Web Clipper no longer available for Safari 12.0

Go to solution Solved by evernote_healthcare,

I cannot locate the Web Clipper in the Extensions list for Safari 12.0 (High Sierra). 

When I menu to Safari>Extensions (which takes me to the App Store) and search for "evernote," the results show the Evernote application itself and a few plugins that integrate into Evernote (e.g. no Web Clipper extension (same result when I search for extensions containing "clipper").

1635595659_ScreenShot2018-10-05at10_54_10AM.thumb.png.63eabc558ef7e34f0606915143de37ec.png

116821724_ScreenShot2018-10-05at11_00_38AM.png.c84990d58cf6cb050e842026b2e6ec3d.png

Any suggestions as to what's wrong or how to locate and install the Evernote Web Clipper

Edited by RAPriceTX
forgot to attach screen shots

I have the same problem-- disappeared Web Clipper for Safari 12.0; no web searches turn up anything of use!

As an Evernote user since possibly the beginning-- this latest problem, and the lack of any kind of explanation or reassurance from Evernote leaves me frustrated & just a tad disillusioned.

is Evernote working on it? Do they even care? Hey Evernote--Anybody there?

• Sad 1

I noticed on my machine that the "Want to develop" text appears first, and then a couple seconds later, the extension info appears above that text. Perhaps try it again, and see if something is preventing the extension link from displaying? Or if you have to wait a few seconds or scroll up?

Barry

The web clipper for Safari simply doesn't work.  I've downloaded it multiple times, deleted the extension, cleared the cookies, restarted the computer many times and still the icon shows up on the toolbar with the dot on the bottom left indicating the web clipper is not installed.  It's happened before in prior versions of Evernote and Safari but I was always able to reinstall and get it working.  I'm using a Mac with the latest OS (10.13.6) and Safari 12.0 and the latest version of Evernote.  Any steps I can take to get the web clipper working again?

The link supplied "On 10/8/2018 at 4:00 PM, Barry McBride," worked on OS 10.13.6 and Safari 12.0, just like yours steveb14. You actually did much more than I did to try to get it working (I didn't clear cookies or restart my Mac). Frustrating.

Thanks for the moral support, RA.  I also used the link supplied by Barry McBride but the web clipper still will not work.  Each time I choose the clipper it takes me to the Evernote sign on screen but signing in does not cause it to function.  It used to work, albeit it would periodically exhibit this behavior (maybe due to Evernote updates or OS updates?), but I could always fix it by uninstalling the clipper, signing out of Evernote, clearing cookies, shutting down Safari, restarting my Mac, signing into Evernote, and reinstalling the clipper.  No such luck with many similar tries for the past month.

For what it's worth, which is probably very little, the clipper works for me on 10.14.0 and now 10.14.1 (currently build 18B67a) without issue, on two iMacs and a new MBP. It works on both Safari 12.0.1 (14606.2.104.1.1) and Technology Preview Release 67 (Safari 12.1)

I only mention that to suggest that the problem is more likely to be some local configuration issue or messed up preference file rather than an overall broken extension.

It might be worthwhile to create a new account on your Mac and see if the clipper will work from there. That would narrow the problem down to a configuration issue, probably in Safari. Or you could just completely reset Safari on your live profile, but that might be extreme.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Although I didn't have to create a new account, you were correct that the issue was local.  For lack of a better description, the clipper worked in Safari when configured in a "new window" rather than a "new private window."  That did the trick.  Perhaps the "new private window" blocks items that the clipper needs to configure properly.  In any event, it's working now.

For All with the same web clipper problem:  I just got this from a higher-level tech:

"It looks like you have the "Prevent cross-site tracking" option selected which will prevent the Clipper from functioning by design. To resolve this issue, please de-select the "Prevent cross-site tracking" option."

This definitely, unequivocally worked!, after many, many back-and-forth emails & web searchings.  Give it a try, and good luck!

2 hours ago, jackmcguire said:

For All with the same web clipper problem:  I just got this from a higher-level tech:

"It looks like you have the "Prevent cross-site tracking" option selected which will prevent the Clipper from functioning by design. To resolve this issue, please de-select the "Prevent cross-site tracking" option."

This definitely, unequivocally worked!, after many, many back-and-forth emails & web searchings.  Give it a try, and good luck!

