(Archived) run evernote 3 on 2 computers: one with no internet access

I currently run evernote 2.2 on my work computer and find it very useful. I'm trying evernote 3 beta and love the idea of online access to my information. I have installed evernote 3 both at home and at work. My computer at work is set to only allow ie to access the internet. (don't ask me about my IT dept's security measures...}

Anyhow, I was wondering if I can run evernote 3 strictly offline at work, carry the files home on a SD card, which I sync to my home computer (also running evernote 3) which would then propagate those notes online.

The best option is to use the Portable installation of Evernote on your USB stick (in this case the local storage file will be placed on your USB stick also, and you will be able to use it on any computer, syncing the notes to the service occasionally when there is Internet connection available.

To setup Evernote Portable on your USB disk, plug in the flash drive, run Evernote, then select 'Tools' > 'Install Evernote Portable' and choose the folder to install it to (e.g. X:\My Evernote Files\, where X: is the flash drive letter)

Does evernote 3 have a portable installation? I am interested in maintaining the web aspect of evernote 3.

Also, the old versions of evernote portable didn't support OCR in images if I recall. That's a function that I use a fair amount.

Thanks for your response...I'd like to hear more.

Does evernote 3 have a portable installation? I am interested in maintaining the web aspect of evernote 3.

Also, the old versions of evernote portable didn't support OCR in images if I recall. That's a function that I use a fair amount.

Yes, Evernote 3has portable mode -- see my post above for details on how to install it. Portable installation does have all the features (including AIR).

Yes, Evernote 3has portable mode -- see my post above for details on how to install it. Portable installation does have all the features (including AIR).

Huh. If the portable version has all the features, is there any reason why I would want to use the non portable version at all?

Huh. If the portable version has all the features, is there any reason why I would want to use the non portable version at all?

There are several reasons:

1) Clippers (IE, FF, Outlook, Thunderbird). These can be registered only on the machine where you install desktop Evernote. The only exception is Universal Clipper which perfectly works in portable mode, too.

2) GDS integration + evernote3:// protocol handling is available in the desktop version of Evernote only.

3) Only desktop version of Evernote supports auto-updates. To update the portable version, you should install/update the desktop version first, then one more time use the Tools > Install Portable Evernote to install it over the old copy of Evernote Portable onto the USB stick.

All these reasons are driven by the fact that portable version of Evernote doesn't touch the registry of the host computer at all, and the features mentioned above require writing to the registry and/or otherwise modifying the settings on the host computer.

iafanasyev,

When I run EN 3 portable from memory stick it asks to log on, then gives the following error.

Just for clarity:

1) The error appears when you try to enter a new account name/password into EN3 Portable, but no error in desktop Evernote in the same situation, right?

2) Does the error appear immediately after you press the [Open] button, or after some time? In other words, do you see any delay between pressing the [Open] button and the error?

3) How much free memory does you memory stick have?

4) Can you try to install Evernote portable onto another flash drive (not a memory stick, but an ordinary USB drive)?

ifanasyev,

1) Yes only appears when trying to enter account details on EN3 portable. No error in EN3 desktop

2) Appears immediately on pressing open button. Perhaps 2 second delay.

3) It is a 512Mb stick with 388 currently free. My EN 2 portable and database is also installed on this stick. Not sure if that has some relevance.

4) I have just installed EN3 portable on a 1GB SD flash card and it is behaving properly. Logged in satisfactorily and is currently updating client database as I type.

Given these facts, I suppose the likelihood is that it is either a physical space issue with the usb stick or that EN3 portable does not like to be installed alongside EN2 portable.

I need to use EN 2 or 3 portable on my work PC as we are not allowed to install any software on the PC, and it is running IE 6 which is not currently supported for the web client.

Archived