Mojave Accessibility permissions

Evernote has just popped up a permissions request for Accessibility access. Is this legitimate? In System Preferences / Security & Privacy / Privacy / Accessibility, MacOS notes: "Allow the apps below to control your computer."  What am I allowing Evernote to do with this access?

MacOS Mojave 10.14.1

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 12/3/2018 at 12:42 AM, jensen_g said:

Evernote has just popped up a permissions request for Accessibility access. Is this legitimate? In System Preferences / Security & Privacy / Privacy / Accessibility, MacOS notes: "Allow the apps below to control your computer."  What am I allowing Evernote to do with this access?

MacOS Mojave 10.14.1

Hmmn.  This is a (mainly) user supported website,  so AFAIK we don't have any technical information to share.  Evernote is more likely to respond to a support request through the usual channels by a subscriber,  or via Twitter from Basic users.  There's some basic information here -

On 12/2/2018 at 5:42 PM, jensen_g said:

MacOS Mojave 10.14.1

First, I AM NOT EMPLOYED by Evernote. Just a fellow user letting you know what I think.  Evernote requests this in order to allow you to use all the features. I can't tell you exactly what items it enabled as I didn't think twice about it when I installed it so I really didn't look. I do know that it is legitimate though. 

Here's an article that explains why this pops up and what it means. I didn't read the whole thing and I don't think that it mentioned  Evernote specifically but might help shed some light on it. https://www.howtogeek.com/297083/why-do-some-mac-apps-need-to-control-this-computer-using-accessibility-features/

I agree that for Evernote specific questions on this a support ticket or Twitter would be your best option.

Edited by Sayre Ambrosio
Added link
  • Like 2
  • 7 months later...
  • Level 5

Hallo, 1st read the link above that explains in general what the permission is used for, and why it is necessary.

Examples from my experience are:

- If you open a pdf in an EN note, you can open is in Mac Preview directly, use the editing tools of this app, and it will perfectly reflect on the note inside of EN, even while you are still drawing. No need to first export and then file it back.

- Open an application related to an attachment in a note, like Office or a photo editor, from inside of EN.

Because MacApps run pretty sandboxed, they need permission to influence each other over the apps boundaries.

If you want something official, you can issue a support ticket.

• Like 1