Evernote for Mac 7.6

Nick L.

Idea

Hey Folks,

Evernote for Mac 7.6 is here, and we're happy to announce Dark Mode moving forward. More information can be read here.

Improvements and fixes:

• Dark Mode
  • Accessibility fixes
  • Many crash fixes

Known issues: 

• Spotlight search results are not populating for Mojave users

Special thanks to all our Beta testers for helping us catch and squash bugs. Enjoy!

31 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
52 minutes ago, mburk said:

It's a pain to have to click between the tabs.

Can you explain why you would be be moving back and forth.
Personally, I rarely use the reminders view.

I use the reminders extensively. But in the previous version the reminders were pinned to the top of the note list view, so both were visible in a single column. Now there are tabs for “Notes” and “Reminders” so I can’t see both at the same time. Is it possible to do that in the new version?

1)  The giant ugly (even uglier in mojave) share button needs to go.  

2) the old icons - reminder etc etc need to come back

3) the option to turn OFF dark mode (entirely) should be there

4) how can i put my reminders and note headers in the same column again... the reminders become useless since they are in a tab now.

I've been using Evernote since 2009.  I've join the forums 9 years later to express how dismayed I am by the direction Evernote development is taking.

Every new point release either breaks or hides something that made Evernote useful to me in the first place.

Two recent examples:

(1) The bright green 'Share' button is both ugly and pointless.  Evernote is not and never will be a useful collaboration tool (except for a few niche industries / use cases).  Meanwhile you've added multiple clicks to EVERY SINGLE NOTE I CREATE by hiding your actually useful features behind ellipses.  

(2) I can't understand the rationale behind separating Notes from Reminders in the UI (new in 7.6).  For me, the biggest USP of Evernote is that notes ARE reminders and reminders ARE notes!  If I need to click a different tab to see my reminders, I might as well click a different app, and if I'm clicking to a different app then, then what is the point of Evernote.  Way to throw away your only remaining competitive advantage! 

The argument that you're simplifying things for new users is - my opinion - the road to the death of Evernote.    Evernote is not - and never has been - a particularly simple tool.  But it's POWERFUL.  Users looking for a simple note-taker, Evernote probably isn't for them: there are many better free alternatives available (Keep, Bear, ...) and Evernote has already lost that audience a long time ago.  But keep removing/hiding the features us paying users rely on, then you lose us too, and are left with nothing. 

I really don't want it to go that way, but I feel like I've seen this movie too many times now.  Please someone start listing to the people who are actually still paying for your product despite the price rises, and stop taking away all the things we like.

On 11/19/2018 at 8:57 PM, Nick L. said:

Hey everyone, 

Just wanted to give you a little more context on the items put into the overflow menu for the sake of transparency with you. 

The design team has moved some of these items into the overflow because in overall user activity, they're not frequently used features, and often can confuse newer users. They also have plans to use this space for other new features planned for the future. To help users who were accustomed to using those icons have a more efficient workflow, we're working on implementing shortcuts for all of the tools in the overflow. These key commands are being tested internally now, and we hope to have them to beta and GA soon.

I'm sorry @Nick L, but I really don't buy this. 

You're really telling me that more people will click that hideous Share button than used to press these (dangerously-confusing-to-new users!) icons:

• Delete Note ("Trash Can icon, I'm so confused, what is that thing?")
  • Add Reminder ("Alarm Clock icon, now we really are taking abstraction to new levels") or
  • Note Info (A lowercase italic letter i - literally an internationally-recognised symbol for information)

Sure, Presentation Mode and Annotate were not intuitive (or particularly useful, to me at least) - why don't you just remove those two?

This is a horrible design decision in a vain attempt to push Evernote to users as a collaboration tool.  The choice to promote this as one of the only two parts of the UI in 'Evernote Green' proves that.  That direction is your choice as a company (and our choice as paying customers to decide to take our business elsewhere), but please don't try to tell us in the community that this is a user- and data-led change.  That just doesn't wash for me.

It's Thanksgiving weekend, so thank you Evernote for being a critical part of my digital life for the last nine years. I hope we will be together for another 9 to come, but every release makes me less confident of that outcome.  Please forgive if this comes across as ranty, it's only because I care.

• Level 5*

Edge case I know...

If you are in dark mode in Mojave:

+ Switch to Reader view in Safari

+ Copy any text

+ Paste into an Evernote note

Looks like the text is pasted in black instead of white. If you select Paste and Match Style it works correctly.

From a user perspective, I'm copying white text (or what looks like white text) and so it should paste as white text (or what looks like white text)

6 hours ago, Metrodon said:

Edge case I know...

If you are in dark mode in Mojave:

+ Switch to Reader view in Safari

+ Copy any text

+ Paste into an Evernote note

Looks like the text is pasted in black instead of white. If you select Paste and Match Style it works correctly.

From a user perspective, I'm copying white text (or what looks like white text) and so it should paste as white text (or what looks like white text)

Thanks! This is fixed in our internal version of Evernote, so it should be out to everyone soon. 

