Add Search option to "Search in Title"

suntereo

Idea

This is for the Mac desktop app.  The request is to add "Title" inside the "Add search option" list. When selected, it would only search the provided text inside the note title (as opposed to the "contains" or "source" options).

I've been a long-time premium member for quite a while. Now I have so many notes that the search feature is practically unusable. I have considered dumping Evernote over it and moving to another platform. I think this simple feature change would fix the problem for me.  For example, I know I have notes that I created with the title "Class X term paper."  I would like to simply type "paper" and have it only return notes containing that title. Instead, I get seemingly every note in my large datastore, almost all of which have nothing to do with my term papers. It's so frustrating!

Thanks,

Shawn--

(search title, title search)

8 replies to this idea

On 11/23/2018 at 11:41 AM, suntereo said:

This is for the Mac desktop app.  The request is to add "Title" inside the "Add search option" list. When selected, it would only search the provided text inside the note title (as opposed to the "contains" or "source" options).

I've been a long-time premium member for quite a while. Now I have so many notes that the search feature is practically unusable. I have considered dumping Evernote over it and moving to another platform. I think this simple feature change would fix the problem for me.  For example, I know I have notes that I created with the title "Class X term paper."  I would like to simply type "paper" and have it only return notes containing that title. Instead, I get seemingly every note in my large datastore, almost all of which have nothing to do with my term papers. It's so frustrating!

Thanks,

Shawn--

(search title, title search)

I agree 100%.  In fact, it's hard to believe this isn't one of the default options.  

Please let's add this option to the list.  Better yet, why not list *all* the possible search options to that menu?  Are they supposed to be secret?  They're not even included in the built-in help. 

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, AppleUser said:

Better yet, why not list *all* the possible search options to that menu?

There are a lot of search options available but not in an easy to use format.  I agree, a search window with all the options available would be very helpful and useful, especially for new users.

• Level 5*
On 11/23/2018 at 11:41 AM, suntereo said:

The request is to add "Title" inside the "Add search option" list.

I agree.

42 minutes ago, AppleUser said:

Better yet, why not list *all* the possible search options to that menu?

Agreed.

I'd like to take it step further, and make it very easy to use/navigate this "Add Search option" via keyboard:
(this is just an example;  not perfect;  to illustrate the idea.)

1. The user presses ⌘⌥F, or cicks in the Search box, to activate Search
  2. The Search dropdown shows, but with the "Add Search Option" at the top.
  3. The "Add Search Option" can be activated by mouse click, or by pressing the ⌃+ keystroke
  4. When the "Add Search Option" menu is shown, then the user should be able to navigate/select the option of interest by typing the first few characters of the menu item
    • This actually already works like this
  5. Once the user has selected the Search Option (like "Tag", or "Title"), the focus should auto move to the menu popup with further choices, so that the user could select the choice by typing the name (like the name of the tag)
  6. At this point if the user presses RETURN, then he/she is done and the option is added to the Search box
  7. But if then the user could press ⌃+ to add another option, or press RETURN again to run the search

Archived