody at Microsoft thought it would be a good idea to change .pdfs slightly in some way.  I wouldn't put it past them
Have any of you seen this behavior?

I'm using a Mac and had to add a time delay to the import script.  Nothing nefarious happening, just the import starting before the file creation had completed.

I was about to reply and say that the file creation must have completed, since I didn't move the file into the importing folder until the file already existed.

But then I thought of something related that might be happening . . . the file has been created, but maybe the OCR process is still working and making changes to the file.  I'm going to check those options in the manager, I seem to remember something about an option for running during import or later.  I did install an update to the scanner software so maybe something changed then.

Thanks!  Where do you add a time delay?  I don't see that as an option when configuring the import folders.

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, mrtim said:

Where do you add a time delay?  I don't see that as an option when configuring the import folders.

On Macs we use a script behind the folder for import to  Evernote.  This allows insertion of any code we require.

Archived