In this new version the notes and reminders are separated into different tabs in the snippet and card views. Previously the reminders were at the top of the notes list in one consolidated view. How do I get back to that view mode? It's a pain to have to click between the tabs.

On 11/19/2018 at 9:57 PM, Nick L. said:

Hey everyone, 

Just wanted to give you a little more context on the items put into the overflow menu for the sake of transparency with you. 

The design team has moved some of these items into the overflow because in overall user activity, they're not frequently used features, and often can confuse newer users. They also have plans to use this space for other new features planned for the future. To help users who were accustomed to using those icons have a more efficient workflow, we're working on implementing shortcuts for all of the tools in the overflow. These key commands are being tested internally now, and we hope to have them to beta and GA soon.

You are kidding us. No one is waiting for a dedicated Share button (in awful green) and I do not want shortcut keys!

Just another commercial descision and an extra mouse-click in our workflows.

On 11/19/2018 at 8:51 PM, JMichaelTX said:

Does Spotlight search work for prior macOS?

This is a must have feature, and I cannot upgrade until this is working properly.

ATTN: @Evernote: (  @Chantal Leonard, @Johnathan Hebert, @Jason Miller , @Nick L.) 

I completely agree with @EdH post.  Given this, and the other bugs/changes, I still can NOT upgrade.  I'm running Evernote 6.11.1 (455059) on macOS 10.12.6, and will continue to do so until you guys can release a good version with no material bugs.

Can there please be an honest response as to why fundamental problems such as these aren't where your development resource and effort is being applied?   Why put this effort into Dark Mode - a feature that's only available in the latest version of macOS - when Spotlight integration has been broken for such a long time?  See also my previous comment about the search highlighting problem.

Can you please please prevent smart quotes from self-inserting in code blocks? I destroys my ability to copy and paste code. Really, the codeblocks are nearly pointless if I can't type a " and have it stay executable.

Is Search and Replace on the way? I'd love that.

And incline code with single hashes like every code-related forum on the internet.

Love the dark theme, nice work with that.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, daeda said:

Can you please please prevent smart quotes from self-inserting in code blocks?

I agree, Evernote should NOT be replacing plain quotes with smart quotes in a Code Block.  In fact, Evernote should paste/type exactly what the user enters in all Code Blocks.

Having said that, @daeda, the problem may be caused by your settings in System Preferences > Keyboard > Text > Use smart quotes and dashes checkbox.  Make sure this is UNCHECKED.

On 11/28/2018 at 3:17 AM, yankcrime said:

Can there please be an honest response as to why fundamental problems such as these aren't where your development resource and effort is being applied?   Why put this effort into Dark Mode - a feature that's only available in the latest version of macOS - when Spotlight integration has been broken for such a long time?  See also my previous comment about the search highlighting problem.

Thanks for your feedback. The issue with the search highlight and Spotlight are currently with engineering and being addressed. Thanks!

On 12/4/2018 at 4:52 PM, JMichaelTX said:

I agree, Evernote should NOT be replacing plain quotes with smart quotes in a Code Block.  In fact, Evernote should paste/type exactly what the user enters in all Code Blocks.

Having said that, @daeda, the problem may be caused by your settings in System Preferences > Keyboard > Text > Use smart quotes and dashes checkbox.  Make sure this is UNCHECKED.

I have no interest in turning off smart quotes system wide. That would be a ridiculous solution. I write text documents too and smart quotes are import. I just want evernote to prevent smart quotes in code blocks, just like every other app and website that has code blocks (sublime, jupyter, latexit, stackoverflow, github, etc., etc.). Both when typing and pasting. Code blocks seem pointless without that.

Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 3.51.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 3.52.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 3.52.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 3.52.54 PM.png

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, CalS said:

The web beta looks different from Mac and Windows.  Though the "confusing" icons are clearly displayed there above the note title and body per the screen capture . 

In Evernote 6.11.1 (455059) on macOS 10.12.6, the so-called "confusing" icons are also clearly displayed.  I have to admit I did not immediately know the icons for "Presentation Mode" and "Annotate", but it was made very clear when I just moused over those icons.  Here's a screenshot:

2018-11-19_19-07-23.png.d56821488de1287e8cdab93cdbba2cff.png

Sorry, @Nick L., but I simply don't understand how this could be confusing.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, s2sailor said:

... and the ugly green share button is still there and reminders is still relegated to the ellipsis menu.   The latest Windows update still has reminders shown on top and share is in the ellipsis menu.  Really wish the Mac team would follow the Windows team on this one.

...and it is configurable.  Boy I hope this bit of UI standardization doesn't make it to Windows.  The web beta looks different from Mac and Windows.  Though the "confusing" icons are clearly displayed there above the note title and body per the screen capture . 

CURRENT

ScreenClip.png.370480577e3e7de41054c3dadbaea3ba.png

Other than the mobile platforms I guess I just don't get what is so hard about setting the template and coding it into each environment, hopefully with customizable toolbars,.  Sure there are some access differences, but layout?  It's as if each platform bootstraps itself every six months.  And yet the editor still fails on mundane tasks.  Mystery to me.  End rant, apologies.

