unknown device

I have a free account, using my computer and android phone. For the 3rd time, maybe monthly, I get locked out because an iphone is now in the list. I get 'iphone - last used 4 days ago'. 
Is someone trying to use my account, a hack, or is this an Evernote scam, to get people to go premium?
And E'note only seems to answer questions for pay users. If I'm at the computer, I can easily delete the unknown phone. But it's still annoying. Thanks

• Level 5*

Evernote had a problem with the device list, but indicates it should be resolved now

This could indicate an authorized access to your account by someone who know's your password.
You should change your password, and only use it for Evernote.  Don't use the same password on other sites.

• Ex Employees
6 hours ago, DTLow said:

Evernote had a problem with the device list, but indicates it should be resolved now

FYI, my understanding of the problem with the devices that several users reported on the forum is that it was specific to daylight savings on November 4th. Short story is that during the 1 hour time window where we repeated an hour (due to rolling back clock), the system essentially thought that requests from the same device were two different devices due to DST and time zone. Problem was fixed up and nobody should see the issue anymore.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Level 5

Hi, and welcome to the forums! Did you read through the thread and check out some of the suggestions? Main thing is to be sure you use a unique password for Evernote, as hackers are using stolen lists of passwords for other sites to try to get into Evernote.

• Level 5

If locked out because of Basic and number of devices, use the web client.

Change your Login password to one that is both unique and random, and has at least a mix of 15 letters, both lower and upper case, numbers and symbols. Never reuse passwords, and do not modify used passwords only a little to make a „new“ one. EN has not been hacked, but there are a lot of login lists circulating in the internet stolen elsewhere. The only way to handle today’s number of accounts and passwords IMHO is a password manager.

After you did this, it is highly recommended to activate 2-factor authentication. For basic Accounts there is only Google Authenticator as an option. Use it, because it makes a) stealing accounts nearly impossible and b) you will get an e-mail in the future when somebody tries to enter your account.

• 3 months later...
On 11/28/2018 at 7:04 PM, jondoe888 said:

I have a free account, using my computer and android phone. For the 3rd time, maybe monthly, I get locked out because an iphone is now in the list. I get 'iphone - last used 4 days ago'. 
Is someone trying to use my account, a hack, or is this an Evernote scam, to get people to go premium?
And E'note only seems to answer questions for pay users. If I'm at the computer, I can easily delete the unknown phone. But it's still annoying. Thanks

I have a simillar problem, and i think the E'note tryin to get me subscribed. It wasn't problem before it kicks my real phone by the app, and now I cant connect from it. App says: "the number of deletion and addition of new devices is exceeded, you cannot connect this device". But I don’t know where this fkn iPhone comes from every time, it appears approximately once every 2-3 weeks. I logged only by Google and logged out of any other device which I don't use. WTF EVERNOTE?!

• Level 5

This means that probably your password is compromised.

First step is to go to your account using the web client. Before you proceed, change your PW to a unique password, not used for other services as well, following the rules for strong passwords. Best is to use a password manager to help you with creating and handling of passwords.

Once you have changed your account login, go to the devices page and throw the unknown device out of your account.

For an extra layer of security, you could as well activate 2-FA. Since you are on Basic, you have to use Google Authenticator for this.

If you did it right, the unknown device should not be able to return.

• Level 5*
On 11/29/2019 at 1:58 PM, Anatoliy Trots said:

I have a simillar problem, and i think the E'note tryin to get me subscribed. It wasn't problem before it kicks my real phone by the app, and now I cant connect from it. App says: "the number of deletion and addition of new devices is exceeded, you cannot connect this device". But I don’t know where this fkn iPhone comes from every time, it appears approximately once every 2-3 weeks. I logged only by Google and logged out of any other device which I don't use. WTF EVERNOTE?!

Not sure if this is related but Evernote recently made a change for Basic customers in how many times you can unsync devices per month.

• 3 weeks later...

This just happened to me too. Just like you said it there was an IPhone device shown as last sync 4 days ago. I removed the device and changed my password but I am wonder if the problem was really fixed. I mean I am a basic subscriber and should only be able to have two devices synced at anytime and my phone and PC have been linked for as long as I can remember. So how could a third device (the unknown IPhone) sync as well???? Something doesn't add up.