Evernote Won't Autostart on Windows 10

I've seen discussions from 2017, but nothing recently - sorry if I missed a resolution somewhere. I'm not able to get Evernote to automatically start when I start Windows. I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise 2016, Evernote 6.15.4.7934, installed from Evernote directly. "Launch Evernote at Windows Login" is checked, and Evernote is on my startup disk. 

Any ideas how to get EN to autostart? 

Thanks! 

• Level 5*

Sorry - if the standard startup folder isn't working,  I got nothing on this.

I don't use auto-start on my Windows 10 laptop(s) because I found it was unreliable on other software - I never tried it with Evernote,  I just get everything going from the Start menu. 

I created a Group for my 'desktop' apps,  and just click through the two or three I need when I start the day.  It should be possible to set up a batch file to start several apps with one click,  but I never cracked that trick either - I spent an hour trying to find the right magic words for the file,  then decided it was far more efficient to just click the one(s) I need directly. 

And since I switch between memory-hungry photographic apps and big documents and spreadsheets,  sometimes I need Lightroom,  and other times I need Office - I can choose which apps to start without needing to set up different batch files for each one.

• 10 months later...

I'm having the same issue. Evernote 6.20.2.8626 and Windows 10 Home. It's a relatively new Inspiron laptop, purchased in July 2019. I checked settings in the Evernote desktop app and in the startup menu but cant find an option to turn on the launch at startup feature. Very annoying since I use Evernote heavily. 

On 9/7/2019 at 12:57 AM, Erin B said:

I'm having the same issue. Evernote 6.20.2.8626 and Windows 10 Home. It's a relatively new Inspiron laptop, purchased in July 2019. I checked settings in the Evernote desktop app and in the startup menu but cant find an option to turn on the launch at startup feature. Very annoying since I use Evernote heavily. 

I had this issue on my laptop and desktop recently after a Windows 10 update. Autostart for Evernote, Google Backup and Sync and OneDrive, Teams and Skype for Business just mysteriously "unticked" themselves. I manually fixed this and all is working ever since. What you can also do is to install CCleaner (just Google it) and look at the Tools >> Startup section. Check if Evernote is enabled. Hope this helps!

On 9/6/2019 at 3:57 PM, Erin B said:

Are you using the direct download version? Or the Windows Store version? Launch at start up is not in the Store version (at least not as of June - we hadn't figured out how to launch a store app at startup when I left)

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
On 9/9/2019 at 9:07 AM, Casper001 said:

I had this issue on my laptop and desktop recently after a Windows 10 update. Autostart for Evernote, Google Backup and Sync and OneDrive, Teams and Skype for Business just mysteriously "unticked" themselves. I manually fixed this and all is working ever since. What you can also do is to install CCleaner (just Google it) and look at the Tools >> Startup section. Check if Evernote is enabled. Hope this helps!

CCleaner is not required for this task, and it's largely not recommended any more (see e.g. https://helpdeskgeek.com/free-tools-review/why-you-shouldnt-download-ccleaner-for-windows-anymore/)

To locate your startup programs, from the above article:

You can easily view the programs that are scheduled to launch when your computer starts.

1. Click on the Start menu and type startup tasks.
  2. Click on the Startup Apps under System Settings.
  3. In this tool, you can enable or disable which programs can start when your computer boots up.

As you can see, it’s easier to just go through and disable the apps you don’t want to start, right from this tool that’s already integrated with Windows 10. There’s no need to install anything.

system-startup.png.webp

Ironically, as you can see above, when CCleaner is installed, it configures itself to load as one more application that launches when your computer starts up, slowing it down even further.

Just one more reason why I like this forum. 🙂

From my Startup apps list I do see CCleaner (autostart = low impact) and "Evernote web clipper" and "Evernote tray application". Autostart impact for web clipper = medium and tray application is high. Even Google Backup and Sync = high impact. Does it slow my laptop/desktop down? No. 

Anyway, the question is not about CCleaner (but your note on CCleaner is well noted). If the Evernote application is not listed under Startup apps, where on Windows 10 can you find these then? Perhaps the registry? Not even listed here: "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"

Gosh, my bad. I cannot even see Evernote (other than the tray application and web clipper) in CCleaner either. So I have no idea where this setting is stored on Windows 10. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Casper001 said:

So I have no idea where this setting is stored on Windows 10. 

Have you tried messing with the setting in Tools > Options > General?  If you tick/ untick the "Launch Evernote at Windows Startup" box and sign out of Evernote in between the changes,  you might jar something loose...

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Casper001 said:

If the Evernote application is not listed under Startup apps, where on Windows 10 can you find these then? Perhaps the registry? Not even listed here:

The Evernote Tray Application is the starting point.You should see it in the Startup Apps list (I do). And the place in the file system where it lives is: <current users>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup. It's a link to evernotetray.exe (there's also the web clipper, evernoteclipper.exe).The Evernote tray application seems to spawn evernote.exe and its "Evernote Subprocess.exe" friends automatically, though the Evernote application isn't visible until you activate it somehow.

You can spelunk this sort of stuff using the excellent Microsoft SysInternals AutoRuns and Process Explorer applications, btw.

On 9/10/2019 at 8:48 AM, Casper001 said:

Just one more reason why I like this forum. 🙂

From my Startup apps list I do see CCleaner (autostart = low impact) and "Evernote web clipper" and "Evernote tray application". Autostart impact for web clipper = medium and tray application is high. Even Google Backup and Sync = high impact. Does it slow my laptop/desktop down? No. 

Anyway, the question is not about CCleaner (but your note on CCleaner is well noted). If the Evernote application is not listed under Startup apps, where on Windows 10 can you find these then? Perhaps the registry? Not even listed here: "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"

Gosh, my bad. I cannot even see Evernote (other than the tray application and web clipper) in CCleaner either. So I have no idea where this setting is stored on Windows 10.

It  uses the shortcut-in-the-startup folder method. Windows 10 no longer makes that visible - it's in the `AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup` folder.

edit: Guess I should have read to the bottom before posting! :lol:

• Haha 1