OPTION To Open EN Notes Linked to from Other Website in EN-Web -or- EN-Desktop

RavBoy

Idea

My Scenario:  MS Win10 +  Google Chrome Browser + using EN for Windows Desktop App (6.15.4.7934 (307934) Public (CE Build ce-53.4.6770) during day-to-day business hours use. Other than that I occasionally use my iPad or Android Smartphone mostly just to view/reference stuff via the EN installed apps...so I rarely use the EN Website from any device.

I do NOT believe it is possible in 2018, to create a note-link that is shared/added on other websites (or an email), that will then take/connect you to the Note on the MS Windows DESKTOP App vs the EN WEB App/website, when clicked. I think EN discontinued this functionality in order reduce conflicts/or to standardise things across platforms.

https://blog.jasonfrasca.com/open-evernote-note-links-directly-on-the-desktop-again-5ccd8bfaa48a suggests a solution, that ultimately requires the use/creation of an EN 'Classic Link'.  The article however is dated 2014. 

The only way I was able, that I could find, to create a 'Classic Link' e.g.  " evernote:///view/.../ "  was to 1st go online and logon to EN Web (not my EN Desktop App)... Then hover over an 'IN-APP' link to the Note, that I wish to link to (so had to create the in-app link as well)... then copy and paste this in to the desired application, in my case Asana. 

Problem is the 'Classic Link' was not recognised by Asana nor was it recognised in a test email I created using my MS Outlook desktop client...so no can do unfortunately.

So My Feature Request is:   Please Add an OPTION to create a Link that could either open the Note in EN Web or EN Windows Desktop App.

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I use the Classic Link in other apps; for example a budget spreadsheet has links to all my receipt notes.  The links work on both my Mac and iPad.

The web link might be more acceptable.  The browser then gives me the option of opening the note in the Evernote app.384007277_ScreenShot2018-10-17at21_08_51.png.6dc7720f232c28005588ef05129a3bb7.png

edit: added screenshot

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I use the Classic Link in other apps; for example a budget spreadsheet has links to all my receipt notes.

Nice example/use case...noice

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

The browser then gives me the option of opening the note in the Evernote app.

How/where does it do this please?

1 hour ago, jefito said:

And please don't post the same thing twice.  Forum Rules here: https://discussion.evernote.com/guidelines/. It's #7.

Sorry mate I didn't know that.  In this case though, it doesn't really make sense to rewrite it, simply to follow the rules, given I just want to turn a post in to a feature request and it already states it well enough, but I guess the rule would probably make sense if I was simply spamming all the forums to get responses or some such.

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

The browser then gives me the option of opening the note in the Evernote app.384007277_ScreenShot2018-10-17at21_08_51.png.6dc7720f232c28005588ef05129a3bb7.png

edit: added screenshot

Thanks for that ?

I went to the EN web app/website again...as I didn't recall seeing this button.  I then discovered there was an option at the bottom left of screen to, i think it said, 'switch to the new version' ...when i made the switch, the screen looks nearly the same as the EN for Windows desktop app, which is awesome.  Its so good it sort of removes the need for this feature request entirely, IMHO...so leave it up to EN staff to consider or not.  Finally, and even after updating the EN Web app view/version, I still do NOT see the button option as you do! Could it be a Safari/MAC IOS thing?

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, RavBoy said:

Sorry mate I didn't know that.  In this case though, it doesn't really make sense to rewrite it, simply to follow the rules, given I just want to turn a post in to a feature request and it already states it well enough, but I guess the rule would probably make sense if I was simply spamming all the forums to get responses or some such.

No problem -- I know you're not spamming; just letting you know  If you want a topic you've started to be turned into a feature request, then just ask in the topic, and someone can move it to an appropriate forum (there's a number of non-Evernote employees patrolling around who have the power to do that; for more extensive shuffling around, a real moderator is required). Anyhow, it looks like you got some good info both here and there, so carry on. 

I came across this note because I recently discovered that clicking on Evernote links in apps besides Evernote now open up by default in my web browser.

I see the topic of classic links versus public/private links is *years* old, but up until recently, I wasn't aware of this, nor was I affected by it. If I was in the Evernote desktop app (MacOS) and copied a note link (right-click, copy note link) and pasted it into another app, I could click that link and it would open in Evernote Desktop.

Recently, this changed, and the same links would open only in the web browser. I see that this, too, is a years-old debate.

Now that I've been pulled screaming out of my cave of blissful ignorance, I wanted to share a few things that I haven't seen discussed yet. Or maybe they were buried too deep in other threads.

1. Previously, when I clicked an Evernote link (https://www.evernote.com/shard/blah/nl/foo/bar), it would first open a new browser tab, but then prompt me if I wanted to open the note in Evernote desktop. I chose to do so, happily.
  2. Now, when I click the same Evernote link, it laboriously loads up a web version of Evernote. It's a matter of seconds, but that's much slower than opening the link in my Evernote app.
  3. I discovered that I could revert back to the previous behavior by navigating to my user preferences in the Evernote web page, and revert back to the "classic" Web view.
  4. After some more experimentation, I discovered an even newer Web-based version of Evernote that looks very close to the desktop app in terms of appearance.
  5. In none of the web views do I see a "view in Evernote" link referenced in the screenshots above.

For the devs:

1. The new web client view is pretty cool.
  2. I understand why you'd default to note links referencing the web version of Evernote. It makes sharing easier. And I've noticed the greater emphasis on teamwork and note sharing.
  3. I use my notes mostly for myself, so I like using Evernote Desktop.
  4. I understand I can still use Classic links to force notes to open in the app.
  5. It looks like the new web version (not classic web view) will not provide the ability to view a note in the desktop app.
  6. Request: please maintain an option in the web client to allow users to view the note in the desktop app.

Thanks for reading

Archived