Ragged Text Resolution in Latest Update

Evernote is a real disaster today. The latest update, Version 7.6 (457299 App Store) Editor: 59.0.7031 (d523909), has converted all my text to ragged resolution. And then, when I tried to email Evernote, the online version actually logged me out 6 times each time I tried to log in. This is really affecting my work. Evernote needs to say something about this most recent update, and in addition, what is up with the multiple logouts?

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, GMacdonald said:

Evernote is a real disaster today. The latest update, Version 7.6 (457299 App Store) Editor: 59.0.7031 (d523909), has converted all my text to ragged resolution. And then, when I tried to email Evernote, the online version actually logged me out 6 times each time I tried to log in. This is really affecting my work. Evernote needs to say something about this most recent update, and in addition, what is up with the multiple logouts?

Can you post a screenshot of the "ragged resolution".  I'm not seeing it on my installation.

Not clear on the "online version"  -  the web platform?

To create a support ticket, I use the support site at  https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

Thanks for the reply. Yes, you posted the exact link for getting online help and creating a ticket that will not let me in. Let me explain: when I go to that link, and I am already signed in to my account, Evernote opens up a page that says "you have been logged out." When I try to log in again, it sends me to the same page, "you have been logged out."

I just tried it again from the link you posted. Same result.

Here is the screen shot, meanwhile, of how my text looks after today's update. This is how the text looks in the app, when running the app on a Mac. At the moment, I am of course in the web version to respond to you. Thanks for your help. I have never had this much trouble with Evernote, and have been a user since 2012, if not earlier. 

First, here is how the text looks on one Mac, where I took the latest update

Screen Shot 2018-11-17 at 3.19.58 PM.png

Now let's look at the text on my other Mac, which has not taken the latest evernote update.

Screen Shot 2018-11-17 at 5.52.54 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, GMacdonald said:

First, here is how the text looks on one Mac, where I took the latest update

Screen Shot 2018-11-17 at 3.19.58 PM.png

Here's a sample from my installation, Helvetica Neue font   847199804_ScreenShot2018-11-17at20_54_26.png.eedbcb2370d05690e1184591450f7c4e.png

Amazingly, there is no way to contact Evernote directly to inform them of this problem because 1) they don't provide Help email and 2) where they do place a Send Email button on their Help section, pushing that button automatically logs you out of Evernote web edition.

I know. It sounds too ridiculous to be true. 

Go to this link: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us

And then push this button:

Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 1.30.02 PM.png

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, GMacdonald said:

Amazingly, there is no way to contact Evernote directly to inform them of this problem

Post in the discussion linked below; an Evernote employee has asked for feedback on v7.6

Hello Evernote Community,

I'm writing you because since I updated to the 7.6 version, my text notes (and only them) seems to have an anti-aliasing problem. It seem not activated. The fact is that the whole Evernote interface it looks good, but the text inside a note not. Passing hours on it, it is really frustrating for my eyes. Is there any options somewhere to control this? 

I tried to uninstall, install again, reboot my mac, turn of my mac, zoom more and less, i tried to go directly to the real size option, to modify the size of the window, full screen mode, fonts changing, font size changing too....I really don't know what I can do. It was perfect before the update. Is it possible to reinstall an ancient version?

Attached 2 capture screen. The first one from Evernote and the second one from Apple Notes. Actually is not a big deal looking these 2 images, but when you have/write a long text it's really tiring my eyes.

I hope to find a solution.

Thank you for the support

Kevin

1393719260_Capturedecran2018-11-20a12_20_44.png.1d73c5f1943841cb1b083e3349f0d48f.png

1475509946_Capturedecran2018-11-20a12_22_23.png.ca34b19d1a779a67c0a4219853e20333.png

On 11/17/2018 at 5:18 PM, GMacdonald said:

Hey there. Thanks for reporting this. 
Can you DM Me your activity logs from Evernote for Mac? 

1. Open the Evernote app and sync your account
2. Go to **Help > Activity Log...** from the menu bar
3. Click **Save As** to save the log as a file on your computer
4. Attach the saved log file in reply to this email

Anyone else experiencing the same issue, feel free to DM me your logs as well. Thanks!

