Merge notes keep originals

Gear64

• Level 5*

Hi.  AFAIK the only two methods would be:

As you suggest - duplicate the notes,  merge the duplicates;  which leaves the original notes untouched,  or

Merge the notes,  check in Trash for the originals and reinstate them - not sure what that does to their UIDs

to merge notes, you must first highlight the notes you want to merge, then if you are on Windows you must click on the highlighted note and choose Merge Notes from the context menu. If you are on a Mac, choose Note → Merge Notes.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Mini Militia App Lock 7Zip

• Level 5*
On 10/9/2018 at 9:52 AM, Gear64 said:

Short of duplicating the originals, is there a way to merge a group of notes into a new note. Like a summary report, where I want the originals in place at their original context.

Another way to approach this is to make a table of contents note containing links to your original notes. See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005667-How-to-create-a-table-of-contents-with-links-to-other-notes

3 hours ago, jefito said:

Another way to approach this is to make a table of contents note containing links to your original notes. See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005667-How-to-create-a-table-of-contents-with-links-to-other-notes

Thanks, it was a failed experiment into merging, formatting, and printing a summary report.  However your suggestion works great for things like managing my collections of product manuals, and event collateral.  And this makes a handy little shortcut - sourceurl:"file://Table of Contents" A TOC of TOCs.

I may have just stumbled on the workaround.  It doesn't need to be fancy, I was over complicating it.  Just select them all and print, no need to merge first.  I'll need to see how well it works the next time I have a real use case.  Maybe a lot of white space, but likely just printing to pdf anyway.  With merging, page breaks become an issue as well.  So far every note is a page,  if the contents of my note fit in my screen without scrolling it will fit on single letter sheet.

The actual use case is managing receipts for expense report.  Here's a flow that seems to work.  Something large like a full page hotel print out is 1 to 1.  Little ones like restaurant go in 5 x 2 table, fit to width is almost perfect for letter page.  If some are very long and you need the whole thing, may need to do a 4 x1 to legible printed. Will see how this works out over time.

Archived