Public note links

Don Reba

Idea

The internal note link functionality is such a mess when it comes to publicly accessible notes. For some reason, Evernote has different "public" and "internal" links, where one kind is only useful in a browser, and one is only useful in the client. So, I have to put two links, public and local, in place of every note link in my publicly shared notes.

Public links are only useful in a browser because they open a new browser window, even if when clicked in the client.

Local links are only useful in the client because they are not publicly accessible from the browser, even if the target note is.

This is really annoying. I want to be able to make just one note link and have it do the right thing in the client and in the browser.

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, Don Reba said:

I have to put two links, public and local, in place of every note link in my publicly shared notes.

Hi.  Why is this exactly?  The local links will only work on the computer that created the note;  the public links will generate a web page from which someone can read,  but not edit the content.. unless you happen to be the owner of the note,  in which case you will be logged into Evernote Web and able to edit the note as necessary.  If your notes / notebooks are shared publicly,  you should be able to use purely public links to navigate around them.

30 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Why is this exactly?  The local links will only work on the computer that created the note;  the public links will generate a web page from which someone can read,  but not edit the content.. unless you happen to be the owner of the note,  in which case you will be logged into Evernote Web and able to edit the note as necessary.  If your notes / notebooks are shared publicly,  you should be able to use purely public links to navigate around them. 

If I click a public link in the client, it will take me to a web page. So I have to add a local link to be able to navigate to that same note in the client.

And, no, local links don't only work on the computer that created the note. They work on any device. They even work on the web, but require me to log in.

• Level 5*

In my view 'local links' are the ones that start out evernote:/// and really do only point directly to the UI of the note in the local app.  Have a look at this thread which goes into linking - a lot.  

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, Don Reba said:

For some reason, Evernote has different "public" and "internal" links, where one kind is only useful in a browser, and one is only useful in the client.

Evernote supports 3 types of links
- private classic internal/in-app links (evernote///view/....)
- private browser links (https:www.evernote.com/...)
- public browser links  (https:www.evernote.com/...)

I use the type that's appropriate for the use; mostly the classic link on my Mac and iPad
For web platform, you would use the browser links

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

In my view 'local links' are the ones that start out evernote:/// and really do only point directly to the UI of the note in the local app.  Have a look at this thread which goes into linking - a lot.   

Yeah, those links work across clients and on the web. They don't just point to the the UI of the note in the local app. Although, that's beside the point.

And, not to brag, but I've written a fully featured Evernote client, myself. So, I have a fairly good idea how it works.

5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Evernote supports 3 types of links
- classic internal/in-app links
- private browser links
- public browser links

I use the type that's appropriate for the  use.

Not sure what point you are trying to make.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Don Reba said:

Not sure what point you are trying to make.

The point  is you seem confused about note links and  "publicly accessible notes".  
For public access, there is only one link type to use.

13 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The point  is you seem confused about "Public Note Links" and  "publicly accessible notes".  
For public access, there is only one link type to use.

I explained how this type of link is inadequate. Do you disagree with something I said?

• Level 5*
On 12/4/2018 at 5:42 PM, Don Reba said:

I explained how this type of link is inadequate. Do you disagree with something I said?

I moved the discussion from the Evernote/Web forum to the General Request forum.
Public note links do not launch the Evernote/Web app

"So, I havto put two links, public and local, in place of every note link in my publicly shared notes"
Since it's a public note, I just include the public link.
It's not a good idea to allow your in-app links to be accessible by the public.

>>Public links are only useful in a browser because they open a new browser window, even if when clicked in the client.

Confirmed (the public link opens in a browser)
- view access but no editing.
I get a button to open the note in Evernote/Web (if I need edit mode)594559567_ScreenShot2018-12-04at20_36_03.png.c2c2b127a97941ebaa1036fceff285e7.png

>>Local links are only useful in the client ...

I use classic internal/in-app links on my Mac and iPad.  They are functional inside the app, and externally; i.e browser, other apps, ...

• Level 5*

...On the general point,  I have a 'website' driven from public links for Evernote notes.  I like it,  because all those notes are in one notebook so easily identifiable in my normal installed client.  If I make changes in the client,  those changes are seamlessly updated (after a sync) to the public pages which are accessed by others,  from the public links.  I don't have to worry about the public links (other than to set up the links),  I just deal with the notes in that notebook.

Archived