That was quick:

XXX, "an Evernote Certified Consultant from Heidelberg/Germany and am part of the Evernote Expertise Network.

Experts are experienced Evernote users who assist the Evernote Support Staff by helping to solve issues that fellow Evernote users experience while using Evernote. I am not affiliated with Evernote and have no access to your account nor your personal data and information.

I am very sorry you are facing this issue, this is actually a known issue that the development team is aware of, and hopefully a fix will be released soon for that.
I do not have an ETA for a fix date, as the development team is not sharing their development roadmap. I know this might not be the answer you hoped for but at least I hope that clarifies the issue.

I am available for any further help needed."

To which my response is:

Thanks for the quick response, and your offer of help but I'll just have to wait until the bug is resolved. I would like to make a suggestion though: Wouldn't it help Evernote's customers/ clients if they announced things like this, quickly and clearly, as soon as it is discovered - I've been chatting with some very nice fellow suffers but it really doesn't make up the time I've had to invest in finding out why, if it was only me, is there a solution... It may be a little embarrassing, but I'm pretty sure their clients would appreciate the transparency

Thanks for all the efforts. As a result of this fiasco, I am cancelling my Evernote account after many years. Or rather, I am going to get out of Premium as there is no way I can use the application in its current state. I will go back to Basic, I think, on the web for a while. 

Just to recap: @EvernoteHelp on Twitter was of no help. There is no way to email Evernote. This is already a time-taker. And the suggestion by Nick to email Evernote logs? I mean, if we have reached that stage, it says something. The biggest surprise to me in all this was to discover there is effectively no support for the app, as a paid monthly subscriber. That was revealing. Best to all.

Finally, as I downgrade back to Basic, just a note: You see that button that says "Having an Issue, Contact Customer Support?" Yup, that goes into a doom-loop, where you will never be able to contact customer support. 

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 8.55.18 AM.png

• Like 1

Well I've been an Evernote user for 8 years, I've really enjoyed using it so far.... But this is terrible, I'm also on Version 7.6 (457299 App Store) on High Serra on a late 2009 27"-iMac font rendering is a jagged disaster.  I suspect the font rendering changes have impacted those with out 4K or UHD displays. 

Evernote.png

• Level 5

Hi All,

Thanks for reaching out.

To clarify, is the text still blurry if they open the notes in separate editor windows?

I ask as I believe this a known issue that we are working to fix, but want to make sure that this is the same one.

• Level 5

Hey All,

I've merged a couple of threads regarding this issue into one to better enable us to track it.

That being said, we've alerted our teams and they are currently further investigating into the root cause of the issue and will work to fix it as quickly as they are able.

I'll follow-up here once we have more information.

Please continue to share your experiences with this issue here for the time being.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Shane D. said:

That being said, we've alerted our teams and they are currently further investigating into the root cause of the issue and will work to fix it as quickly as they are able.

Thanks for taking quick action.  I hope the fix will be forthcoming equally quick.

I just upgraded -- or should I say "downgraded" -- to the next version and am experiencing the same ridiculous problem. How in the WORLD did this pass beta testing? Ironically, my subscription just expired and Evernote has pop-ups begging me to continue shelling out for an app that has just proven it's not worth paying for if this is the kind of garbage that is being approved.

Long-time customer, now basic user.

I found version 7.5.2 on cdn1.evernote.com : dmg, zip.

However, I think it would require me to completely delete all my notes that have been downloaded locally.  I had tried to downgrade and the (older) Evernote app said that my data was being managed with a later version).  Since I wasn't quite ready to do that (and I wasn't sure that I would get all of the folders/directories and files), I upgraded to 7.6 again.

Given the work-around above, i.e. opening a note in a new editor window (i.e. double-clicking on a note or right click --> Open Note in New Window), version 7.6 is fine for now.  If only it would work the same in the main editor window ...

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, RTnotes said:

However, I think it would require me to completely delete all my notes that have been downloaded locally. 

Yes; the database and app usually have to be the same version.

My process is to delete the database folder.  It will be rebuilt from the server when I login (except for Local Notebooks)

Same issue happening here on Evernote 7.6, MacOS 10.13.6.