That confuses me. 

Ive had the cross-site blocking option turned on for a long as it's been an option. It's on now.The clipper works perfectly for me and installs without an issue as long as I get it from Safari Extensions page. Glad it worked for you all the same.

2 minutes ago, stephen_bradley said:

That confuses me. 

Ive had the cross-site blocking option turned on for a long as it's been an option. It's on now.The clipper works perfectly for me and installs without an issue as long as I get it from Safari Extensions page. Glad it worked for you all the same.

It's all a mystery; whatever works. Before I unchecked "Prevent cross-site blocking," it was suggested that I uncheck "block all cookies." All three of those options (incl. "Ask websites not to track me") are unchecked in my Privacy settings...

Well, shut my mouth and feed me fried green tomatoes, Reverend. I find I now have Clipper installed on Safari. And maybe have for some time, not sure. Why? Because I just discovered the little elephant, in a totally different position than he assumes in Chrome.

Here's what it looks like beside the URL slot:

image.thumb.png.a89bed3d635eb28fe69a3d325bd25370.png 

image.png

I have completed all the suggestions above, cleared my history, unchecked Prevent cross-site blocking, block all cookies (already unchecked), cleared website data, unstalled/re-installed Web Clipper twice.  I am running Safari v.12.0 using MacOS Mojave 10.14.  I get the following message.  I cannot get logged into the app on the toolbar.  Any suggestions?

image.png

• 3 weeks later...

I am running Safari 12.0.1 and High Sierra, I had a lot of problems with the clipper and could finally reinstall it after finding a correct link here.

It still does not work properly, and seems to be dependent on the site that you are trying to clip and what you are trying to clip. for example, it will allow you to clip the bookmark on some sites (like this one) but not others. On some sites, it will properly clip the article, but not the bookmark, etc. I do not feel like spending the next few hours testing all possible combinations on a variety of sites, so please excuse me for not doing a better job as Evernote's QA department. I have tried allowing cross-site tracking (against my better judgement) but it made no difference.

This bug is extremely annoying to the point of taking away a big part of the usefulness of the app. I already regret having taken the annual subscription and will most likely not renew it. Too bad, it looked like a good product for a little while.

Thank you for the tip. I've managed to download but in safari console of my browser it delievers a lot of javascript errors, such as: 

Error: Mismatched anonymous define() module: function (){function a(a){var b=a.toUpperCase().split(" "),c=[],d={"\u2190":37,"\u2191":38,"\u2192":39,"\u2193":40};return b.forEach(function(a){"number"==typeof a?c.push(a):d[a]?c.push(d[a]):c.push(a.charCodeAt(0))}),c}function b(){this._codes={},this._handler=null}return b.prototype._evaluate=function(a){for(var b in this._codes){var c=this._codes;c.index=a===c.keys[c.index]?c.index+1:0,c.index===c.keys.length&&(c.index=0,c.callbacks.forEach(function(a){a()}))}},b.prototype.addCode=function(b,c){var d=this._codes;if(d)-1===d.callbacks.indexOf(c)&&d.callbacks.push(c);else{if(!this._handler){var e=this;this._handler=function(a){e._evaluate(a.keyCode)},window.addEventListener("keydown",this._handler)}d={callbacks:[c],keys:a(b),index:0},this._codes=d}},b.prototype.removeCode=function(a,b){if(void 0===a&&void 0===b)this._codes={};else if(void 0===b)delete this._codes[a];else{var c=(this._codes[a]||{}).callbacks||[],d=c.indexOf(b);d>-1&&c.splice(d,1)}Object.keys(this._codes).length||(window.removeEventListener("keydown",this._handler),this._handler=null)},b.Code={Batman:"\u2191 \u2191 \u2193 \u2193 \u2190 \u2192 \u2190 \u2192 B A"},window.Konami=b,b}
http://requirejs.org/docs/errors.html#mismatch

That seems not very trustworthy to me.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The web clipper is now completely broken in the Safari Preview. Apple seems to have blocked all extensions that do not originate either in an app (for example the ToDoist extension) or the App Store. If you go to the Evernote web clipper download page, there is no longer any option to install it. If it is already installed, Safari notifies you that it has been disabled, and it cannot be re-enabled.

