Inbound link handling changed - breaks my use

laird

Idea

Hi,

I split my time 50/50 between ios devices and web browsers (app not allowed on locked down work devices).

I've been happy in the past by keeping a bookmark to my work and personal landing pages but in the last couple days, something has changed on the inbound link handling that breaks this.  

Typically, i will click on my bookmark for my personal page and will get the same page I would get if I was logged in and clicked on the shortcut.  Recently, this behavior has changed and now that bookmark takes me to the external version of that page. 

This is similar to what I would see if I shared the page to a friend and then they clicked on the link.  

Thanks,

Alan

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 10/19/2018 at 12:45 PM, laird said:

Typically, i will click on my bookmark for my personal page and will get the same page I would get if I was logged in and clicked on the shortcut.  Recently, this behavior has changed and now that bookmark takes me to the external version of that page. 

There are three types of links
- Internal/Classic (in-app)
- private browser
- public browser

This is what I see using the private/public browser links
The note in a browser window, and a link to open the note in the Evernote/Web app
886305094_ScreenShot2018-10-20at12_52_49.png.2e77ebc40fb90067ef9fb725566d6200.png      232723680_ScreenShot2018-10-20at13_06_38.png.d9e38e732c7248c4cd75aaa97904260e.png

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Can't remember which thread now,  but there's some discussion in the Forums about how Evernote handles 'classic' and browser links,  and an Evernote employee has confirmed that Evernote did change the way these worked recently.  Given the unenthusiastic feedback in that discussion,  it was confirmed that Evernote would roll back that change for the time being,  until they can come up with a strategy that works more effectively and doesn't kill existing processes.  When I find that thread again I'll try to come back here and link it.

21 hours ago, DTLow said:

There are three types of links
- Internal/Classic (in-app)
- private browser
- public browser

The change I'm calling out is that internal links and private links used to take you to the rich interface if you were logged in.  Now they don't.  All three types of links will take you to the basic interface.  This problem exists in both old and new interfaces.

It seems like this is a feature that needs to be added to the automated testing.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, laird said:

The change I'm calling out is that internal links and private links used to take you to the rich interface if you were logged in.  Now they don't.  All three types of links will take you to the basic interface.  This problem exists in both old and new interfaces.

rich interface = Evernote/Web app

basic interface = note in a browser window

I'm surprised an internal link (evernote:///view...) could open the note in a browser window.  There is no web site specification.

>>No, I'm talking about just the web experience. 

There's a rich interface that resembles the app.  It has the left hand side chrome for menuing, shortcuts, etc. 
= the Evernote/Web app

The basic interface is the stripped down green themed interface with all the whitespace on the sides and no navigation.
= note in a browser window

>>This thread is a defect report on the web experience.

I'm seeing the issue is how note private browser links are being processed.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

You're using terms "rich interface" and "basic interface".  I'm guessing this is app and browser.

No, I'm talking about just the web experience.  There's a rich interface that resembles the app.  It has the left hand side chrome for menuing, shortcuts, etc.  The basic interface is the stripped down green themed interface with all the whitespace on the sides and no navigation.

I'm getting the feeling that your primary Evernote experience is in the app.  This thread is a defect report on the web experience.

Just now, DTLow said:

There's a rich interface that resembles the app.  It has the left hand side chrome for menuing, shortcuts, etc. 
= the web app

The basic interface is the stripped down green themed interface with all the whitespace on the sides and no navigation.
= a browser window

I don't get what this bike-shedding is about.  Both experiences are delivered via the browser.

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, laird said:

I don't get what this bike-shedding is about.  Both experiences are delivered via the browser.

Just trying to learn the names for the UI displays.

I'm testing  using the web, and as I posted above; 

When using the note browser link (www.evernote.com/sh...)
- I see the note in the "basic interface" with an link at the top to open the "rich interface"

Using the note internal link (evernote:///view...) within rhe "rich interface"
- I see the note in the "rich interface"

Archived