Another instance of a systemic problem

IncrediMetaBeta

Idea

Please, despite the "rant" nature of this post, do not stop trying!  I'm entitled to spill my disgust, because there is a vital, longstanding and fundamental process-engineering lesson that Evernote shows little sign of learning.

The tags of the latest web interface is the occasion for this rant, but is merely symptomatic of a systemic engineering problem. 

In your new web interface, why have you assumed it is appropriate to divide tags into 5 columns?  Your use of 5 columns means that nearly all of my tags are cropped and thus can't be distinguished from each other. 

So, what I see is this:

Descriptor X - …(0)
Descriptor X - …(2)
Descriptor X - …(10)
Descriptor X an…(3)
Descriptor X an…(3)
Descriptor X an…(1)
Descriptor X an…(1)
Descriptor X an…(3)
Descriptor X an…(1)
Descriptor X an…(1)
Descriptor X an…(6)
Descriptor X an…(1)
Descriptor X an…(1)
Descriptor X an…(1)
Descriptor X an…(3)
Descriptor X an…(34)
Descriptor X an…(1)
Descriptor X an…(2)
Descriptor X an…(1)
Descriptor X an…(6)
Descriptor X an…(1)
Descriptor X an…(2)
Descriptor X an…(2)
Descriptor X an…(1)
Descriptor X an…(1)
Descriptor X an…(2)
Descriptor X an…(1)
Descriptor X an…(1)

By cropping off the end, you are making my tag list virtually useless.

Thing about how avoidable this was had you taken just a brief moment to vet, to question, to tease out your assumptions.

Consider: For years, Evernote has been touted as enabling up to 10,000 tags, far more than the number of notebooks.  For years, Evernote has been used by people who build a tag hierarchy.  

Do you imagine, even for an instant, that tagging using hundreds or thousands of tags, is done in a way that people use only about 12 characters?  Which is approximately the number of characters visible in your 5-column tag view?

How absurd and how avoidable that Evernote would fail to vet its underlying assumptions. 

And this does not even include that you have also eliminated the hierarchical arrangement that I've so painstakingly created.

There is a highly technical engineering term for such antics.  The term is "silly."  

You really do not have engineering ability.  For some of your changes, you just improvise without an explicit rationale.  

Why? The urgency of deadlines?  Lack of customer feedback during the design process? The monocular vision of engineering?  Lack of communication between those who specify the change to be made and those who code it?  

You've got big process problems.  Enough of this god-awful marketing happy-talk in your periodic announcements and blog posts. 

You should open your kimono and talk candidly about the challenges of translating customer needs into a definable spec and the resultant code.   

You just might enhance customers' respect. We are rooting for you. We want you to succeed.  

Yet, Evernote still remains high in the rankings for the world's most needed, most mission-critical and relied on software that fails to fully meet people's needs because it cannot get its act together. You can do better!

You need to get this right and fast, at least until Evernote no longer is where "Ideas Go To Die," forever locked in the cloud, with an awkward interface, slow as molasses (Evernote Windows), incapable of being properly curated and made useably accessible.  And "You-can't-please-everybody" is no excuse. 

1 reply to this idea

Archived