Google Keep hijacked Evernote Web Clipper position

Johnw88

Not sure what happened here but -

Went to clip a page and the Webclipper extension icon, which is normally in the first position next to the omnibox, was no longer there. In it's place was a "Save to Keep" icon. 

I don't remember putting Keep in that location. When I went to the extensions page it had a Reload button next to it and the Webclipper returned.

Running Chrome 70.0.3538.77, recently updated, on Windows 10

• Level 5*

Hi.  Not seen any reports like this before...

Don't know what actions could have both added a Keep icon and removed/ disabled the Evernote add-in.  Does anyone else use your computer?  You may have clicked on something inadvertently loading Keep,  or someone else wanted to use that extension and accidentally replaced the Clipper icon.

I'm the only user on this machine and I don't remember adding the Keep extension. Just seems a little suspicious that G launch a competitor to Evernote and suddenly it's replacing it.  Points against this theory, Both Evernote and Adblock required reloading after the Chrome update and I had clicked on the Keep sidebar in GMail to see what it was.

• Level 5*

Unless and until we get some more reports like this I'd write it off as an unfortunate click or keypress - I don't think Google would go quite so far as to hijack a clipper extension... but you're right to be suspicious of any unexpected changes!

• Level 5

This shows the positions for my Evernote and Keep clippers.

Green elephant = Evernote clipper
Black lightbulb = Keep clipper

Both are functioning properly

Using:
* Chrome Version 70.0.3538.77 (Official Build) (64-bit)
* Windows 10

clipper.png

Archived