What is the latest version that works properly with pdf files

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, JeuLeuVeu said:

Thanks, this seems to work fine with this link http://cdn1.evernote.com/win6/public/Evernote_6.7.6.7584.exe

I do not understand why the Evernote team made this change. The motivations that drove them to spend money to do worse are a mystery.

Back when the change was made it was reported by EN employees in the forums that it had to do with an infrastructure software update that was done.  Not saying that makes it okay.  I agree the new PDF functionality lacks what the old had.  Shame the infrastructure couldn't get upgraded without reverse versioning the PDF.  It's been a while so I'm kind of used to it, but still look for the drag button from time to time.  🤷‍♂️

11 hours ago, JeuLeuVeu said:

I'm tired of not being able to open pdf in acrobat anymore.

I want to go back to the last version that did it.

What is it ? (Win10)

Hi, maybe I'm misunderstanding.  Seems there was a change to pdf's a while back - IIRC you could just double click on a pdf within a note and it would open it in your default pdf app.  But, the way I open a pdf in Acrobat (or any other pdf app) is to right click on the PDF, then select Open With from the shortcut menu.  Then choose Adobe Acrobat (in my case).  Make sure to save the pdf when making any changes and the updated pdf gets saved back to the pdf in Evernote.

If I'm misunderstanding, sry and let me know what you mean by not working properly with pdf files.

• Level 5*
36 minutes ago, easye said:

If I'm misunderstanding, sry and let me know what you mean by not working properly with pdf files.

I don't think you are misunderstanding.  That's how it works now.  In fact, you don't even have to select Adobe, just right click and select open and if Adobe is your default it will open.  The previous view had a one click open and a drag icon, both of which came in handy.  Also, you could only view a page at a time, but it had it's own scrolling window.  The new version ends up being a scroll within a scroll, not a design standard I would set.  Net of it all, some of us feel the current PDF viewer is feature poor compared to the old.  Concerns were voiced back when it happened.

12 minutes ago, CalS said:

I don't think you are misunderstanding.  That's how it works now.  In fact, you don't even have to select Adobe, just right click and select open and if Adobe is your default it will open.  The previous view had a one click open and a drag icon, both of which came in handy.  Also, you could only view a page at a time, but it had it's own scrolling window.  The new version ends up being a scroll within a scroll, not a design standard I would set.  Net of it all, some of us feel the current PDF viewer is feature poor compared to the old.  Concerns were voiced back when it happened.

Ok, I can understand that.  I do remember a change being made a while back.  I like to keep up with the most current version, so guessing I just figured I had to deal with it for now (and it seems I archived that bit of memory about the way it used to work 🙂 ).  Used to be on the beta channel, but moved back to general release when started keeping critical business information in Evernote. 

On 11/20/2018 at 12:00 AM, CalS said:

just right click and select open and if Adobe is your default it will open

It's true, but... I work with hundreds of pdf's that I consult while working on other programs.

With the old version, it was enough to double-click to open a pdf in adobe: approximately 1/2 second without taking my eyes off my work. In the new version, I have to stop concentrating on my work, look for where the mouse is, scroll down the menu, etc .: about 4 or 5 seconds. It's not much, but it's a lot.

Why not add keyboard shortcuts for ALL possible actions (and the possibility to bind shortcuts to actions as you like)? For more than 50 years, there are programs that allow you to configure everything, even to automate tasks (EMACS, 1976). Are we less intelligent now than 50 years ago?

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, JeuLeuVeu said:

It's true, but... I work with hundreds of pdf's that I consult while working on other programs.

With the old version, it was enough to double-click to open a pdf in adobe: approximately 1/2 second without taking my eyes off my work. In the new version, I have to stop concentrating on my work, look for where the mouse is, scroll down the menu, etc .: about 4 or 5 seconds. It's not much, but it's a lot.

Why not add keyboard shortcuts for ALL possible actions (and the possibility to bind shortcuts to actions as you like)? For more than 50 years, there are programs that allow you to configure everything, even to automate tasks (EMACS, 1976). Are we less intelligent now than 50 years ago?

Hey now, didn't say it was good, just pointing out it is the quickest way with the new PDF viewer. 

Relative to shortcuts, I rolled my own with PhraseExpress.  The below makes sure focus is in EN (@@EVN is an oft used phrase) and then goes through the steps to open the PDF which is showing in the note window.  Ctrl+Alt+P is the key combination.  Less than a second.  FWIW.

{#insert ##EVN}{#mouseposition -x 2900 -y 600}{#RIGHTMOUSEBUTTON}{#sleep 300}{#DOWN -count 6}{#sleep 300}{#ENTER}

Archived