two device limit error - signing out not working

mike.antonacci

Idea

for a while now, I've been using Evernote on android, and my home and work computer (but one at a time, since I only have the free version of Evernote). I'd sign out of one computer and then sign into the other. That had been working just fine until the past couple months. now, even when I sign out of one computer, when I go to log into the other computer, it says I have too many devices and need to unsync one. At first I thought I had just been forgetting to sign out, but it still happening even after I'm for sure that I signed out. for example, I know that I signed out of my work computer on Friday before I left, but logging back in on my home computer says I need to unsync.

As best I can tell from the Evernote website, the two device limit means they can only be signed into two devices at the time, so if that's the case, it means signing out of one makes that device not count as one of the two (for the limit). Is there anything differently I need to be doing to make sure that happens?

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Sounds like you have it right.  You can use the web in addition to the two devices, so three options to access EN at any given time.  Go to the web version and look at Account Settings - Devices to see what devices are in use.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, mike.antonacci said:

As best I can tell from the Evernote website, the two device limit means they can only be signed into two devices at the time,

The limit does not check "signed in"
Evernote maintains a list of the devices that have signed into your account (edit: current and past), and uses that list to check for # of devices.

You can access the list in your account settings and revoke access for any non-active devices.

okay, so then their FAQ is incorrect? "Each device where you’re signed in to Evernote counts toward your device limit." https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/218558068-Devices-FAQ

Because if I'm reading it correctly, if I'm signed out from a device, then it won't count towards the limit.

if what you're saying is correct, then Evernote should probably update their FAQ

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, CalS said:

AFAIK it has always been represented that you have to log out of a device to log into a different device when the two device limit has been hit.

I've seen that not always work right. Best bet is to go to your Evernote web site, settings, and remove devices there. That is certain to remove them.

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, EdH said:

I've seen that not always work right. Best bet is to go to your Evernote web site, settings, and remove devices there. That is certain to remove them.

Good to know.  Wasn't sure having never had to deal with it.  Thanks.

Revoke device is failing on all apps, client-side and web-app.

My iPhone died when it failed to float in a puddle. It's been declared irreparable by Apple. I've replaced it. I have a Windows laptop client Evernote and the new iPhone client. So 2 signed-in active devices, and one that died whilst in service...

1. Client-side apps show all three devices. Allows me to revoke one but  the dead phone then reappears.
  2. I've also revoked on the web-app but on refresh it reappears.
  3. Have revoked all devices. The dead one keeps reappears on refresh - zombie-like

Is there a solution to being haunted by dead technology.. Seems a strange way to force a user upgrade (the only way to add a support request).

Ideas appreciated!

• Level 5*

You need to contact Support if you cannot get the web to revoke the device. I've never seen that fail, and if it does, I don't know there is anything a user can do themselves but contact support.

Archived