Text is highly aliased in the preview pane on my external monitor connected to my MacBook Pro. Text looks fine when either opened in a separate editor window, or when viewed (preview or editor window) on the MacBook Pro's internal screen. Screen configuration attached.

Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 11.33.39 AM.png

• 2 weeks later...

Just chiming in as well that this bug has affected me in the same way others describe here. Ragged text in the regular note window, clear if the note is opened in a new separate window. Only applies with my monitor (if I view Evernote directly on my laptop screen the text is fine... doesn't help very much though since I only use the laptop screen occasionally).

For reference some technical info: macOS 10.13.6 on a MacBook Pro (2017), using a Dell U2412M monitor connected via a Thunderbolt to DisplayPort cable. Evernote is installed through the App store.

This has been going on for almost a month now with no fix... what's going on? I've ended up using Evernote a good bit less since this began, as it has become nearly unusable and hard on my eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

Still not fixed. in 7.7. No, evernote, this is not a good support... As a Premium user I'd expect to get this fixed in a few days with a patch to 7.7.1 or so...

I have to open every note in a new window... Not aceptable for a longer time... 😞

*getting angry*

• Like 1

Yeah it's well over a month now since this bug was reported, personally I consider this a critical issue as it interferes with my ability to use Evernote on a daily basis, I find the time taken for this to be fixed pretty shocking.

• Like 2
On 11/17/2018 at 6:52 PM, GMacdonald said:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, you posted the exact link for getting online help and creating a ticket that will not let me in. Let me explain: when I go to that link, and I am already signed in to my account, Evernote opens up a page that says "you have been logged out." When I try to log in again, it sends me to the same page, "you have been logged out."

This has been happening to me for about 2 years, with no fix.  I resort to finding an email of anyone at EN who contacted me and going that route.

On 11/20/2018 at 9:35 AM, michaeljsw said:

I am very sorry you are facing this issue, this is actually a known issue that the development team is aware of, and hopefully a fix will be released soon for that.
I do not have an ETA for a fix date, as the development team is not sharing their development roadmap. I know this might not be the answer you hoped for but at least I hope that clarifies the issue.

FYI, the above is boilerplate.  I've been sent this exact text several times.  Not clear if the expert knows anything.  

My guess that this lower resolution text was an idea by Evernote to provide a preview quality version, which when you find the note you want to work on, you open it and it renders correctly.  Perhaps they thought it would make the storage of notes more efficient.  Just a guess.

Anyway, I have the same issue as everyone else, it isn't good, but at least I can take the strain of my eyes by opening up the note I'm interested in... not ideal, but not really a disaster. A very First World problem really, but it would definitely be nice to see it fixed.

I noticed this bug quite a long time ago, and assumed it would be fixed in the next update.

If the team at Evernote want my honest feedback, it has actually annoyed me a great deal, and has resulted in me using the app less and downgrading from premium.

It's annoying because Evernote is for.. notes, and it's primary function is to display text. So I expect it to render fonts perfectly, like every other app does, free and paid software.

The text in the sidebar is aliased and jagged... It's just not good. Not sure what else to say, and not sure what could be more important to work on.

• Like 1

I've already downgraded from premium due to this and issues with slow performance. That such a simple to fix major bug has remained unfixed for months on end now does not bode well. Sadly I'm currently exploring alternatives to Evernote. If the feature you're working on is "lose lots of customers" then you're succeeding at that. If you'd like to keep your loyal customers though, perhaps stop whatever you're doing and fix this bug today.

• Like 3

This issue also started affecting me ever since the update suited with Mojave came out.

I am pretty sure this ties in with the Mojave update not really supporting non-retina displays.

The current version 7.8 is slightly better than 7.6 (I believe this was the first Mojave related version) but it is still not as crisp as before. This is frankly disappointing since it was working perfectly for me before the update.

I am using macOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra) on a non-retina display.

