Problems in Upgrading

Hello,

I have a problem in upgrading the newer version. My actual is Version 7.5 (457110 App Store). I used Evernote on my Mac for a few years, as premium for a while too, so this is not the first upgrade I do.

It starts to download the 7.5.2 but after a few time it goes in timeout (downloaded 0 kB). I don't want to uninstall then install because I have a lot of offline notes, and I am not sure to keep them safe.

Is there any chance to fix it? maybe downloading the dmg directly?

Thanks in advance to everyone

Claudio

• Level 5*

Hi.  I'm not a Mac user,  so you may get more useful suggestions from others,  but I'd say you should be backing up your database regularly anyway so that you don't suffer any loss.  There's not much risk of that happening,  but if you have important data you don't want to take any risks at all.  If you backup your data there would be no problem with uninstalls / reinstalls.

How to back up (export) and restore (import) notes and notebooks - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005557

I've moved between the App Store and direct-download version at various times in the past without an issue.

That's not a guarantee of anything, because things might have changed, but the last time I did it I was able to just download the application from the Evernote site and overwrite the App Store version on my computer. Make sure Evernote, and the Evernote Helper are exited first. Perhaps someone else who has done it more recently might know of new issues.

Do backup your offline notes, especially. 

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, stephen_bradley said:

I've moved between the App Store and direct-download version at various times in the past without an issue.

I believe there are some differences between the two packages,  not least that (at one stage at least) the database files were stored in different locations.  If you're going to change versions I would have thought that it's really best to backup notes to an independent (of the database) format like ENEX,  uninstall and then clean install.  Again,  I'm not a user,  so I could just be over-cautious,  but that's my preferred mode anyway...

54 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I believe there are some differences between the two packages,  not least that (at one stage at least) the database files were stored in different locations.  If you're going to change versions I would have thought that it's really best to backup notes to an independent (of the database) format like ENEX,  uninstall and then clean install.  Again,  I'm not a user,  so I could just be over-cautious,  but that's my preferred mode anyway...

Totally possible. I haven't switched versions in some time. The backup is definitely the key though, and you can't be too cautious with stuff that might be irreplaceable! :)

• Level 5*
On 10/19/2018 at 7:17 AM, Tubak said:

Is there any chance to fix it? maybe downloading the dmg directly?

Yes, the Evernote package can be downloaded from the Evernote site (www.evernote.com/download)

As per @gazumped, I would be concerned about the change in database location.  
I think this means the database will be rebuilt from the servers and this excludes local notebooks.

>>I have a lot of offline notes, and I am not sure to keep them safe.

Local Notebooks?

As per the others, backups keep your data safe.
All users with Local Notebooks need to backup their data.  By definition, this data is not backed up by Evernote.

Hello everyone and thanks.

I did a backup of all the notes (4k+) in both .emex and .html. Then, I downloaded the newer version directly from the website, and overwrote the older version.

Everything is ok, there was no need to import the backuped notes.

I feel like you solve two problems with your hints: the problem in updating, and the backup! Yes, because I never did it before..

Thanks again

Archived