Support for new iPad Pros and Pencil 2?

gewappnet

Idea

I know there was never a proper update to support the "old" Pencil and handwriting notes in Evernote for iOS is not really supported anyway, but wouldn't the release of the new iPad Pros and the great new Pencil be good reasons to finally make Evernote suitable for note taking on iPads? I mean you could start by just supporting Pencil 2 (double tap) and then step-by-step include full support for handwriting notes. Any plans?

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I moved the discussion to the feature request forum. 
You're right about "handwriting notes in Evernote for iOS is not really supported anyway"; just a basic sketch feature.
My approach is to use dedicated note taking apps (Noteability), and just use Evernote to store the documents.

No, it is actually not heavily developed! The last update was in January - no support for iOS 12, no support for the new iPads and of course no support for Pencil 2. It does not even support Pencil 1! Yes, I used Penultimate for years, but that was before Apple made the iPad a "real" note taking device by releasing the iPad Pro and Pencil in 2015. Penultimate and Evernote were never really updated for the iPad Pro and its possibility for taking hand written notes in a never before seen quality. I am pretty sure you don't have an iPad Pro and a Pencil and you never used one, right?

• Level 5*

I do have an iPad Pro, the original 12.9, and have a pencil. But I don't use it for note taking because I prefer a bullet journal for writing. I gave up on making Penultimate work for me years ago, but thought it might be a solution to your problem. I wasn't aware you'd heard of it. Evernote has done a good job of hiding its existence after they purchased it. Kinda like Skitch and Scannable. 

1 minute ago, EdH said:

Evernote has done a good job of hiding its existence after they purchased it. Kinda like Skitch and Scannable. 

I think the reason is that there is no development at all. It was basically made into a companion to the Adonit Jot Script. This device became completely obsolete with the release of the Pencil and instead of changing the app and its concept, Evernote decided to freeze the app as it was. At the same time they introduced this half-hearten drawing functionality within Evernote, but never developed this in a real functionality for handwritten notes.

How essential handwritten note taking has become for the iPad is obviously by looking at the Top 20 best selling iOS apps of 2018: GoodNotes 4, Notability, MyScript Nebo, Noteshelf 2, Notes Plus - 5 out of 20 best selling apps in 2018 are specific apps for handwritten notes with the Pencil.

This is a great topic and I'm surprised there isn't more energy around it. I am a 10 year EN user and rely heavily on EN Daily, but continue to struggle with finding ways to incorporate "ink" notes. I've tried them all, you name it - GoodNotes 4, Penultimate, Notability, MyScript Nebo, Noteshelf 2, Notes Plus as noted above....but all lack a true integration where changes made reflect in EN and for me, the biggest interest, is being able to make ink notes within the note (not just at the bottom of the note like the add "ink" function currently works). OneNote does this well. Good discussion, and looking forward to some progress here given (as gewappnet noted), handwritten notes is a huge drive in IOS apps. 

Archived