• Like 1

I'm really not one to do the "I'm canceling my subscription for this bug!" thing, but... this is honestly really embarrassing. Evernote has been my primary brain repository for something like a dozen years but the persistence of a simple, glaring bug like this for multiple versions is making me question my reliance on the tool. My primary mode of usage of Evernote is making notes in-panel and on my desktop monitor – and the appearance of text in that mode is extremely distracting from the work I'm trying to do. This isn't some wacky edge case – this is editing text in the main view of the application. How this is allowed to persist is unfathomable.

• Like 2
On 11/21/2018 at 9:23 AM, Shane D. said:

Hey All,

I've merged a couple of threads regarding this issue into one to better enable us to track it.

I'll follow-up here once we have more information.

Please continue to share your experiences with this issue here for the time being.

Amazing that they never fixed this. Also, I never did find the merge-thread Shane D said he built, to track this issue. It's now February and I see many users like me simply had to quit, or downgrade because of this issue. 

Really disappointed to see this issue lingering on into 2019. I reached out to support around the turn of the year and was told they are diligently working on a fix but with no ETA. Now a month has come and gone and this issue persists. 

I've been a die-hard Evernote user for over 7 years but stuff like this combined with the increasing software bloat is really starting to frustrate me. I have begun evaluating several other note taking apps as a result and while I haven't found a perfect drop in replacement for Evernote, for the first time I'm starting to seriously weigh how important those missing features are. Bear in particular has stood out to me as the most attractive at the moment.

But like others I'm sure, I really would rather stick with what I'm used to. Evernote should be careful to not tip the scales here and lose loyal customers because of apathy. I honestly don't understand why a big company like this can't resolve this more quickly. 

Is anyone else only noticing this issue only on their second display? I usually keep my Evernote App open on my second display and only today moved it over to my main display for some reason and the text is crisp and perfect... no idea why... still fuzzy on my second display but crisp on my main display.

On 2/12/2019 at 12:33 AM, Tarz Mann said:

Is anyone else only noticing this issue only on their second display? I usually keep my Evernote App open on my second display and only today moved it over to my main display for some reason and the text is crisp and perfect... no idea why... still fuzzy on my second display but crisp on my main display.

Yes exactly right. I believe it may be related to older non-retina displays. I'm on the Mac and Evernote looks perfectly fine on my MacBook Pro's retina screen. When I hook it up to my Apple Cinema Display, however, the issue reveals itself. 

My external display may be older but it's a beautiful piece of hardware that I dropped over a g-note on some years ago. I've changed my MacBook multiple times but not my display and I'm sure as heck not about to throw it away because Evernote no longer supports it or because it's not the "latest and greatest". It's far more likely that I will throw Evernote away.  

I also believe that this is a probably a very simple bug to fix because if you open Evernote in a new window on an old display the issue just corrects itself. Just render the text in the main window the exact same way you are doing in the new window!

What that says to me is that the only reason this is not getting fixed is because frankly it's just not a real concern to them. That customers like us make up a very negligible section of their customer base and they don't care if their product does not perform optimally for us. Whether or not that is true, it's certainly the impression they are giving.

• Like 2
On 11/20/2018 at 8:53 AM, GMacdonald said:

Thanks for all the efforts. As a result of this fiasco, I am cancelling my Evernote account after many years. Or rather, I am going to get out of Premium as there is no way I can use the application in its current state. I will go back to Basic, I think, on the web for a while. 

Just to recap: @EvernoteHelp on Twitter was of no help. There is no way to email Evernote. This is already a time-taker. And the suggestion by Nick to email Evernote logs? I mean, if we have reached that stage, it says something. The biggest surprise to me in all this was to discover there is effectively no support for the app, as a paid monthly subscriber. That was revealing. Best to all.

Finally, as I downgrade back to Basic, just a note: You see that button that says "Having an Issue, Contact Customer Support?" Yup, that goes into a doom-loop, where you will never be able to contact customer support. 

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 8.55.18 AM.png

Thank you for reacting this way, hopefully this pushes Evernote to do something as it's been roughly 3 months now and it's the simplest thing possible. As many have stated too, it's so vital. It's the displaying of text in a note taking app.

