Word cloud as Tag suggestions

ruiguerreiro

Idea

Hi everyone,

I'm really surprised no one suggested this yet, as I think it would work great as a rough Tag suggestion pool. The idea would be to have Evernote scan each note and generate a Word Cloud (by number of times a word appears in the text, pdf, etc.), from where we would be able to pick words to add as Tags for said note. I have been testing this using a third-party word cloud generator online and it works beautifully; even when none of the words are exactly what I want for my Tags, it always gives me great suggestions for Tags I would otherwise never include in that note.

I hope someone else sees the potential in this and maybe someone at Evernote does to :)

Thank you for listening.

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, ruiguerreiro said:

Hi everyone,

I'm really surprised no one suggested this yet, as I think it would work great as a rough Tag suggestion pool. The idea would be to have Evernote scan each note and generate a Word Cloud (by number of times a word appears in the text, pdf, etc.), from where we would be able to pick words to add as Tags for said note. I have been testing this using a third-party word cloud generator online and it works beautifully; even when none of the words are exactly what I want for my Tags, it always gives me great suggestions for Tags I would otherwise never include in that note.

I hope someone else sees the potential in this and maybe someone at Evernote does to :)

Thank you for listening.

You might end up with more tags and maybe ones you might not remember as easily.  In my view have as few tags as possible.  IAC, you can do a text search on whatever word is so repetitive.  Assuming it wouldn't be a surprise to you that the word would be representative of the note content.

9 hours ago, CalS said:

You might end up with more tags and maybe ones you might not remember as easily.  In my view have as few tags as possible.  IAC, you can do a text search on whatever word is so repetitive.  Assuming it wouldn't be a surprise to you that the word would be representative of the note content.

Hi CalS,

Thank you for participating. I see your point but the Word Cloud function, at least as I see it, wouldn't create tags on its own, it would simply show the user the most used words in the note. The user would then make of it as he pleases. In my system, I rarely pick more than a couple new tags out of each new note, but I do tend to find that sometimes I would have missed them otherwise.

Again, I can see your point regarding search, but at least for my work, I tend to come across some long, long texts that I usually never read entirely, but simply browse and read some parts that I consider essential, so it's common to miss out some important stuff that, although not relevant for the work I am doing at the moment, might be important for future research. So having that note cataloged with those extra Tags might be important in the future.

At least for me, I can see some potential in having such a system implemented into Evernote. I know it won't be easy to get it, as that usually requires some user base support for the idea, but hey, at least it's out there :)

Have a nice day!

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, ruiguerreiro said:

Hi CalS,

Thank you for participating. I see your point but the Word Cloud function, at least as I see it, wouldn't create tags on its own, it would simply show the user the most used words in the note. The user would then make of it as he pleases. In my system, I rarely pick more than a couple new tags out of each new note, but I do tend to find that sometimes I would have missed them otherwise.

Again, I can see your point regarding search, but at least for my work, I tend to come across some long, long texts that I usually never read entirely, but simply browse and read some parts that I consider essential, so it's common to miss out some important stuff that, although not relevant for the work I am doing at the moment, might be important for future research. So having that note cataloged with those extra Tags might be important in the future.

At least for me, I can see some potential in having such a system implemented into Evernote. I know it won't be easy to get it, as that usually requires some user base support for the idea, but hey, at least it's out there :)

Have a nice day!

Yeah, definitely a use case thing.  Depends on how granular you want your tags to be.  My use case, I don’t add many tags anymore, other than project or trip ones.  400 or so tags across 39k notes.  Good luck with it. ?

• Level 5*
On 11/7/2018 at 12:03 AM, ruiguerreiro said:

The idea would be to have Evernote scan each note and generate a Word Cloud (by number of times a word appears in the text, pdf, etc.), from where we would be able to pick words to add as Tags for said note.

I followed up on a Word Cloud using scripting on a Mac.  I can parse the note text and generate a list of words for selection as tags.  I haven't addressed pdfs and other attachments.

I'm still not clear that this will be useful for day to day use.
I'm thinking it's more useful to generate the tags on the fly as I'm reviewing the note; so highlight the text and a keyboard shortcut to generate the tag

On 11/11/2018 at 12:19 AM, DTLow said:

I followed up on a Word Cloud using scripting on a Mac.  I can parse the note text and generate a list of words for selection as tags.  I haven't addressed pdfs and other attachments.

I'm still not clear that this will be useful for day to day use.
I'm thinking it's more useful to generate the tags on the fly as I'm reviewing the note; so highlight the text and a keyboard shortcut to generate the tag

Hi DTLow,

Thanks for your input.

I'm not sure what you mean by "so highlight the text and a keyboard shortcut to generate the tag".

To me, this function would be quite useful, as I'm using it already with a third party app that generates text that I copy paste from Evernote. I can understand that it's not for everyone, but I would love to see a function like this built into Evernote.

Have a nice day!

Add my vote to build a word cloud generator into Evernote.  In practice I upload a note with only up to 3 tags.  The enhancement would be to utilize the word & phrase frequencies to improve search results.  To gain improved accuracy in locating the desired note.

Great idea.

14 hours ago, Bob @ WFBI said:

Add my vote to build a word cloud generator into Evernote.  In practice I upload a note with only up to 3 tags.  The enhancement would be to utilize the word & phrase frequencies to improve search results.  To gain improved accuracy in locating the desired note.

Great idea.

Hey @Bob @ WFBI , great to see someone else that thinks this idea might be useful :) Hopefully someone from Evernote thinks the same.

Archived