Jump to content

Select multiple notes -- how (in Windows)?


Recommended Posts

  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, djlewis@triadic.com said:

How do I select multiple notes?

For example, I'd like to delete large batches of old notes.

Thanks. --David

Same way you select multiple files in file explorer; Click and Shift+RightLeftClick for a sequential group or Ctrl+LeftClick to create the group one at a time.

Link to comment

Hi, CalS:

In file explorer, that's left-click and shift-LEFT-click -- right-click opens the context menu with or without shift.

But none of that works in EN. As soon as I mouse to the end of the sequence of notes to be selected, EN focuses there, and any click just opens that one note, rather than select the swath I am trying to select.

--David

Link to comment
  • Level 5*
37 minutes ago, djlewis@triadic.com said:

Hi, CalS:

In file explorer, that's left-click and shift-LEFT-click -- right-click opens the context menu with or without shift.

But none of that works in EN. As soon as I mouse to the end of the sequence of notes to be selected, EN focuses there, and any click just opens that one note, rather than select the swath I am trying to select.

--David

Thanks and oops, brain far#.  For me, left click the first note, use the scroll bar if need be to get to the last note, hold the shift and left click the last note should highlight the group,

Link to comment
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, CalS said:

For me, left click the first note, use the scroll bar if need be to get to the last note, hold the shift and left click the last note should highlight the group,

Or if it's a reasonably short list, you can use the scroll wheel if you have one to get to the end, and then Shift+LeftClick to select the sequence. My my mouse has a button you can press that makes the scroll wheel spin freely, so it can move quite a distance on one spin.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Level 5*
12 hours ago, jefito said:

Or if it's a reasonably short list, you can use the scroll wheel if you have one to get to the end, and then Shift+LeftClick to select the sequence. My my mouse has a button you can press that makes the scroll wheel spin freely, so it can move quite a distance on one spin.

For sure.  For me when it comes to multi note select typically all notes are visible on one screen (benefit of information density of Side List view) or it is Ctrl+A.  

Link to comment
  • Level 5
23 hours ago, djlewis@triadic.com said:

Hi, CalS:

In file explorer, that's left-click and shift-LEFT-click -- right-click opens the context menu with or without shift.

But none of that works in EN. As soon as I mouse to the end of the sequence of notes to be selected, EN focuses there, and any click just opens that one note, rather than select the swath I am trying to select.

--David

What format are you using for the Note List (snippet, card, list, thumbnail)? I wonder if that could play a role.

Link to comment
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, djlewis@triadic.com said:

The problem was using the web interface via firefox. But EN just prohibited that, so I bit the bullet and signed up (and paid) to use the native windows app.  I have now managed to delete the hundreds of old notes and found a way to delete en masse the hundreds of now empty tags.

Thanks for all your help!

Oops, should have asked.  Being in the Windows forum generated some confusion.  Oh well, glad it is sorted.

Link to comment
  • 7 months later...

Greeting all. 

Long time EN user on Mac. Currently migrating my entire life to Windows 10. So learning to use EN on Windows 10. 

I am unable to select multiple notes in the note list of EN. 

I understand from reading above that I should be able to use ctrl-left click to select multiple notes or use shift-lift click to select a series.  I con do these things in windows explorer with files no problem. So it's not a matter of not knowing how to do the clicks. 

But no matter what I do in EN, I can only select one note at a time. 

The one exception is that I can do a ctrl-A to select all notes in the list. But that's not what I need to do. 

Very frustrating? Anyone have any guidance on how to figure out what's wrong? 

I am on version: 

6.19.2.8555 (308555) Public (CE Build ce-62.3.7750)

Calvin 

 

Link to comment
  • Level 5*
47 minutes ago, Calvin.Powers said:

Greeting all. 

Long time EN user on Mac. Currently migrating my entire life to Windows 10. So learning to use EN on Windows 10. 

I am unable to select multiple notes in the note list of EN. 

I understand from reading above that I should be able to use ctrl-left click to select multiple notes or use shift-lift click to select a series.  I con do these things in windows explorer with files no problem. So it's not a matter of not knowing how to do the clicks. 

But no matter what I do in EN, I can only select one note at a time. 

The one exception is that I can do a ctrl-A to select all notes in the list. But that's not what I need to do. 

Very frustrating? Anyone have any guidance on how to figure out what's wrong? 

I am on version: 

6.19.2.8555 (308555) Public (CE Build ce-62.3.7750)

Calvin 

 

Try shutting everything down and rebooting the PC.  

Link to comment
  • Level 5

Works on both desktop clients, in the respective way how you do multiple selections in the given OS. EN does not deviate from the „usual way to do things“ in either client.

But as the saying goes, being on Windows is like being on a dived submarine: You open the first window, and immediately the problems start.

Just made it to my first Mac after 25+ years using Windows ...

Link to comment
  • 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Vince Giordano said:

Ctrl+Left click does not select multiple notes.

Works for me.  Click on a note and then

  • Shift + Left click to select a range of notes that are in sequence
  • Ctrl + Left click to select a group of notes one note at a time that aren't in sequence

Standard Windows stuff.

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2020 at 8:03 AM, Vince Giordano said:

Ctrl+Left click does not select multiple notes.

This works for the desktop version but not the web version - just downloaded the desktop version and finally understood what everyone is talking about --- wish it were available on web!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Level 5*
On 8/9/2020 at 11:33 AM, alisonBslp said:

This works for the desktop version but not the web version

Yes, it's important to understand that Evernote/Windows is different from Evernote/Web

Link to comment
  • 10 months later...
On 11/27/2018 at 7:04 PM, CalS said:

Thanks and oops, brain far#.  For me, left click the first note, use the scroll bar if need be to get to the last note, hold the shift and left click the last note should highlight the group,

Wow that is so bad.  I finally got it t work.  Even when I'm scrolling down, nothing is highlighting and there is the evernote "elephant" with a circle throughout implying it's not an operation.

 

For the record I'm using legacy.  I tried the new evernote and it was freezing my new yoga and it looked like a kids app.  I'm too afraid to see if it's got any better.

Link to comment
  • Level 5*
22 hours ago, chrisvcooper@gmail.com said:

Wow that is so bad.  I finally got it t work.  Even when I'm scrolling down, nothing is highlighting and there is the evernote "elephant" with a circle throughout implying it's not an operation.

 

For the record I'm using legacy.  I tried the new evernote and it was freezing my new yoga and it looked like a kids app.  I'm too afraid to see if it's got any better.

I'm still using legacy as well.  The above still works well there for me.  New version still too slow for my liking.

Link to comment
  • Level 5
22 hours ago, chrisvcooper@gmail.com said:

Wow that is so bad.  I finally got it t work.  Even when I'm scrolling down, nothing is highlighting and there is the evernote "elephant" with a circle throughout implying it's not an operation.

For the record I'm using legacy.  I tried the new evernote and it was freezing my new yoga and it looked like a kids app.  I'm too afraid to see if it's got any better.

Yes, and for the record  you are obviously beside the point. You reference to a post by @CalS from July 2020.

Back then EN v10 for Windows was not even released. This means you are mouthing about a post that meant „legacy“, and say how bad it is (in v10, I assume).

You can say about v10 what you want, for sure it is not beyond criticism. Anyhow selecting multiple notes is working, taking into account that it is limited to a maximum of 50 notes at the moment.

On my desktop client selected notes are marked by a blue frame. It is not only possible to select a sequence, you can pick individual notes and group them together as well. In Legacy you get them stacked together as a giant deck of cards. UI-wise it looks different, both methods are working.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...