On 11/23/2018 at 1:54 AM, Futureman said:

I just upgraded -- or should I say "downgraded" -- to the next version and am experiencing the same ridiculous problem. How in the WORLD did this pass beta testing? Ironically, my subscription just expired and Evernote has pop-ups begging me to continue shelling out for an app that has just proven it's not worth paying for if this is the kind of garbage that is being approved.

Long-time customer, now basic user.

hahahaha good one! it is really a downgrade. especially coming from 7.5. I didn't know the beauty I had :')

No idea how this passed their beta testing or of strong power-users like ourselves.

Definitely should not have passed through, and if it did, could've/should've been a quick 7.6.1 update

On 1/24/2019 at 7:24 AM, ymatto said:

I'm really not one to do the "I'm canceling my subscription for this bug!" thing, but... this is honestly really embarrassing. Evernote has been my primary brain repository for something like a dozen years but the persistence of a simple, glaring bug like this for multiple versions is making me question my reliance on the tool. My primary mode of usage of Evernote is making notes in-panel and on my desktop monitor – and the appearance of text in that mode is extremely distracting from the work I'm trying to do. This isn't some wacky edge case – this is editing text in the main view of the application. How this is allowed to persist is unfathomable.

Definitely need to question our reliance. What if one day the servers just go boom and nothing exists anymore? Hypothetical only but still - like you said, it's our primary brain repository. Me I write music, so if it were all to disappear....I'd just be toast.

Right now, I can get the text to look smooth again by opening the note in a new window. Only then does my text not look ragged.

I'm having this issue on a 2011 MacBook Pro running MacOS High Sierra on both my laptop screen and external display.

Hope this helps someone and Evernote pushes an update here soon.

On 2/14/2019 at 1:25 AM, cammonro said:

I also believe that this is a probably a very simple bug to fix because if you open Evernote in a new window on an old display the issue just corrects itself. Just render the text in the main window the exact same way you are doing in the new window!

Yes, exactly!

On 2/11/2019 at 11:33 PM, Tarz Mann said:

Right, this is exactly the problem. Main view window, when displayed on a secondary monitor. Open the note into its on window – no problem. Put Evernote on the primary display – no problem. However extremely irritating since many of us do most of our work on a large second monitor, in the main Evernote view. This is really driving me crazy.

On 2/18/2019 at 2:10 AM, TripleYoThreat said:

Definitely need to question our reliance. What if one day the servers just go boom and nothing exists anymore? Hypothetical only but still - like you said, it's our primary brain repository. Me I write music, so if it were all to disappear....I'd just be toast.

Well, one of the things I do like about Evernote is that both the native MacOS and iOS apps do locally store all content so there's recourse if the cloud goes away. It's not just a pure cloud-access service, which I would absolutely refuse to use.

Still, user experience should be the bread and butter of an application like Evernote.

After two months I followed up with support again and got literally the exact same response. I pressed further and was told that the issue is more complex than anticipated. I find it hard to grasp that a company whose bread and butter is a note taking application cannot figure out a way to make their app render note text properly. Why do none of my other apps for the Mac have this problem? 

So I really don't believe that response but whatever.  Not a lot I can do about it other than take my business elsewhere. Supposedly the fix will not make it in the next two release cycles so I'm expecting at least two months more of this annoyance. I've already started replacing Evernote in my workflow for certain things as a result. If this problem doesn't get fixed before my subscription expires in May I will not be renewing my premium membership.

I find the situation pretty pathetic. It really feels like Evernote's QA is getting worse and worse and I'm losing my love of the app after years of daily use. 

• 2 weeks later...

This issue is probably because the text is not being rendered smoothly. Smooth rendering is required when high res images are shown on low res screens. Text is generally very high res. That's why it is only appearing fine in retina display. Still, it's not smooth even on a retina display and retina display users can tell the diff in main right side screen against text in the new window using a magnifying glass. The note text in a new window or in web browser looks great because it's gone through smooth rendering. Problem is just on the right side display inside the mac app.

I can see from the earlier messages on this thread that this bug is since 7.6 and now it's 7.8. This problem should not take much time to solve. Given that they already figured out to show smoothened text in a new window, they could use the same rendering methods in the main display too. It is clear that they are not aware of this solution. Because if they were they would have solved it.