This happened in the last Preview build (12.1 I believe), is still true in 12.2 (Release 83), and I expect it to go live in the next version of MacOS. I certainly hope Evernote is working on getting their clipper either integrated with the application, or on the App Store before then...

• 1 month later...

I am using macOS 10.14.5 beta 2. Safari 13 was pushed today and auto updated. upon launch of Safari, a message saying the Evernote Clipper is not compatible with this version of Safari. any updates planned for those of us who like Safari's privacy features and don't want to switch to Chrome?

Don't know if this will work for everybody ... I'm on Mac 10.14.5 with Safari 12.1.1 and I tried the earlier advice about unsetting the "cross site tracking" option. That made Evernote work again in Safari.

BUT I was not happy at having to unset that option so I tried setting it again and VOILA! It still works.  Must be some weird cookie that needs to be set and then is OK I guess.

Who knows what Safari 13 will do to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Th

On 5/19/2019 at 10:30 PM, OEK said:

I was experiencing the same problem in Safari 12, being unable to install Webclipper from the Safari Extension page above...

I followed this tutorial:

https://zapier.com/apps/evernote/tutorials/how-to-use-evernote-web-clipper

There is a link in this tutorial that worked for me

The provided link is also not working :  Http/1.1 Service Unavailable

• Level 5

Maybe you should throw a nickel into the vending machine. Just tried it, worked fine. Perhaps a temporary time out :

358291338_Bildschirmfoto2019-08-01um16_59_01.thumb.png.566f00b79f3bb254ec2b34814a770e25.png

And just to confirm this:

Webclipper works fine with Mojave and Safari 12.1.1

On installing it probably needs to unselect "Cross site tracking" one time, get Web Clipper working, and then the Cross site tracking can be reactivated without undoing web clipper.

On 7/9/2019 at 8:05 AM, JonBoy490 said:

Don't know if this will work for everybody ... I'm on Mac 10.14.5 with Safari 12.1.1 and I tried the earlier advice about unsetting the "cross site tracking" option. That made Evernote work again in Safari.

BUT I was not happy at having to unset that option so I tried setting it again and VOILA! It still works.  Must be some weird cookie that needs to be set and then is OK I guess.

Who knows what Safari 13 will do to me.

DON'T UPGRADE when it is released and don't do any of the betas if you rely on Safari and the clipper. IT DOES NOT WORK (won't even let you install and will delete any installation you have).

I'm running Catalina beta and Safari 13 and no dice on the EN clipper. I'm forced to use Chrome until it's updated when I want to clip things. No blame going to EN on this though. It was my choice to run the beta and if I absolutely had to I could downgrade (but I don't want to ;) )

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody got the search function working for when you do a google search it also shows Evernote results that match your google search? Is have this option selected in the web clipper but it does not work.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2018 at 6:53 PM, jackmcguire said:

I have the same problem-- disappeared Web Clipper for Safari 12.0; no web searches turn up anything of use!

As an Evernote user since possibly the beginning-- this latest problem, and the lack of any kind of explanation or reassurance from Evernote leaves me frustrated & just a tad disillusioned.

is Evernote working on it? Do they even care? Hey Evernote--Anybody there?

yep no go in Safari. EN web clipper on google chrome works fine. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5
On 8/1/2019 at 5:03 PM, PinkElephant said:

Maybe you should throw a nickel into the vending machine. Just tried it, worked fine. Perhaps a temporary time out :

358291338_Bildschirmfoto2019-08-01um16_59_01.thumb.png.566f00b79f3bb254ec2b34814a770e25.png

And just to confirm this:

Webclipper works fine with Mojave and Safari 12.1.1

On installing it probably needs to unselect "Cross site tracking" one time, get Web Clipper working, and then the Cross site tracking can be reactivated without undoing web clipper.

Tried this already ?

To install it is important to temporarily disable „Cross site tracking“.

I realize this is older but it is not allowed for the newest Safari. Just crazy....another step backwards for Evernote. I was upset that Notion only had Chrome and was working on Safari. Geesh!!!!

Disabling cross tracking, cookies etc does nothing

12.1.2 BTW

I have to agree. The Safari extension is not available and you get into endless loops on their website, as though everything is fine. Evernote is great but the people who are supposed to help are giving the silent treatment. I'm beginning to think they're a bunch of jerks!

