Why is there a Facebook cookie in Evernote web?

EdH

• Level 5*

Come on.... why are you letting Facebook place cookies into our Evernote account when we log in?

Really? Facebook? You are letting facebook place cookies into our Evernote web sessions. Unbelievable.

image.thumb.png.38ad500bf576e63af2d610598762f6fb.png

• Like 2

Hi @EdH, I lead Evernote's security team. You are correct that we are letting facebook and other social networks place a cookie in your browser when you login to our web client. Please check out the "Social Media Features" section off this page for more information: https://evernote.com/privacy/cookies

This cookie doesn't give Facebook or any other social network access to your account or notes. We are only setting the cookie on the login page. We never load any social media javascript or tracking pixels on pages inside the web client to protect the privacy of your note content. For changes to the login page, we have an internal review process that includes a member of my team approving any new javascript being loaded.

Why do we load the cookie? Primarily to allow our marketing team to retarget you on social networks to let you know about new features, discounts, etc...

Your Evernote web client experience should be the same whether you accept or reject these social media cookies.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Thanks Rich. I have blocked the cookie. I don't even have a facebook account, and am bothered by how much Facebook still tracks me. I don't want Facebook OR ANY social network to know what I am doing on Evernote.

It is one thing to have it on the general evernote.com site for likes or whatever, but quite another IMHO when I am logged into my account. That should be bare bones to allow Evernote's service to function, not to retarget users on social media sites, or provide Facebook any data for EN users that don't have Facebook accounts.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 years later...

Hi Rich Tener,

I agree entirely with EdH: DO NOT PLACE COOKIES ANYWHERE!

I pay to use EverNote software and data storage, I do not want ANYONE to have ANY idea what data I store, what I do with it, what web pages I store or access etc.

Make any such cookies optional and configurable.

Facebook, Google, Twitter are evil. When I say "evil", that's mild. They are run by psychopaths. All big tech corporations are. We've seen what kind of ideology and what interests they represent, how they censor content, how they support criminals, how they interfere in elections and in the free distribution of medical information. Blocking 3 of the most significant virologists on the planet and their Great Barrington declaration is a Soviet level of censorship. Totally unacceptable!

Don't ever allow any of those companies to have access to my data or my web use etc.

And please reply to my question about why V10 does not allow us to copy pictures as we can in V6. That's THE most important function that I use all the time. Without the ability to use EverNote as database for images, it loses 90% of its functionality.

I'd love to hear an explaination for the decision to deactivate the Copy function. There must be a reason and I don't think I'll like it, but I really want to know!

Fully agreed. No tracking cookies of any kind, at least not for paying customers.

If you must do it for "free" accounts, please make sure that paid accounts don't get cookies. And no excuses.

• Like 1

Why does no one ever want to answer my question: WHY DID YOU REMOVE THE "COPY IMAGE" FUNCTION from V10?
It's the same on all the platforms - you do not allow the copy of images stored in Evernote.
A basic, fundamental and absolutely essential function!
As in V6, I want to be able to click on any image either CTRL-C or Menu/Copy to move that image to the system buffer. How hard can it be?
You clearly do not support that anymore and that was a conscious, voluntary decision. The function did not just "get lost".
And you refuse to reply to questions about it. For months now.
Please finally come clean and explain WHY you changed this! At least that way we'll know and we can start looking for alternatives.