On 11/20/2018 at 10:23 PM, GMacdonald said:

This is a very bad thing about Evernote. No way to communicate directly with developers.

On 2/12/2019 at 2:44 AM, cammonro said:

Bear in particular has stood out to me as the most attractive at the moment.

Thanks! This is a great app! Bbye Evernote.

On 12/11/2018 at 11:33 AM, Nick L. said:

Hey folks just want to let you know that our Mac devs are aware of this bug right now and working on a resolution. Thanks!

So... sadly no resolution yet, 3 months after the problem was initially reported... will there be EVER a fix for this or we need new hardware ?! (because 7.9 is fine on my newer Mac!)

How many of you have you already left and how many stayed ?!

On 3/10/2019 at 8:07 PM, BV76BiG said:

So... sadly no resolution yet, 3 months after the problem was initially reported... will there be EVER a fix for this or we need new hardware ?! (because 7.9 is fine on my newer Mac!)

How many of you have you already left and how many stayed ?!

1 minute ago, devnulldude said:

having the same issue the past few months... on version 7.8. Evernote is really unusable with the crappy text rendering. Looks like they've given up on this issue and their customers. 

Downgrade to 7.5. that's the best bet. Requires you to move / delete the database and rebuild it through 7.5 however. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2019 at 2:45 PM, TripleYoThreat said:

Downgrade to 7.5. that's the best bet. Requires you to move / delete the database and rebuild it through 7.5 however. 

Just downgraded myself guys. It's not a difficult process and I'm not missing anything from the new updates. I can see how someone might though, doubtful however, because they barely got accustomed to the new version when they noticed this issue. SO, I am back on 7.5.2, text looks crisp again and all is well :) I'm surprised I did it of all people because I got quite used to the ragged text surprisingly. It wasn't too bad of an eyesore. But boy I'm glad I do it because it is surprisingly sharper. Best of luck! Procedure again is to backup ~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.evernote as well as the application from your applications folder, then delete both and download+install the 7.5.2 Evernote DMG. Magic!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is still an issue is 7.9.1 running on High Sierra.

From my testing, the problem is with the sidebar. Hide the sidebar and the text becomes nice and smooth. This is likely why opening a note in a new window also displays the contained text as smooth.

• Thanks 1

Bummer! I was hopping  that they will have a fix with this version, but I'm afraid that this issue is not under their radar  ! I've downgraded to 7.5.6 I believe that that was the last version working good on low res screens of the MacBook Air and using latest ver on the MacBook Pro. 

And you're right, notes are sharp if opened and not in the preview mode (with the sidebar). Thanks for posting this update on the issue! 

Welp here we are in May 2019 and they still haven't fixed this issue. Pathetic. For the first time in 7 years I decided to not renew my Premium membership. It is apparent that Evernote doesn't really care about their customers. 

• Like 1

I just upgraded to Evernote 7.10 from some older version (did not make a note of it), and I am experience the "ragged text" look in all Notes and all fonts for the first time. Mac OS High Sierra.

Of the posts here, this describes the issue well: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/117526-ragged-text-resolution-in-latest-update/?do=findComment&comment=531103. It does seem Retina (my laptop) vs. non-retina (my larger monitor) related, and I agree it seems like this would be a simple fix.

• 2 weeks later...

This just started happening to me. I upgraded to 7.10 a couple of weeks ago. Running MacOS High Sierra. 

The problem started right after I opened a second window and viewed Notebooks in both windows so I could move some notebooks from one folder to another. After closing the second window and switching back to my default view I noticed the jagged text. Tried switching fonts, font sizes, no luck. Tried quitting and restarting Evernote.  

Characteristics:

• text looks fine when viewing on my MacBook Pro retina screen but is jagged on my larger 2560x1080 monitor
  • text in the sidebar (black background) looks fine but both the list of notes and individual notes look awful
  • opening a note in a new window looks fine

I appreciate everyone's posts and am quite disturbed that this problem was reported 6 months ago and is still not fixed. 