EDIT:  My bad.  The screen cap above was from the Current web version not the Beta, left it in place.  The Beta seems to exhibit the same dumbed down Share and ellipse as reported for the Mac version.  Lack of function for no good cause IMO, coming to a Windows near you I suppose if this trend continues.  Ugh.  More PhraseExpress hotkeys to create.  I wonder how many clicks EN "consistency" has added to my workflow in the last few years betwixt hiding things and changing the PDF viewer.

BETA

ScreenClip.png.d0c536b03fa6ad596b3a81c5a82c3817.png

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Nick L. said:

Hey everyone, 

I don't buy that that a trashcan, reminder clock and "I" icon are confusing, especially when they have a tool tip. If that is confusing to them, than the registration process to set up an account, download the app, and install it would be so far beyond their ability they wouldn't ever see an overflow menu or anything else. Just let them use an etch-a-sketch.

And aren't frequently used in what context? I have 22,000 notes. Do I use the DELETE icon 22,000 times? No, of course not. Do I have 22,000 reminders? No, of course not. But I use it enough that it should be on the regular menu.

Know what I ALMOST NEVER EVER USE? The big fat share icon. Put that on the little menu with a big neon green pulsating light if you want, and put the other stuff back on the tool bar.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, Nick L. said:

The design team has moved some of these items into the overflow because in overall user activity, they're not frequently used features, and often can confuse newer users

If you use good, standard icons, with good tooltips, I don't see how they could be confusing.

IAC, it would seem the obvious solution is to allow the user to customize the toolbar, choosing which items go on the toolbar, and which remain in the overflow menu.

Hey everyone, 

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Nick L. said:

Spotlight search results are not populating for Mojave users

Does Spotlight search work for prior macOS?

This is a must have feature, and I cannot upgrade until this is working properly.

2 hours ago, EdH said:

How many people using this version are really digging the fact that many of the key buttons used on a note, such as reminders, delete, and info (and more) have been moved to the tiny ellipses button and replaced with an insanely large green SHARE button? 

I am struggling to understand why this makes the product better? Is someone at Evernote really going "you know, if we increased the number of 'shares' of notes, we'd get more customers

ATTN: @Evernote: (  @Chantal Leonard, @Johnathan Hebert, @Jason Miller , @Nick L.) 

I completely agree with @EdH post.  Given this, and the other bugs/changes, I still can NOT upgrade.  I'm running Evernote 6.11.1 (455059) on macOS 10.12.6, and will continue to do so until you guys can release a good version with no material bugs.

4 hours ago, Nick L. said:

Hey Folks,

Evernote for Mac 7.6 is here, and we're happy to announce Dark Mode moving forward. More information can be read here.

Improvements and fixes:

• Dark Mode
  • Accessibility fixes
  • Many crash fixes

Known issues: 

• Spotlight search results are not populating for Mojave users

Special thanks to all our Beta testers for helping us catch and squash bugs. Enjoy!

Any news on the spotlight search fix?

Thanks

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, EdH said:

How many people using this version are really digging the fact that many of the key buttons used on a note, such as reminders, delete, and info (and more) have been moved to the tiny ellipses button and replaced with an insanely large green SHARE button? 

Not a priority for me.  For design consistency, I believe the Share icon should also be move, and the Info icon should live on the header bar.

I did post a feature request for a customizable header bar.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

... and the ugly green share button is still there and reminders is still relegated to the ellipsis menu.   The latest Windows update still has reminders shown on top and share is in the ellipsis menu.  Really wish the Mac team would follow the Windows team on this one.

I am struggling to understand why this makes the product better? Is someone at Evernote really going "you know, if we increased the number of 'shares' of notes, we'd get more customers. So let's remove the note toolbar and replace it with a SHARE button. Then users will think they can only share notes, so they will share notes with people that don't have evernote, and they will install evernote. This is pure genius!"

I am flummoxed over this. It makes the product MUCH MORE DIFFICULT TO USE.

Since there is a lot of space though since all of the cool buttons are gone, rather than a desert of gray, some options for Evernote 7.7:

• Current weather, complete with a little emoji to show if it is raining, sunny, snowing, dark, post-apocalyptic nightmare, cloudy, etc.
  • A tiny twitter feed of up to two of the people you like to follow the most.
  • An ad for lower mortgage rates featuring the silhouette of a dancing dog wearing a MAGA hat.
  • Stock ticker
  • A counter showing the number of times you've had to click that ridiculous ellipses menu button to get to the functions you use the most since installing 7.6.

• Level 5*

50 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Not Fixed

This is a bad one, especially as it was acknowledged in an earlier beta as something that has an "open ticket with the engineering team".  It's a showstopper for me, and I'm somewhat amazed it made it through to the release - it's surely a blocker, unless you have questionable priorities.

• Level 5*

Fixed:

• Drag and Drop now works for the note list

Not Fixed

Changed

• Reminder view is retained as the default when switching notebooks
    but get's lost when hitting the first non-reminder notebook.  It has to be re-selected as the default.

Archived