Where is the EN database on MAC

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, Mata Hari said:

how do I find the database on my computer and in Time Machine

To identify the database folder location in version 7.6
Hold down the option key and click Help > Troubleshooting > Open Database Folder975155894_ScreenShot2018-12-02at15_47_34.png.501faf33e667295c14a4c85f6cc99af8.png
Your database folder has a name similar to 1234567

>>I would like to recover previous notes

fyi   If it's a question of deleted notes, they are moved to the Trash and can be easily restored

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Mata Hari said:

I do not have the TroubleShooting option under the Help menu (version 7.6)

Did you hold down the option key while clicking Help?

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Mata Hari said:

And now that I have this folder 7608426, what can I do with it ??

Following up on your original post; You can access data in your Time Machine backup.  
Be careful about the sync process; it will update your data from the servers and may undo reloads.

>>BTW, what does it mean to recreate the full text search index?

The text search feature uses the search index.  Occasionally the index becomes corrupted, or out-of-date.
Rebuilding the search index will start fresh; examining all your data.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Mata Hari said:

This is 18 steps with many warnings, the author also says that he did not even try it so he does not know if it works
So this is extremely complex. Is there no easier way to retrieve from TM ?

1593070695_ScreenShot2018-12-05at07_22_36.png.fcbb4bb8ca2035b06708e6aad1d7ced7.pngIf you know the specific folder for a note, you can access it directly
For example, the screenshot is my journal note

(I use a script to identify this folder)

Here are the steps I have done

1: Saved all notes to both Enex and Html as a precaution

2: EN menu - Help - Trouble Shooting - Open Find Database folder.  

3: TM - go to july 2018 and searched. I found it there. Retrieved to Desktop

4: Trashed the folder in 2: and replaced with the new database folder

It did not make any difference

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, Mata Hari said:

4: Trashed the folder in 2: and replaced with the new database folder

It did not make any difference

Was there a step 5. Sync data with the server?

The Mac copy of your database was December 2018 data.  
The master version on the servers is December 2018 data

When you replaced the database with the July 2018 database, your Mac copy becomes July 2018 data

When you run a sync, the process updates your Mac data from servers, updating your data to December 2018

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Mata Hari said:

This is 18 steps with many warnings, the author also says that he did not even try it so he does not know if it works
So this is extremely complex. Is there no easier way to retrieve from TM ?

While I have not tested the entire process start-to-finish, I have tested all of the parts.  I have been providing this process for over 3 years now, and I've never had anyone state that it did not work.  But it is intended more as a guide, than a cookbook process.  The user executing the process should understand each step, and change if his/her situation so dictates.  If you, or anyone, has any questions, please post on the process thread, and I will answer.

It is complex because Evernote has NOT provided us with a direct method of restoring from TM Backup selected Notes, and restoring selected files, which may be hidden, is not simple with TM.  Because it has to be so manual, there are some opportunities to go wrong.  So I have tried to provide warnings as appropriate.

I wrote this procedure after working with many users over a year or so, who were trying to restore their Notes, and having a lot of trouble.

So, bottom line, AFAIK, there is no easy way to restore your Notes.  Other posters may throw out a few lines here and there, but I've not seen a complete process anywhere else.

Good luck, and if you  find a simpler way, please post your complete process so all can benefit.

It is a big surprise that some ENEX files cannot be imported.  I wonder if there are other apps that open ENEX
Just last wednesday I wrote that I have exported to ENEX. Now again, i cannot import these. 
So the only backup option is html ?  
Why does EN make backup complicated?

6 hours ago, Mata Hari said:

It is a big surprise that some ENEX files cannot be imported.  I wonder if there are other apps that open ENEX
Just last wednesday I wrote that I have exported to ENEX. Now again, i cannot import these. 
So the only backup option is html ?  
Why does EN make backup complicated?

You can use Apple Notes in a Mac to import enex files. It's in the File > Import menu. 

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, Mata Hari said:

Apple Notes resembles EN -  how would you compare them?

Apple Notes is focused on the editor features.
In edition to editor features, Evernote is also focused on filing features. 

Evernote is multi-platform.

Apple Notes does not have an export feature (you can print to pdf)

What do you mean by "filing feature" and "editor feature"?

My observation:
Apple Notes does not export multiple documents, has no tags, has only one folder level
It has no navigation buttons

EN hierarchy (tree) is notes, notebook and stacks
EN has also Recent list and back button for navigation.  So I use EN 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Mata Hari said:

My observation:
Apple Notes does not export multiple documents, has no tags, has only one folder level whereas EN has notes, notebook and stacks

And that's what I mean by filing features.  
Also, Evernote notes are containers for file attachments (most of my notes contain attachments).

Apple Notes are basically a note that you edit.

Archived