Note: I just removed Evernote. I couldn't find a copy of 7.5.2 anywhere so I downloaded a fresh copy of the latest version and installed it. I figured that since it had been working, I could go back to before it broke. No luck. Still broken. :(

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, mcdonna said:

Characteristics:

• text looks fine when viewing on my MacBook Pro retina screen but is jagged on my larger 2560x1080 monitor
  • text in the sidebar (black background) looks fine but both the list of notes and individual notes look awful

I am NOT seeing any of this.  Running Evernote 7.10 (457750) on macOS 10.14.5 (Mojave).

Everything looks fine on both my 2019 iMac-27 Retina screen, and my ASUS-27 monitor, both with resolutions of 2560 x 1440 (default for display).

Example Screenshot from my ASUS-27

(I have to say the actual screen looks better than the screenshot. Click on image for best view.)

image.thumb.png.f1ce547cc431b3535275e5f10edcbe6b.png

12 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I am NOT seeing any of this.  Running Evernote 7.10 (457750) on macOS 10.14.5 (Mojave).

Everything looks fine on both my 2019 iMac-27 Retina screen, and my ASUS-27 monitor, both with resolutions of 2560 x 1440 (default for display).

(I have to say the actual screen looks better than the screenshot. Click on image for best view.)

Apparently this issue doesn't affect your monitor. I'm using a 27" Apple Cinema Display and the issue is quite apparent. Buying a new monitor is not an option.

This has also already been acknowledge by Evernote's engineers as a real issue. 

On 5/1/2019 at 1:44 PM, Hudson said:

This is still an issue is 7.9.1 running on High Sierra.

From my testing, the problem is with the sidebar. Hide the sidebar and the text becomes nice and smooth. This is likely why opening a note in a new window also displays the contained text as smooth.

This is a good tip. If only Evernote could apply the same rendering logic they are already using elsewhere in their own code. 

On 6/2/2019 at 12:49 AM, mcdonna said:

This just started happening to me. I upgraded to 7.10 a couple of weeks ago. Running MacOS High Sierra. 

The problem started right after I opened a second window and viewed Notebooks in both windows so I could move some notebooks from one folder to another. After closing the second window and switching back to my default view I noticed the jagged text. Tried switching fonts, font sizes, no luck. Tried quitting and restarting Evernote.  

Characteristics:

I appreciate everyone's posts and am quite disturbed that this problem was reported 6 months ago and is still not fixed. 

Note: I just removed Evernote. I couldn't find a copy of 7.5.2 anywhere so I downloaded a fresh copy of the latest version and installed it. I figured that since it had been working, I could go back to before it broke. No luck. Still broken. :(

It really is quite astonishing. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Consider yourself lucky! As I just posted yesterday, my display was just fine ... until suddenly it wasn't. 

I'm using an LG 2560x1080 "ultra-wide" monitor but I doubt that the monitor brand is relevant. 

• Level 5*
On 6/3/2019 at 7:56 AM, cammonro said:

Apparently this issue doesn't affect your monitor.

On 6/3/2019 at 3:54 PM, mcdonna said:

Consider yourself lucky! As I just posted yesterday, my display was just fine ... until suddenly it wasn't. 

I offered my feedback with the hope that my information/situation when the text is properly presented will help Evernote solve the problem, for those that have it.

• Like 1
On 6/4/2019 at 4:38 PM, JMichaelTX said:

I offered my feedback with the hope that my information/situation when the text is properly presented will help Evernote solve the problem, for those that have it.

Appreciate that! 

• 1 month later...

I see a couple of posters here missed a crucial fact: this affects users running High Sierra.

It's nothing short of amazing Evernote never fixed this, and never reached out to decade long users like myself, nor made any effort to win me back as a paying user.

Still no fix for this? I've started just reflexively opening notes in a new window to avoid the obnoxious jaggies when working, which is kind of ridiculous. Really the only reason I haven't switched to something else is waiting for a break in my work demands so I have the breathing room to switch. (And also I'll miss geotagging support, but I'll give that up to not have to deal with problems like this one.)

FYI I gave up waiting for this, canceled my subscription and moved everything to Bear App. Their next version will have local encryption and so far has been a better experience getting to use markdown. Evernote continues to disappoint and I was a big fanboy for a while. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...