cant see how to open attachment

StuBrown

Hi Guys- i dragged my customer excel sheet which has all my names and numbers on it- i was going to then add links the a sheet of to dos for each client.

( I assume that the excel sheet is the best way to organise this )?

however when i open the note i cant see how to open the attachment - but it is there?? see 213kb at the bottom-i can save attachments to -just cant see how to open it in evernote.

image.png.84ed7cead5d9bbfec3a8bc85a335f351.png

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, StuBrown said:

when i open the note i cant see how to open the attachment

376082247_ScreenShot2018-11-13at09_13_24.png.9fe3a61190a2be1305b797952347cef6.pngOn my Mac, I attach a spreadsheet by dragging into the note; right click on the spreadsheet to open it

>> I assume that the excel sheet is the best way to organise this 

What are the benefits of storing the contact information in a spreadsheet?

I would use a separate note for each contact
I would store to-dos as a separate note for each action.

Using the search feature, it's easily to assemble note lists
- contact information
- to-dos for a contact
The list can be transferred to a note or spreadsheet when required

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, StuBrown said:

but it is there??

From the screen clip the attachment does not appear to be in the note.

You can use a spreadsheet for the info, a couple of clicks to get there.  If you want your contacts consolidated in a note you can also create a table to store them.  Only really feasible if you don't have too much info you want to store.  Then one click to access if you add the note to your shortcuts bar.

Other alternative is as per @DTLow,

1. create a note per contact adding a contact tag,
  2. add a note per to do, tag the to do notes with the contact tag and some form of task identification (either a tag or use the reminder functionality),
  3. and use searches and saved searches to get the list of to dos.
7 hours ago, CalS said:

From the screen clip the attachment does not appear to be in the note.

It's weird it doesn't appear to be exposed in the body as the typical icon, but the status bar implies it is there.  'Other: 1' is how my notes with xlsx  appear in status.  Also, the size seems large for an empty note. More global files  show up like 'PDF: 1'.  So maybe corrupted note?  One other thing I'll add is it requires an xlsx friendly app, so I personally avoid MS type attachments except for indexing of work records where the app is supplied by employer.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Gear64 said:

It's weird it doesn't appear to be exposed in the body as the typical icon, but the status bar implies it is there.  'Other: 1' is how my notes with xlsx  appear in status.  Also, the size seems large for an empty note. More global files  show up like 'PDF: 1'.  So maybe corrupted note?  One other thing I'll add is it requires an xlsx friendly app, so I personally avoid MS type attachments except for indexing of work records where the app is supplied by employer.

I have had instances in the past where I was pretty sure there was an attachment in a note but it wasn’t visible, or there was a useless icon.  The fix was to right click in the note and select Save attachment.  If there was an attachment I could then add it aback into the note.  Weird, but it hasn’t happened in a while.   

cheers everyone thanks for your advice.

in fact the only solution was to save as the attachemnt and re-attach it which worked and its visible now.

Just to further the dialogue about contacts - my main function of the contacts sheet is i regsiter a last contacted and next contact date-which is a trigger for the earliest date to call them -or when i have seen them. in excel its easy to manage I just sort the list by the earliest date and start ringing?

is this easier in evernote?

Contact details 

i record

name

title

mobile

direct

email

comp address

in excel its easy-in evernote is this a table or some other record

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, StuBrown said:

More a function of how you like to work.

1. You can keep an Excel spreadsheet attached to a note (or linked from the note) and open it and do your business whenever.
  2. You can add a note per contact and using reminders and/or tags reference the appropriate contacts based upon searches.

I would tend to have a note per contact containging the demographic informatioln and a table for interactions (date, notes, follow ups, whatever in the table).  Contact name would be a tag.  I might split this into two notes, demographics and interactions, could be easier to manage as time goes on.  Then I would add a reminder date to the interactions note for next contact.  Search contact or interaction notes and sort by reminder would provide the call list.  And the note would provide context for previous interactions.  And there are derivativeds of this process, for example a note per interaction.

But that is me.  Has to be something that you feel comfortable doing.  Easy enough to try a few things in EN and adjust as you go.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, StuBrown said:

my main function of the contacts sheet is i regsiter a last contacted and next contact date-which is a trigger for the earliest date to call them -or when i have seen them. in excel its easy to manage I just sort the list by the earliest date and start ringing?

For sure, it's a good  idea to store the spreadsheet in Evernote.  It gets backed up, and can be easily accessed.

If you used the separate notes concept, Evernote has a Reminders feature.
- it can store the two dates
A saved search would provide you a call list to work from

>>Contact details; name, title, mobile, direc, email,, comp address 
     in excel its easy-in evernote is this a table or some other record

As separate notes, this would be free form.  
You could use a template to start the note, but then add additional information as required

• Level 5*

Saving the search is the easy part, creating it requires the work.  😉

A resource as to search options is here.  Try not to get too overwhelmed.  For what you have been discussing in this thread most searches will be comprised of text, tags, and the reminder fields. 

For example, a search for open to do's for a given client would be tag:clientname remindertime:* -reminderdonetime:* (all notes tagged with client name with a reminder time that is not marked as done).  This assumes you date all of your reminders which is reasonable based on your use case.  If using Windows you can sort by remindertime if you like and save the view so each time you execute the search it looks like you want. 

Another example is for today's tasks, remindertime:day -remindertime:day+1 -reminderdonetime:* (notes with dated reminders from today on minus notes with dated reminders from tomorrow on minus notes with reminders marked as done).  Good luck!

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, StuBrown said:

Thanks guys I think i would prefer evernote to a spreadsheet.

any pointers to a saved search lesson?

You're welcome; just repaying for all the stuff I learned from the forums.  We all started at the same point.

After you create a search that meets your requirements, and saved it; create a shortcut 
This gives you a one click option to produce different types of lists
It makes Evernote a multi-purpose tool.  

Archived