• Level 5*
On 9/4/2019 at 1:13 PM, ipanini said:

04-09-2019 19:12

The same frustration here..
I guess Evernote wants to get rid of me as a paying user.. 

I just want to mention that this most likely Apple's fault and not Evernote's. Apple has made extensions in Safari very complicated and difficult, and the EN clipper does A LOT. I'm sure it's a bear to get the thing working around Apple's restrictions.

I'm having the same problem and this is what I was told by Evernote support tonight: 

"Evernote Web Clipper for Safari is temporarily unavailable for download.

Our engineering team is updating it to be compatible with the upcoming release of macOS Catalina and the newest version of Safari, which will be available in the Mac App Store within the next few weeks."

Not happy ...

• Solution

Hello, I'm a big fan of Evernote and the web clipper and usually prefer using it on Mac OS with Safari.  So when I found out about this issue I researched it and thought I would share my findings after contacting Evernote support.  They replied very quickly, even on a Sunday night 🙂.  

Apple is no longer supporting 'legacy' Extensions on Safari 12.x.   This issue is caused by the macOS Catalina 64-bit architecture change.  In Mojave, the app architecture takes a hybrid approach, allowing 32-bit and 64-bit, but providing a warning if you are using 32-bit apps. If you are running Catalina like I am, 32-bit apps will not be supported, period. Therefore if you want web clipper functionality on MacOS Catalina, there are two options, according to Evernote support.  Neither of them mean that as I write this (Monday September 9, 2019) that you can use Safari immediately with the Evernote web clipper.  Third option is don't upgrade right now to Catalina.

1. Switch to Chrome for Mac OS, [which is what I am doing at least temporarily] and use it with Evernote web clipper.  Apple has unilaterally removed what it considers to now be 'legacy' 32-bit applications from the App Store. That's why you can't find Evernote web clipper there any more.

2. Wait for few weeks or months for the Evernote architecture and Mac OS Catalina 64-bit architecture / Safari 12.x architecture to get back in synch.

3. If you are running Mojave, you could also delay upgrading to Mac OS Catalina.   However, there are other benefits to staying current with operating system updates.  Additionally, 64-bit architecture on Apple OS promises to be faster.

I'm including a screen shot from the web site MacPaw with a good explanation of the 32-bit vs. 64-bit issue.  It explains what the issue is, how Catalina sends warnings of the 32-bit issue, and how to find all 32-bit applications running on your Mac.   

For me, this non-64-bit list (i.e. legacy 32-bit list) also included:

1. Adobe application manager

2. Quickbooks

2019-09-09_06-Mojave Catalina 32-bit 64-bit.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Same frustration and wasted time here. 

One suggestion for Evernote Discussion: Change default to display most recent posts first. Browsing through the story from fall 2018 to fall 2019 was an additional waste of time. 

• 1 month later...

with the insane lag on a brand new MacBook Pro Retina display (when you scroll the app lags) and now the clipper not working. I'm not renewing anymore and switching to bear. I have had enough. I pay for this service and have to do massive research to get basic features working. 

22 hours ago, rebelsoul said:

with the insane lag on a brand new MacBook Pro Retina display (when you scroll the app lags) and now the clipper not working. I'm not renewing anymore and switching to bear. I have had enough. I pay for this service and have to do massive research to get basic features working. 

I can’t speak to the lag since we are on different machines, but the clipper works with safari. You have to download the new version for the App Store extensions gallery. 

• Level 5

1) On a relatively new MBP 15" (and yes, retina as well ...) i7/6core/Catalina/Safari 13: No lag of the app, not on scrolling, not on edits, fully responsive. Web Clipper working fine.

2) So maybe you should not search the problem on your machine somewhere else. It is not by accident when EN is working, it is by accident when it is not working. If I were you, I would completely uninstall, restart my MBP and install fresh, using the direct download of the app (not the App Store). WebClipper needs to be installed from the App Store, there is no other option. Then sync my notes from the EN server, and be happy from there on.

3) Or go to wherever you want to go - nobody is forced to use whatever app is around ...

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...
  • Level 5

In that case uninstall it from your Safari, probably through the extensions menu, and from the app folder.

The new web clipper on Catalina can only be installed by the AppStore. Probably you need an older version that will work with your 32bit-System.

You could try support to get a link to an older version to download it.