(Archived) To-do List Behavior

I don't think the Shift-Ctrl-C functionality is working correctly -- or rather, it does not work as expected. My expectation is that it would work the same way a bulleted list or numbered list does. For instance:

Create a note of 3 or 4 lines using the enter key at the end of each line. If you select all of those lines and click either the bullet list icon or numbered list icon, then the lines are prefixed appropriately by either bullets or numbers. BUT... when you select those lines and use the Shift-Ctrl-C (ie: 'To-do' key combo) the lines are deleted and replaced by a single, lonely check box. Oops... shouldn't I have check boxes in front of each line of text? How can I make a To-do list with multiple items? At this point the only way to do it is to position the cursor at the beginning of each line and type Shift-Ctrl-C. That doesn't seem very elegant.

Thanks for letting me try the Beta. I will definitely be using it cross-platform between my HP Tablet and my MacBook. Good work so far.

Brad Gibson

Checkboxes are not bullets. Treat them as symbols which toggle their state when clicked. You can combine checkboxes with bulleted or numbered lists, to your liking.

As checkboxes are reated as symbols, Ctrl+Shift+C inserts a new checkbox, replacing the curent selection (as if you paste a single 'A' symbol, for example).

So, to create a to-do list, create simply a list first (e.g. bulleted or numbered), then Alt+click (or press Ctrl+Shift+C) into each place where you want to insert the checkbox.

Checkboxes are not bullets. Treat them as symbols which toggle their state when clicked. You can combine checkboxes with bulleted or numbered lists, to your liking.

As checkboxes are reated as symbols, Ctrl+Shift+C inserts a new checkbox, replacing the curent selection (as if you paste a single 'A' symbol, for example).

So, to create a to-do list, create simply a list first (e.g. bulleted or numbered), then Alt+click (or press Ctrl+Shift+C) into each place where you want to insert the checkbox.

Well... That's my point. Creating a to-list by manually adding check boxes for each item is completely counter-intuitive. And why would a check box be a "symbol" and a bullet is not a "symbol". To-do lists should be created in the same manner as bulleted lists.

Brad

When checkbox is a symbol, you can cut/copy/paste it with text, combine with ordered or numbered lists, put the checkbox anywhere you like (in table cells, inside text, for example), not just at the beginning of each list item.

We have no real to-do lists, actually. We have individual to-do checkboxes, which user can combine into lists, if he wants to. This is a more powerful approach.

Speaking of your suggestions, I think we can think of adding the context menu command and e.g. Alt+Shift+Ctrl+C combination to mark the selection as a to-do list (i.e. add the to-do checkbox at the beginning of each line).

When checkbox is a symbol, you can cut/copy/paste it with text, combine with ordered or numbered lists, put the checkbox anywhere you like (in table cells, inside text, for example), not just at the beginning of each list item.

We have no real to-do lists, actually. We have individual to-do checkboxes, which user can combine into lists, if he wants to. This is a more powerful approach.

Speaking of your suggestions, I think we can think of adding the context menu command and e.g. Alt+Shift+Ctrl+C combination to mark the selection as a to-do list (i.e. add the to-do checkbox at the beginning of each line).

I really do like the functionality of the Alt-Click and being able to put the check box anywhere (which makes it more powerful than OneNote). It would be really cool if you could combine both concepts. Thanks for considering it.

Brad

We have no real to-do lists, actually. We have individual to-do checkboxes, which user can combine into lists, if he wants to. This is a more powerful approach.....

I agree you have no real todo lists but I disagree that your approach is more powerful. I'm actually splitting my time between todoist.com and EverNote right now, EverNote is a great place to take notes but on the todo list side it's very weak. Every other todo list app I have used (and there have been a few) has the ability to send reminders. Either pop ups, or even better email and sms messages. It would be an area that makes sense to spend some time on making more powerful, as it really isn't a great workflow to have to have my todo items in one place in order to get reminders, but my supporting documentation in EverNote. I'm trying to find a workaround but right now it's making EverNote be more of an archive or dumping ground for items I don't really care about. If it's important to me there is a good chance I need to follow up on it at a certain date/time.

I'm loving EverNote so far, the few bugs I've run into are expected to me, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it's current todo functionality "powerful".

• 1 month later...

I am running Version 1.1.0b Beta (30365) MAC

all the formatting tools like Bullets and numbering for lists are no longer in the MAC beta when compared to Beta of Windows 3.0.0.594...

Is this a bug in MAC or an omission? Its a very needed feature. Can you please let me know?

ANY COMMENTS ARE WELCOME!

Check-box cannot be used on Iphone (not created and if created, not checkable, not uncheckable).

Must be because you cannot edit a note on Mobile or Iphone. However, the checking might be highly used on a mobile!!!

Is there a new version for Iphone and Mobile that will fix this? (In a near period of time?)

Thanks

Tom

How do we add todo items using the web interface

This isn't supported by the current note editor, but we plan on doing some work with the web-based note editor in the near future which may improve the situation.

Thanks

Archived