It's pretty difficult to link to another note

For comparison, look at how Quip or Nuclino do it—type an @ symbol, and you get an autocomplete that starts suggesting other notes to link to. That's great UX imo.

In general, Evernote underutilizes linking between notes. It's really very powerful.

Most of my links are in context of 'Table of Contents'.  In those cases I've pre-filtered what I want included then catch all in one action.  Occasionally I'm working a project and want a manual or some other reference in the project notes.  In that case your suggestion could work, but likely faster to do more comprehensive search the current way than autocomplete. For instance I know it's pdf, or ppt, or doc.  Those things are easily filtered and greatly reduce possibilities, then further by tag or intitle.  I've got hundreds of product manuals as one example which is small subset of thousands of notes, then hoping I start down right path with autocomplete. I don't see it working well for me.

In other cases I treat my notes as records, and link them together with a primary key. One note is the searchable master for the recordset. The keys are a mix of formal project codes and adhoc timestamp based serial numbers.

• Level 5*
On 10/11/2018 at 4:14 PM, markhenry said:

type an @ symbol, and you get an autocomplete that starts suggesting other notes to link to.

What would be the scope of the suggestion list?
I'm using a script (Mac) that uses the selected notes as the suggestion list.

3 hours ago, Gear64 said:

In other cases I treat my notes as records, and link them together with a primary key.

I don't want to add another organization method so I simply use the tag names from the Tag feature.

10 hours ago, DTLow said:

What would be the scope of the suggestion list?
I'm using a script (Mac) that uses the selected notes as the suggestion list.

I don't want to add another organization method so I simply use the tag names from the Tag feature.

The key is a tag. I use this for projects and  events. I have a master note tagged  abstract such that I can get a project listing. Then on desktop app which is main workspace. It's just drag and drop to search bar, to flip from project listing to project exclusive.

On 10/12/2018 at 6:14 AM, markhenry said:

For comparison, look at how Quip or Nuclino do it—type an @ symbol, and you get an autocomplete that starts suggesting other notes to link to. That's great UX imo.

In general, Evernote underutilizes linking between notes. It's really very powerful.

I want this autocomplete feature for links on mobile. New ground breaking research suggests:

“When the brain builds a model of the world, everything has a location relative to everything else,” that is how it understands everything.”

The more linked up, the more powerful it is. The ability to quickly link to notes and sections of notes has me looking at Notion.so more and more. Still love Evernote, but it’s undeniable how fast comparable companies are adding features.

• Level 5*

Played with Notion a little today. It's very pretty. The editor seems to be extremely flexible. The iOS app looks lovely too.

No forum, so it's difficult to know what real users are saying about it.

Definitely worth more investigation though as my initial impressions are pretty positive.

• Level 5
On 10/11/2018 at 7:14 PM, markhenry said:

You may be right that Evernote could do more with note linking. On the other hand @ and autocomplete would require that you remember the beginning of the title of the note to be linked. For people who have thousands of notes, that might not be much more practical than doing a search for a note and copying its link as we do now.

For me, there are less than 50 links I use quite often and that number slowly grows so it's not difficult to remember. If there were suggestions based on first letters typed similar to quip, nuclino,  cmd-j on osx that would be one way to implement it. 

EN just feels lacking in stability, fluidity and aliveness on mobile, I often end a session in it less inspired than before due to little glitches like cursor jumps to bottom of notes, note crashes, quicker note time outs when moving between apps thus making me find place in note again, etc etc. 

But back on topic, more connectivity would be great. I’m still rooting for EN, just only have so much patience and maybe my way of managing knowledge needs a different tool that has more immediate ways to visualize, connect, and get knowledge back out.

Archived