EverNote Backup and Restore

Bill Wolfe

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, Bill Wolfe said:

Is there a simple way to backup and restore the Basic EverNote?

Backup/restore is possible on the Mac/Windows platforms.

1. A full copy of the data is stored on the device.
    We can back up the database folder.1481867671_ScreenShot2018-11-21at09_56_18.png.56aaabc4c8c912e48382ed875f6c88cd.png
  2. The app includes an Export feature.

The restore part is more complicated, but is do-able.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

does evernote back up old data, so it can be retrived or does it just store what is on your computer for that day? So if you delete from your computer a note, then in a month you would like to retrieve that note, this is not possible? I understand deleted notes are in trash file, however if the note is gone from trash, is there no way to retrive?

thank you

Murphy

• Level 5*
On 2/18/2019 at 9:45 PM, murphy signs said:

does evernote back up old data, so it can be retrived or does it just store what is on your computer for that day? So if you delete from your computer a note, then in a month you would like to retrieve that note, this is not possible? I understand deleted notes are in trash file, however if the note is gone from trash, is there no way to retrive?

For desktop devices (Win, Mac), Evernote keeps a full copy of your data on your local machine, unless you you have "on demand sync" enabled, which is a Windows feature (don't know about Mac).

Aside from that, Evernote stores all of your Evernote data except for local notebooks on its servers, so long as you are online, which is required for syncing.

Evernote also keeps note histories, generated every so often, also stored in the Evernote servers; paying customers can access these.

• Level 5*
On 2/18/2019 at 6:45 PM, murphy signs said:

Personal backups are required to retrieve data from notes deleted and expunged from the Trash.

Evernote is a cloud service; internal backups are done at the server.  
The only access to these backups is via Note History which requires access to the note (catch-22 😏)

• Level 5*
On 2/18/2019 at 9:45 PM, murphy signs said:

I understand deleted notes are in trash file, however if the note is gone from trash, is there no way to retrive?

As mentioned, you need to have a version of the note in your database in order to access any of that note's history.  If you have nothing to grab history from then reach out to customer support.  If the note has lived long enough to have been captured during one of their backups then I think they can retrieve it for you.  

• Level 5*
On 2/18/2019 at 7:45 PM, murphy signs said:

I understand deleted notes are in trash file, however if the note is gone from trash, is there no way to retrieve?

Nope.  Only from your own backups.

Archived