Has Penultimate been put out to pasture?

The last update to Penultimate was 11 months ago. There are numerous bugs we have all talked about, zero support for the new iPad pro or the apple pencil touch gestures, better syncing, templates and new papers we all have asked for. 

What are your plans for this app Evernote? Its time to invest or get off the pot. Either update the app or just improve evernote to use pencil. Either option is fine. 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the same question.

On 12/6/2018 at 9:36 PM, bjamin82 said:

The last update to Penultimate was 11 months ago. There are numerous bugs we have all talked about, zero support for the new iPad pro or the apple pencil touch gestures, better syncing, templates and new papers we all have asked for. 

What are your plans for this app Evernote? Its time to invest or get off the pot. Either update the app or just improve evernote to use pencil. Either option is fine. 

I have the same question.  When are we going to get more features?

• Level 5*
On 12/6/2018 at 1:36 PM, bjamin82 said:

No idea about Evernote"s plans; personally, I decided long ago that Penultimate is not the best app choice for handwriting and Pencil on an iPad.  I'm using app Notability; GoodNotes is also an alternative.

On 12/17/2018 at 6:45 AM, DTLow said:

No idea about Evernote"s plans; personally, I decided long ago that Penultimate is not the best app choice for handwriting and Pencil on an iPad.  I'm using app Notability; GoodNotes is also an alternative.

My issue with that is it doesn't sync with Evernote.... I would use something else that is more feature rich but I still want everything in Evernote for a lot of reasons but mainly search across hand notes with my other notes in evernote.

• 1 month later...

If I hand write notes or sketch ideas, I tend to use notability and share into Evernote once they’re complete. Clunky workflow but I still like Evernote as my central notes repository. Penultimate was great when it came out, but it’s so far behind now, and I don’t want to use an app that’s practically unsupported.

• Like 1

give Note Shelf 2 a try if auto sync to Evernote is important to you - as it is for me, works very well.

Note Shelf creates a Note in EN and all pages are sent as images automatically. You can Tag the notes, set reminders, even move to a different Notebook, no problem - Sync still works.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

My personal solution is GoodNotes, ver. 5. Version 4 is still available, but the coding resources go into ver. 5.

Handwriting and overall functionality is very good, and I like the feel-and-touch. It has the ability to search for text in all the handwritten notes / pages created, for all notebooks. This is within the App. Because they save variations of any word not clearly legible, they usually even find text where the handwriting was a bit off.

A deficit is that the new version just syncs into iCloud, nothing else. They have promised to add other services, but up to now one must export to a pdf and import this into EN to add anything to the database.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’ve invested heavily into Evernote and Penultimate. And I’m about ready to move it all off to something else, because of the lack of updating Penultimate and the non-communication of what the roadmap is for it and Evernote. We received an announcement awhile back about a new logo and a “Renewed sense of purpose”.  Evernote folks, if you are listening, it’s time to act with more than a new logo and a promise. Penultimate is now acting up with latest iOS update and is virtually unusable to me. Are you going to update it? Are you going to add pencil support to Evernote?  What is the plan? 

Regards,

Dan T. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi. I am another Penultimate user. The best part about Penultimate and Evernote, is that the notes automatically shows itself in Evernote. No need to tap and download the pdf (as compared to if u import the pdf from other apps - such as Good Notes/ Notability). The search in EN is fast, as well as within the apps itself. 

I would really appreciate it if EN can resuscitate Penultimate. Both works seamlessly , a perfect fit for writing, but like many other comments, it desperately needs some update. 

• Like 1

Noteshelf 2 integrates well with EN, but Penultimate does it better.  I don't know why EN doesn't update Penultimate, they don't need to do much to make it fairly functional.

• Level 5

Update to GN5: From what I have heared, the sync into iCloud is the only sync option they will support.😟

They are working on more export (static) options - if EN will be among the chosen apps is not known. 🎲

What is working is exporting pages (up to complete notebooks) as pdf into EN. 🤓

• 8 months later...

I use Penultimate every day. I wish Evernote will update the app. For instance, can it be so hard to make it possible to edit a Penultimate note directly in Evernote? Why is a separate Penultimate app even necessary? Secondly, can I add tags in Penultimate from the tags library in Evernote?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
43 minutes ago, Shawn Cunningham said:

Why is a separate Penultimate app even necessary?

Evernote's editor is a text based product.  Notes are stored in enml format (basically html)

Alternate editors can be used; any format file can be added as an attachment    
This is how the handwriting data is handled

Evernote did add a sketch feature in their editor; it's separate code, not core

• 7 months later...

I’m stymied as to why I can’t copy and paste content INTO Penultimate.  And I echo the frustration with not being able to edit a note created in Penultimate, directly in EN.  I will abandon Penultimate for Notability.  Already invested in Penultimate, but better to break and rebuild now.