Request: Option to hide Icons in my shortcuts when on the toolbar

Don Dz

Idea

Showing an icon next to the name of a personal shortcut reduces available screen space on the toolbar, so it would be helpful if there was an option to not show the icons at all.

It is not difficult to remember the type of a given shortcut, and clicking on it reminds you of it, so the icon information seems unnecessary and redundant. 

Yes, I have already reduced the name of my more permanent shortcuts to a single character, but the temporary, day to day shortcuts have normal names and need all the space they can get, as it is I often am forced to reduce those as well while working on them.

Thanks for listening.

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  As far as the standard shortcuts are concerned,  it is possible to opt to show the icon only,  not the name;  right-click the toolbar near an icon and untick "show labels".  If you have other shortcuts in the toolbar it is possible to list them in a separate panel to the left  of the note list - right click the shortcuts area of the toolbar and tick "show in left panel".

On 10/14/2018 at 11:18 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  As far as the standard shortcuts are concerned,  it is possible to opt to show the icon only,  not the name;  right-click the toolbar near an icon and untick "show labels".  If you have other shortcuts in the toolbar it is possible to list them in a separate panel to the left  of the note list - right click the shortcuts area of the toolbar and tick "show in left panel".

I find the toolbar the most optimal location for my shorcuts in terms of efficient use of space while showing as many links as possible, cluttering the left panel seems inefficient in that respect. 

I have not graduated to hiding the left panel all the time yet, I use it to also show a structure in my notebooks, tags and saved shortcuts, this is getting kind of cluttered lately, hence the need to save space.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, Don Dz said:

I find the toolbar the most optimal location for my shorcuts in terms of efficient use of space while showing as many links as possible, cluttering the left panel seems inefficient in that respect. 

I have not graduated to hiding the left panel all the time yet, I use it to also show a structure in my notebooks, tags and saved shortcuts, this is getting kind of cluttered lately, hence the need to save space.

That's the limit of Evernote's flexibility so far - I think a feature request is your next step...  ;)

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, gazumped said:

That's the limit of Evernote's flexibility so far - I think a feature request is your next step...  ;)

Well, this is in the Windows feature request forum... :) 

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, jefito said:

Well, this is in the Windows feature request forum... :) 

LOL - yup.  Hence the smirk on the icon.  Sorry - maybe irony (or my sense of humour) doesn't come over well...

• Level 5*
On 10/16/2018 at 12:18 PM, gazumped said:

LOL - yup.  Hence the smirk on the icon.  Sorry - maybe irony (or my sense of humour) doesn't come over well...

Ha-ha -- those little emojis seem to get filtered out by my reading glasses somehow. Your sense of humor is fine...

Archived