Evernote for Mac 7.8 Beta 1

Nick L.

Hey beta testers, 

Evernote for Mac 7.8 Beta 1 is now available and you can download it here. This update doesn't contain any fixes. We're working on those. This update is focused on the template gallery and dark mode refinements. 

Improved:

• Using pre-made templates is now even easier with access to the templates gallery in-app and access to your saved templates
  • Dark mode is now available in the template gallery

Try it out and please send us your feedback. 

• Level 5

Can we please get some dev time spent on PERFORMANCE? The lag when navigating around EN, doing basic searches, hitting ⌘N to create a new note...waiting 10 seconds (not exaggerating) for the note to appear... on a 2018 Mac Mini 6-core i7 with 1TB NVMe SSD and 32GB RAM. Yes I've rebuilt and reindexed my database. No I don't have Context enabled. It's totally unbearable.

refer to https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/114767-performance-for-evernote-72-for-mac-slow/ for more stories.

Forget dark mode and other useless nonsense.

Add the feature thousands of people have been asking for in your forums for the last 10 years (do a search and see people asking for it in 2008!!!).

Multiple note depth. Tags are a very poor way to structure information for many people (I hate it). I have started to use Devonthink as they offer multiple levels of notebooks. Evernote has been the best app i have used on my mac, but you simply do not listen to your users.

Evernote has been my go-to for over 5 years, but you are adding features most couldn't care less about (dark mode??? who cares when. i can't even organise my data how i want to and the company won't listen to its users?) 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, ImolaS3 said:

Forget dark mode and other useless nonsense. Add the feature ...

You've tacked on to a discussion in the Mac forum.  Should we also forget the other platforms?

>>Tags are a very poor way to structure information for many people (I hate it). 

I have no need to structure information.  Structure is a failure of the folder filing methodology.

Tags are an excellent way to organize information for retrieval
Why do you consider tags a poor way to structure information?  I see support for a hierarchy tree.  
Notebooks seem a poor way to structure information (no hierarchy)

I forgot to add that even Brett Kelly in his guide to Evernote (Evernote Essentials) updated in 2016 to say that he gave up on tags and started to use notebooks and stacks to organise his material!! So, your 'manual' says it works 'better'

Allow deeper stacks - even 3 layers would help

DTLow -reading through the past posts, you have been regularly criticised for your view that "tags work for me, so they should work for everyone". News for you, we are not all the same as you. Shockingly, some like to work ina a different way and software should be flexible enough to allow people to work in the manner that suits them best, not force a methodology onto them.

"I have no need to structure information.  Structure is a failure of the folder filing methodology." I do have a need to structure information. Maybe the work i do is different to yours.

There is a huge user base out there asking for some decent filing structure. About time Evernote listened to the people paying their wages!

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, ImolaS3 said:

I do have a need to structure information. Maybe the work i do is different to yours.

You should be posting in an "Information Structure" discussion.  
The purpose of this discussion is for feedback on a Evernote/Mac release

>>gave up on tags and started to use notebooks 

It's just a name; I am able to work with the feature regardless of the name (folder/notebook/tag)

As to your need for structure, why is this not a solution?

376970676_ScreenShot2018-12-26at15_05_40.png.2463583a003de7fd6f13f70710194de9.png

If you could fix the fuzziness of the text it would be great. 

1324659200_ScreenShot2019-01-02at12_38_19.thumb.png.13a08997f96161ede216d9adf32b9c6b.png

The funny thing is, it's mainly in the Evernote's main window, if you open a window with a single note font it's more smooth. Are you using the anti-aliasing support on the main window? 

On 12/26/2018 at 6:10 PM, DTLow said:

You should be posting in an "Information Structure" discussion.  
The purpose of this discussion is for feedback on a Evernote/Mac release

>>gave up on tags and started to use notebooks 

It's just a name; I am able to work with the feature regardless of the name (folder/notebook/tag)

As to your need for structure, why is this not a solution?

376970676_ScreenShot2018-12-26at15_05_40.png.2463583a003de7fd6f13f70710194de9.png

Your tags need better names 😉

8 hours ago, lpuerto said:

If you could fix the fuzziness of the text it would be great. 

1324659200_ScreenShot2019-01-02at12_38_19.thumb.png.13a08997f96161ede216d9adf32b9c6b.png

The funny thing is, it's mainly in the Evernote's main window, if you open a window with a single note font it's more smooth. Are you using the anti-aliasing support on the main window? 

Currently working on it, but it won't be included in the 7.8 Update. 

Em 26/12/2018 at 19:52, DTLow disse:

You've tacked on to a discussion in the Mac forum.  Should we also forget the other platforms?

>>Tags are a very poor way to structure information for many people (I hate it). 

I have no need to structure information.  Structure is a failure of the folder filing methodology.

Tags are an excellent way to organize information for retrieval
Why do you consider tags a poor way to structure information?  I see support for a hierarchy tree.  
Notebooks seem a poor way to structure information (no hierarchy)

I agree with @DTLow. The only reason for storing information is to retrieve this information later. What you need is an efficient way to retrieve information.

Navigating an endless structure of sub-folders looking for a piece of information or looking for the place to store this information is extremely time consuming.

• Level 5
On 12/22/2018 at 11:25 AM, luckman212 said:

Seems to be a new bug: when copying text from a code block, a newline / carriage return is being appended to the end.

This is annoying (and can be dangerous) when e.g. copying commands and pasting into Terminal.

Sad to see this bug was totally ignored and allowed to make it thru to 7.8 final... sheesh.

• Level 5*
On 12/21/2018 at 4:46 PM, Nick L. said:

Evernote for Mac 7.8 Beta 1 is now available

@Nick L.:  Since Ver 7.8 GA has now been released, are you going to post a new topic for it?

There are already a couple of new topics about 7.8 bugs.  You could pull those into a new release topic.

• Level 5*
On 1/7/2019 at 5:14 AM, Eduardo Estefano said:

I agree with @DTLow. The only reason for storing information is to retrieve this information later. What you need is an efficient way to retrieve information.

Navigating an endless structure of sub-folders looking for a piece of information or looking for the place to store this information is extremely time consuming.

This is really off-topic to this thread, but since you made such a sweeping assertion, I would like to add some balance and share the benefits of  using folders.

First, like to say that the optimum organization structure is a combination of folders (Notebooks) AND tags.  They are complimentary, and each offers benefits that the other can't provide.  Just to be clear:  I like and use tags extensively, both in Evernote and in the Mac Finder.

Benefits of Using Folders

1. Provides a way to visually structure the data that is meaningful (like chapters in a book)
  2. Allows you to easily browse for items when you don't remember the keywords in the tags or title
  3. Allow you to discover related items in the same folder
  4. Some topics, like Projects, have a definite hierarchical structure
  5. An item must be placed in a folder, whereas tags are optional.  If you forget to tag, your item may get lost, whereas you always have to pick a folder.
  6. When you  choose a sub-folder, you know that all of its parent folders will be associated with the item.  Not so with a tag.  So we have to add more tags to reflect the logical parents of the tag.  This is very laborious, and thus easy to overlook/skip.

Finally, this is a very old debate/discussion, and you will find many other threads that address this issue.

ATTN Moderator:  If you prefer, you could move all of these off-topic posts about organization to a new (or existing) thread.

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

combination of folders (Notebooks) AND tags.

For structure, Folders can be equated with either Notebooks or Tags
The sub-folder analogy works better with the tag hierarchy.
I also like the option to have <none, singe, multiple> "structures"  for a note.

Archived