Evernote 7.6 - option to view Reminders tab automatically

adkisson

Idea

I can understand why Evernote split the Notes and Reminder views into two tabs. However I have a ToDo notebook that consists of 100% reminders. The Reminders view is always what I select in that notebook without exception. I also have a few tags that are always reminders without exception. Can you add an option to default it to Reminders tab? Even if it's a hidden view preference or option so it doesn't bother other users.

• Like 2

12 replies to this idea

It might be a feature request, and it's kind of saying "Hey Evernote! Your newest feature just made my workflow harder. Help!"

The issue is this: the latest Evernote defaults to showing the notes tab every time (see screenshots). But I have an actions/todo notebook I ALWAYS want to show reminders for. This means I must click twice to show reminders (1. go to notebook; 2. go to reminders tab).

Sure it's an extra click, and it won't kill me. And I understand why Evernote re-organized it, and honestly it looks better. But is there anyone else struggling with the extra click step introduced by the latest update?

screenshot-notes-tab.png

screenshot-reminders-tab.png

• Like 1

I echo the sentiments expressed here -- I also preferred having Reminders visible on startup.  I use reminders to keep "priority" notes at the top of the stack, ordered by date due.  Now they are not visible at all, unless I go seek them out.  I note that Reminders are still at the top of the note stack in the PC and web versions.  I would prefer that Reminders go back to where they were in the previous Mac version; or at least make it a preference option.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

I moved this discussion to the feedback/feature-request forum.

Since we're using Macs my solution is to use a script to filter the notes and select preferences.

This is what I use to select views, assign search and sequence preference780256537_ScreenShot2018-11-17at14_18_27.png.5b603fbc6890a3a041f0296019bbb54f.png

tell application "Evernote"
     set query string of window 1 to searchQuery
     activate

tell application "System Events" to keystroke "|" using {command down, shift down}
     tell application "System Events" to keystroke "t" using {control down

tell application "System Events" to keystroke "a" using {control down}
end tell

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, adkisson said:

"Hey Evernote! Your newest feature just made my workflow harder. Help!"

If I recall correctly, the process for the previous version was: 2059952732_ScreenShot2018-11-18at22_28_24.png.d53c60f710b2efbb07efe07dc1dfa3e9.png
1.select notebook;
2. select reminders view icon

I'm not clear on how the new process is harder1960414787_ScreenShot2018-11-18at22_37_39.png.ba0c3cd7395652414c859f50d5664dc5.png

edit: the previous version remembered the reminder view selection
v7.6 forgets the view setting after switching to a non-reminder notebook

The key was Evernote remembered whether reminders were visible or not from the last time you were in a notebook. It seems in Evernote 6 they saved that as a preference somewhere in the app. My workflow has been single click for a long time. The Android/Web clients are still single-click (they remember if reminders were open). I just checked both, they still follow the Evernote 6 model of remembering whether the user had made reminders visible.

If you don't believe me, I can find an old Evernote 6 for Mac installer and create a movie to demonstrate. Or you can try the Android/Web client yourself.

Hi. I have been having the same issue.  

I recently noticed, when you're in the reminders view, if you click “filter by tags” to change to a different tag, it will remember that you're in the reminders view.  

uVnW0t3v3SBMd2ZD04dcuNgZ4r563xr97TCqVyRTaQw2q3bkgTwVK-ptrADRMmX_vahlKKMUte7dpu2qVT8FklMdIA5t-GD0cSvrCpdkbDgrUKMJWoLJq6lzKEl8cCYRpizUHGNL

Also, if you use “Command + J” (on Mac) to navigate from note, notebook, or tags, it will remember that you're in the reminders view.

_9T8Bjvxwc4OqQhizOtLZagi6v2yOnS5dc8jYSJ1XlOChr4qnaiIodWJm1qmC9Fk3d4W4aWy6_CeMOl7ADPPct7sX1J59MqgUnYzyOgLqCwJKcb-rNEmRgC8h3veE4O20pUCyT5K

Before I figured this out, I would usually use the shortcuts panel for navigating. 

Hope this helps.  

On 2/6/2019 at 2:31 PM, bmcoley said:

Hi. I have been having the same issue.  

I recently noticed, when you're in the reminders view, if you click “filter by tags” to change to a different tag, it will remember that you're in the reminders view.  

uVnW0t3v3SBMd2ZD04dcuNgZ4r563xr97TCqVyRTaQw2q3bkgTwVK-ptrADRMmX_vahlKKMUte7dpu2qVT8FklMdIA5t-GD0cSvrCpdkbDgrUKMJWoLJq6lzKEl8cCYRpizUHGNL

Also, if you use “Command + J” (on Mac) to navigate from note, notebook, or tags, it will remember that you're in the reminders view.

_9T8Bjvxwc4OqQhizOtLZagi6v2yOnS5dc8jYSJ1XlOChr4qnaiIodWJm1qmC9Fk3d4W4aWy6_CeMOl7ADPPct7sX1J59MqgUnYzyOgLqCwJKcb-rNEmRgC8h3veE4O20pUCyT5K

Before I figured this out, I would usually use the shortcuts panel for navigating. 

Hope this helps.  

I tested this  by 

1. Navigating to All Notes -> Reminders in the Mac app
  2. Then I pressed cmd + J  and selected "inbox"  
  3. Then I switched back to "All Notes" expecting it to open reminders tab
  4. It opened the Notes Tab :(

Everyone is going to have their own preference on how to display reminders, but I think most would agree it they are important enough to always have at least a link to them visible in the user interface for one-click access. 

This could be done 

In the sidebar 

In the top menu bar 

or ( not my recommendation ) have a dedicated "reminders" panel / pane . if you have user the Chrome developer tools, the Reminder pane would be one of those panes. 

Since Evernote moved reminders to another tab I've stopped using them.

Having them in a separate environment and not in context to your actual notes is a waste of UI real estate and a step backwards. Several steps in fact.

Now when you create a reminder, the 'reminder notes' appear in a separate area, away from your actual notes, so now you have 2 views:

Notebooks  ->  Notes  ->  Your note  ->  Non reminder notes tab  ->  Note content...
or
Notebooks  ->  Notes  ->  Your note  ->  Reminder notes tab  ->  Note content...

When you used to have 1 view.

Notebooks  ->  Notes  ->  Your note  ->  Note content... with reminders being part of the content.

Why take a step backwards when the step forwards would have been multiple reminder for individual notes (a long requested feature)

Seems that you are deprecating reminders as a central feature - so I've just stopped using them.

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, ColD said:

multiple reminder for individual notes (a long requested feature)

There is a request posted for multiple reminders here
You're welcome to indicate your support using the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

This request relates to the Reminders Tab, and has 979923851_ScreenShot2019-12-23at7_37_46AM.png.674def91d9b77943715a80d3c73f7257.png votes.  Not much user support

>>so I've just stopped using them

Reminders are an important element of my workflow
I've never used the reminder section, tab or top of note list

I was having this same problem (and posted about it here).  Just discovered others are having the same frustration - I feel validation of my daily struggle!

Sounds like from DTLow's earlier post this is a regression introduced in v7.6 of Evernote for Mac.  Hoping bumping this up may get this fixed in an upcoming version!