Evernote Web Clipper stopped working - Chrome update responsible?

EdB

Today Chrome updated to v71 and at the same time Evernote Web Clipper stopped working.

• First thing that happens when I try to use it is a pop-up window appears saying I'm now logged in. This pop-up window shows up every time I try to use the clipper.
  • Then a smaller window appears about cookies... "Evernote Web Clipper uses cookies to identify your account..."
  • Finally, all Evernote overlays disappear and I'm back to the article I wanted to clip.

I've made no changes to Chrome or Evernote that could cause this. Any ideas?

Windows 10 up to date, desktop and laptop both behaving exactly the same way.

Thanks,

EdB

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Same thing is happening to me after turning on my computer this morning.

the Evernote Clipper Version 7.8.0 is no longer working properly

Message when I hover over the green elephant: 
Clip to Evernote
Has access to this site

See two attachments for the details.

Clipper 1.png

Clipper 2.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I contacted Evernote support and they offered this solution.

Please navigate to chrome://settings/content/cookies in your browser's URL bar and make sure that "Allow sites to save and read cookie data" is selected, and that "Block third party cookies" is not selected.

I was blocking third party cookies. After I gave permission to permit third party cookies, the clipper started working again. 

IT BUGS ME that Evernote requires me to let other unknown companies track me with their own cookies

• Like 1

Well, thanks for the fix, jbenson2, but It bugs me too. I now have to allow third party cookies just to use the very tool I use most in Evernote? What changed? Was it in Chrome or Evernote? Or is this Evernote-the-company turning into Facebook, mining users' data? 😯  

Ed

• Like 3
  • Level 5

Unfortunately, we will never find out.

My hunch is something changed with Chrome, but they have been promoting their security capabilities, so I am left scratching my head. 

• 2 weeks later...

This fixed it for me:

Go into your cookie settings in Chrome and look for where it says, under the Cookies tab, "Allow"

This allows you to whitelist sites. 

Enter [*.]evernote.com 

click "Save"

The web clipper should now work even with 3rd party cookies disallowed

• 4 months later...

Hi

SInce some days ago, it is happening to me

I have whitelisted cookies from evernote.com ([*.]evernote.com is not allowed), and allow third party cookies, but it doesn't work

Chrome version: Versión 75.0.3770.54 (Build oficial) beta (64 bits)

image.png.77c8ba84b3219884daf06460e2a9b8ff.png

What can I do?

4 hours ago, poliorcetes said:

Hi

SInce some days ago, it is happening to me

I have whitelisted cookies from evernote.com ([*.]evernote.com is not allowed), and allow third party cookies, but it doesn't work

Chrome version: Versión 75.0.3770.54 (Build oficial) beta (64 bits)

image.png.77c8ba84b3219884daf06460e2a9b8ff.png

What can I do?

Thanks for reporting this. We've got some other reports about this issue this week. It seems that this is isolated to Chrome beta versions 75 and 76. Our development team is currently investigating the root cause to determine the best way to correct this issue.

While not ideal, a workaround is to use the non-beta Chrome version (version 74).

I appreciate your time and understanding while we work to resolve the issue.