When pasting from clipboard Evernote changes file type to png

6.16.4.8094 (308094) Public (CE Build ce-58.1.6897)

Summary: I have a jpg in the clipboard and when I paste it in Evernote it turns into a png file. Dragging jpgs works fine though.

I capture the screen with FastStone, which is set to save as jpg. In fact, it auto-saves in a folder as jpg and it auto sends to clipboard as well.

One would think that pasting said clipboard contents into Evernote would paste the same format, but it doesn't. It pastes png files, which are substantially larger (as in increasing a 39 KB file to over 300 KB).

If, however, I drag the jpg from my screenshot folder to evernote, it remains a jpg.

I come across a thread in which Evernote was changing formats on Macs back in 2015 and it turned out to be a bug, so maybe something crept in recently?

If anyone can reproduce before I put in a ticket that would be great.

• Level 5*

Curious. I don't have FastStone, since I use the Evernote screen clipper, so I can't reproduce that case. I created a new note with the same build. Found a JPG in Explorer, and right-click / Copy'ed it to the clipboard, and then pasted into my new note. Did the same for a .PNG file as well. They were both preserved in the note as their original formats. I guess this is similar to dragging an image into an Evernote note.

The only think I can suggest is to download a clipboard format display program to see what format(s) FastStone is actually storing on the clipboard when it . I use a couple: Clipboard Format Spy and Free Clipboard Viewer. I doubt that this is related to the Mac Evernote, since they're pretty much separate code bases.

I'll check-out those clipboard format disply programs, thanks.

When I do what you did I always get the correct format.  The issue arises when I select something on the screen using a clipping program (including the Windows Snipping Tool) and then paste directly. So no image is saved anywhere. It's like Print Screen where the result just goes to the clipboard, and then you paste. That's what is always png. Drag and drop and Copy Paste work the way they are supposed to.

Edit - Now I'm wondering where the clipboard gets its format info...

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, lisec said:

Edit - Now I'm wondering where the clipboard gets its format info...

It's put there by the program that stores whatever's being clipped.  An application can put multiple formats up, so that more programs are able to take advantage of what's up there. For example, if you clip some text from Word, then it's going to be up there with formatting (e.g., RTF, HTML), but simple text editors don't tend to understand formatted text; what they really want is plain text, and Word puts that up there as well. Receiving programs can pick what's most convenient for them.

Longer form: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/dataxchg/clipboard-formats

Archived