(Archived) monthly usage reset

Hello everyone,

I'm a junior evernote user but it has already proven itself quite useful.

After using the free version for a few days I quickly upgraded to premium.

However I can't help myself but to find the monthly usage limit quite low for myself.

There are currently 10 days left in my cycle and there is still 100mb available but I have been quite selective in my uploads so far.

I would like a possibility to pay the monthly fee again and have my monthly usage reset with or without affecting the days left in my cycle.

Or maybe an even bigger plan so I can upload 1-2gb every month?

Hope some others feel like this to

• Level 5
fromalk said:

I have been quite selective in my uploads so far.

I would like a possibility to pay the monthly fee again and have my monthly usage reset with or without affecting the days left in my cycle.

Or maybe an even bigger plan so I can upload 1-2gb every month?

For client based Evernote:

If you want to really crank up your uploads but have concern about hitting the max, then try putting them into a non-sync'd notebook.

Notes in non-sync'd notebooks do not go to Evernote servers and do not affect your monthly limit.

As you get closer to the end of the month, start moving some of the notes to the notebooks you want them in.

This allows you to maximize the monthly uploads right to the very limit.

well I have considered that option but I need the notes to be in sync

I've got the following notebooks:

- school (very large one this month but not the following months), needs to be synced so I have all my documents with me in the library, ...

- webdevelopment (pretty large, mostly contracts and documentation), needs to be synced for when I visit clients

the other notebooks are all small in size and I've put off uploading to them until I'm no longer using the school notebook.

• Level 5

A 2nd monthly payment to reset the limit or a larger payment won't help.

It's not in the cards for the near term.

Your best solution is to continue prioritizing and get as many important notes into Evernote to hit the limit this month.

Then do it again next month.

Well I'll try it out for another month but I've got the feeling I'm just putting things off...

The whole idea is to store our notes, ideas, thoughts, papers, ...

While this month I might consume a lot of space for school and less for webdesign I have already put of syncing of notebooks such as financial, personal, ideas, job 1, job 2. Even though I will probably be able to sync my school notes this month and consume 10% of the limit for school next month. There are still a lot of other notes that aren't where they should be...

Financial notes for example, yesterday I wanted to tell a friend how much I payed for my last car service, unfortunately the note wasn't synced to evernote yet... It will probably be synced by September 21th but that goes against the whole idea behind evernote...

Financial notes for example, yesterday I wanted to tell a friend how much I payed for my last car service, unfortunately the note wasn't synced to evernote yet... It will probably be synced by September 21th but that goes against the whole idea behind evernote...

Admittedly, it may be good if EN could have a tiered system. But that's also a lot of work on their end. Probably not worth yanking people from other projects they are working on, at least at this time. In the mean time, it's a matter of prioritizing, on the user's end. Of course, being able to tell your friend how much you paid for your last car service, while nifty, is probably not as important as being able to access certain notes when you are at work or in school. So maybe for a month or two, you do what you did before you had EN & say, "I think it was $XX dollars but I'll check when I get home & call/email you." There may also be different methods of getting the info into EN that may use less space, if you're truly in need of that. IE, the new iPhones have a higher res camera, so it's my understanding they can chew up a bunch of space quickly. But if the images are cropped or saved to a lower res, they will be smaller files. Personally, I've got over 24,000 notes & my database size is just under 3 gigs. And I've never exceeded the 500 mb limit.

• Level 5

500MB / month is a lot of storage.

I'm curious.

1.) What type of school work do you want to store that take up so much space? I have 6,600 notes in Evernote and I've never even come close to the monthly limit.

2.) And how did you access your school work information before Evernote? Can't you continue with that system until all the data is uploaded?

Thanks for the information, and I will indeed combine what I was doing before with EN for now.

While the example might not have been a strong one I was just trying to make I point.

I hope this is something EN will indeed work on.

Meanwhile I'm indeed trying to lower resolutions etc.

My only fear is that I will inevitably build up a queue. I personally think the problem is caused because I'm new to the service and it fits me perfectly. While my previous methods of archiving have worked decently in the passed they are being synced all at once to EN causing me to run out of available bandwidth.

That's the reason I'm asking for a way to reset my counter. Then I can upload everything at once and from then on I'll only need to sync new notes and not archive webdevelopment contracts from 5 years ago anymore for example.

I personally think the problem is caused because I'm new to the service and it fits me perfectly. While my previous methods of archiving have worked decently in the passed they are being synced all at once to EN causing me to run out of available bandwidth.

That's the reason I'm asking for a way to reset my counter. Then I can upload everything at once and from then on I'll only need to sync new notes and not archive webdevelopment contracts from 5 years ago anymore for example.

At the risk of sounding like your mother, IME, it's often good to taper on. Can't tell you how many times I thought something was perfect & jumped right in (that's my personality) only to find later that it's not as perfect as it initially appears to be. I've made it a point to not pay for trial versions of software until the last day or two of the trial. More than once, I fell in love with an app & was ready to pay for it well before the trial version ended only to find a few days later that it didn't really accommodate ___ the way I wanted it to. But if I still love the software a day or two before the trial ends, I'll go ahead & pay for it.

