At least 1 note disappeared, how to track it down?

mlevin77

Idea

I have about 700 notes.  The other day I was looking for a note and it wasn't there - searched for keywords I know were in it, and found nothing.  Luckily, I have a .enex file that I exported a few months ago, of my entire Endnote library. I did a text editor search through that enormous file and found my note. So I know it was there, and I certainly didn't delete it on purpose. What I'd like to know is,

1) is there any way to find out *what else* might be missing - if that one note is gone, there may be others - is there any way to check the current library against the .enex file and see any differences - especially, notes that are in the file but not in the current library?

2) is there any notion of history that I might see (in the on-line access for example) to ask what happened to that one note?

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, mlevin77 said:

how to track it down?

As a last resort, look for the note  in the Trash.  It may have been accidently deleted.

>:is there any way to check the current library against the .enex file and see any differences - especially, notes that are in the file but not in the current library?

I could do a compare using scripting on a Mac.  It could audit the titles and last update date.

>>is there any notion of history that I might see (in the on-line access for example) to ask what happened to that one note?

Evernote provides a note history backup.  Catch-22; you must have the note to access the history

I implemented my own Note History backup using incremental exports.  The revision history is available.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

As a last resort, look for the note  in the Trash.  It may have been accidently deleted.

>:is there any way to check the current library against the .enex file and see any differences - especially, notes that are in the file but not in the current library?

I could do a compare using scripting on a Mac.  It could audit the titles and last update date.

>>is there any notion of history that I might see (in the on-line access for example) to ask what happened to that one note?

Evernote provides a note history backup.  Catch-22; you must have the note to access the history

I implemented my own Note History backup using incremental exports.  The revision history is available.

thanks! I looked in Trash, it's not there (but the trash has tons of old stuff in it, so hasn't been emptied).

re. your script, that's a great idea! I could export as .ENEX now, and compare it to the old one and see what else is missing. Does this script exist already or are you making it?

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, mlevin77 said:

Does this script exist already or are you making it?

No, the script was just a concept I had for tracking changes on my Mac.
I never followed through.

Archived