Don't get me wrong. I love EN & have it on two computers, a netbook & iPhone. And it's running 24/7 on my big dog computer. But sometimes, it's just good to ease into something. Sometimes, that's a message from the universe. ;-)

I think it's good to combine your previous methods with Evernote & prioritize what you really need in the EN cloud & go from there.

[/parental advice]

500MB / month is a lot of storage.

I'm curious.

1.) What type of school work do you want to store that take up so much space? I have 6,600 notes in Evernote and I've never even come close to the monthly limit.

2.) And how did you access your school work information before Evernote? Can't you continue with that system until all the data is uploaded?

well my school work that is being stored is currently:

- 166MB worth of documents for my thesis, word documents, pdf's, 20MB worth of images and a few powerpoint presentations from vm ware, oracle and microsoft

- 234MB scanned pages, schemes from my ccna courses (500 a4 pages handwritten +-)

- +-600MB of files with code: SQL, PHP, c#, .net, java etc

- +-2GB worth of projectfiles for next year

That's just for half of my courses and I'm not syncing everything to EN eventhough I would like to. It's a lot but my school is 100% digital, only paper we use is for exams so...

My school work was synced before EN, I didn't intend to use EN for it either but after I found out how great it was I couldn't not use it.

A few months ago I would store files on my desktop, take them with me on my laptop then mail them to my mail account or upload them to my server as soon as my battery was dying and then use a friends computer or one in the library for example. When I was done at my friends place I mailed them back to my laptop or uploaded to my server again (therefor I had to install software (ftp) every time) and then when I got back home sync back to my computer.

My financial stuff and information about invoices was never archived digital so trough a day I would get 5-10 questions about it which I would write down and text/mail those people when I got home with the responses.

The web development contracts and login information etc would be printed out and stored in my file cabin, so when I would have a meeting with company x I would then bring folder x in my backpack with me. Write down stuff on the papers in the folder and put them in the file cabin again.

Since I'm planning on moving to a smaller place (I'm rarely home) there won't be enough place for all my notes, file cabins etc and that's why I started to use evernote...

At the risk of sounding like your mother, IME, it's often good to taper on. Can't tell you how many times I thought something was perfect & jumped right in (that's my personality) only to find later that it's not as perfect as it initially appears to be. I've made it a point to not pay for trial versions of software until the last day or two of the trial. More than once, I fell in love with an app & was ready to pay for it well before the trial version ended only to find a few days later that it didn't really accommodate ___ the way I wanted it to. But if I still love the software a day or two before the trial ends, I'll go ahead & pay for it.

Don't get me wrong. I love EN & have it on two computers, a netbook & iPhone. And it's running 24/7 on my big dog computer. But sometimes, it's just good to ease into something. Sometimes, that's a message from the universe. ;-)

I think it's good to combine your previous methods with Evernote & prioritize what you really need in the EN cloud & go from there.

You are 100% right, and thats the way I'm going to do it.

The only thing I hope is that EN will conclude that maybe? a group of people is interested in paying more for bigger accounts

I'm not sure that EN is the only thing you should be using. You say you put your thesis in EN and I just cringe at that. Sure, it's awfully convenient to be able to 'tuck' a file into EN (e.g., a batch or script that I've just written and want to keep track of), but most larger documents are safer outside of EN. For instance, it's extremely easy to delete a file in an EN note and there's no undo for that.

I would recommend using something like dropbox (or box.net, or windows live skydrive, whatever it's called now) for free storage space. EN is great for capturing notes and miscellaneous stuff, but I would never use it to store large quantities of (important) files.

You mention storing your financial info in Evernote. I don't know specifically what you're talking about, but I don't store bank statements, investment statements, credit card statements in Evernote. The data stored on the EN servers is not encrypted, unless you specifically encrypt a portion of the text. So if someone were to hack them, it's there for their use. (Small chance of it happening...but it could. Search the board on the word 'security' if you're wanting more info on this subject.) So I store all my financial records on Amazon S3 servers via Jungle Disk. (I think there are other UIs now but I started with JD several years ago.) Anyway, that may be a way to be able to reserve your EN space for things that are work & school related that are not problematic in the hands of a hacker.

For instance, it's extremely easy to delete a file in an EN note and there's no undo for that.
EN is great for capturing notes and miscellaneous stuff, but I would never use it to store large quantities of (important) files.

I have no problem using EN for storing a lot of large and/or important files. If you have good, regular backups, there should be no problem, IMO & IME. But as stated in my previous post, I don't use EN for sensitive information for the reasons stated.

• Level 5

Fromalk, thanks for the super explanation of your data.

As you can see it opens up a whole new set of ideas and comments.

Best of luck with your plans

Archived