Random notes not displayed in thumbnail view

• Level 5

In thumbnail view in Note List, some of my notes don't display at all. It seems to be only ones created in recent days; yet some notes created in recent days do display, and I can't find a rationale. In snippet and card views, they display properly. After a reboot of my computer, this seemed to improve, but I still have at least one note that is not visible. It doesn't matter whether the note is open in the main Evernote window or a separate one, or whether it has synced or not. Has anyone else seen this?

Please note: This is not an invitation to promote what you consider to be "the best view." I like Thumbnail, and I plan to keep using it. You know who you are. ;)

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Please note: This is not an invitation to promote what you consider to be "the best view." I like Thumbnail, and I plan to keep using it. You know who you are. ;)

Yeah, @CalS... ?

The thumbnails do seem to be a little slow at coming in, I gave up waiting for a couple that didn't show for in a few minutes. Not sure whether the thumbnails are generated locally or on the servers, but it seems like if you can display the note, you can generate the thumbnail in whatever resolution you need, so it's a bit of a mystery. Oh well, back to the view-that-will-not-be-named...

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*

Now that you've started your Windows shortcuts expose', maybe you can follow it up with a "things that Evernote for Windows does in the background besides editing":

• Syncing
  • Re-indexing the database 
  • Thumbnail generation?
  • Calculating "largest smallest dimension"?
  • Bitcoin mining?
  • Like 1
  • Level 5

Actually, bitcoin mining is something I expect some disgruntled Evernote user to complain about someday: "I need Evernote to keep a running but encrypted total of my bitcoin fortune, and I'm leaving for OneNote until it does!"

Great, now I drifted my own thread.

Seriously, if there are other thumbnail view users around, does anyone else see this? I should add that the disappearing act does not seem to be related to the content of the note: there can be images or no images, checkbox lists or not, long or short notes, etc. Recent creation or editing seems to be the only factor, and even it is not consistent.

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Actually, bitcoin mining is something I expect some disgruntled Evernote user to complain about someday: "I need Evernote to keep a running but encrypted total of my bitcoin fortune, and I'm leaving for OneNote until it does!"

Great, now I drifted my own thread.

Seriously, if there are other thumbnail view users around, does anyone else see this? I should add that the disappearing act does not seem to be related to the content of the note: there can be images or no images, checkbox lists or not, long or short notes, etc. Recent creation or editing seems to be the only factor, and even it is not consistent.

I tried to use it for my receipts once, right after saved views was released.  CPU started spinning and it took forever to display a 5 wide note "list" panel.  Images kept coming and going.  So I stopped./  Just tried again, same issue.  May be because all the receipt notes are PDF's, I don't know.  IAC, not a lot of luck for me.  Stopping EN right now because it is still grinding....

Hi Dave.  Updating Evernote for Android helped me somewhat too -- I now see more thumbnails, but still not all...wish i could find and fix my problem completely.  Thanks.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, VGP said:

Hi Dave.  Updating Evernote for Android helped me somewhat too -- I now see more thumbnails, but still not all...wish i could find and fix my problem completely.  Thanks.

Hmm, we're in the Windows program forum here. If you're having issues with Android, here's the forum for that: https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/210-evernote-for-android/.

• 9 months later...

This is a problem on both my windows 10 computers - latest beta installed:

1/ Go to "All Notes" (I have about 15,000), using "Thumbmail Preview" option

2/ Everything loads nice on initial glance

3/ But if I pull down the scroll toolbar to say half way down through my notes, Evernote is extremely slow to start loading the new thumbnails - typically 1 to 3 minutes to load about 30 thumbnails (ie. not usable) - and most of the time the majority of the thumbnails are not even loaded.

4/ Even if I click an unloaded thumbnail, the note loads, but the thumbnail still does not load or refresh

5/ Now I all have to do is start scrolling and zooming a bunch (10 to 30 seconds) and eventually Evernote will freeze or just crash (disappear without a message of any kind and to restart it, I need to open task manager and close all the subprocesses individually before an attempt to restart is successful )

I recall before the last big overhaul of Evernote ("upgrade" to Chromium I believe?) years ago (2, 3?) , I never had problems with thumbnail view loading (the main way I use the software)

I've been patiently waiting for an update that fixes this, but it never does. I'm looking for some hope that this is fixable / has any priority. Realistically it looks like I'll be canceling my renewal subscription in September. Long in short is I think the new upgrade to Chromium simply made thumbnails a no go in the long run.

So - anyone else having this problem?

• Level 5
On 10/5/2018 at 10:10 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

FWIW, I just did the minor update to 6.15.4, and so far I'm seeing all my notes in thumbnail view. Provisionally, this issue, whatever it was, seems to be fixed.

Well, I know it's almost a year later. But somebody reported a perhaps similar problem, and I realized that I've gotten so used to thumbnails randombly not showing up that I never updated this thread. So: still broken.

• Level 5

I only have about 850 notes, and I don't notice the slow loading, freezing, or crashing. But I do have a number of notes in different notebooks that never appear in thumbnail view, although, bizarrely, they show up fine in snippet or card view. These include very simple text notes or notes with checkbox lists. I reported this last year:

I suspect the two issues are related. And I wouldn't be surprised if Chromium is behind it. Why is everyone switching to it, considering how hard it apparently is to get things working right with it? I have a browser and an email app on my phone that use it, and pages sometimes take at least a minute to become functional after they seem to have loaded.

Moral: whatever is wrong, it's Google's fault.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2018 at 7:21 PM, jefito said:

The thumbnails do seem to be a little slow at coming in

Thumbnails are generated (and stored) locally. (At least they used to be! I doubt things have change _that_ much since I left!) I don't remember, but I think the thread they're rendered on is lower priority.

• Level 5
12 hours ago, dcon said:

Thumbnails are generated (and stored) locally. (At least they used to be! I doubt things have change _that_ much since I left!) I don't remember, but I think the thread they're rendered on is lower priority.

Welcome back, @dcon -- at Level 1! :lol::lol:  All I can say is, some, usually recently edited, thumbs simply never show up. Until some random time in the future when they do.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, dcon said:

Yeah, if they weren't maintained locally, then there'd have to be hooks in the API for thumbnails, which I don't see (though it could be stored as a special resource, I suppose, or the API could have changed), and they'd need to be synced.

Something seems familiar about you, stranger... :) 

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, dcon said:

This can be easily tested.  Go offline and generate notes

Thumbnails are generated locally on my Mac and iPad.  There's no timelag

22 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Welcome back, @dcon -- at Level 1!

Thanks! Kinda sad I lost all those post counts... Oh well! (I actually had to register my personal acct here as I'd only used my EN one before.)

(In case others are wondering what that's all about - I worked at Evernote for 6 years (and posted here as @dconnet). I've since moved on to working with surgical robotics.) My forum visitation frequency will likely be far less :lol: than before.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
45 minutes ago, dcon said:

Thanks! Kinda sad I lost all those post counts... Oh well! (I actually had to register my personal acct here as I'd only used my EN one before.)

I've always appreciated your input in the forums -- thanks for that. I thought that Evernote alumni were given a forum presence that indicated that they had been Evernote staff.

Good luck with your new job. Hopefully it's exciting for you. Quite a difference from working on a general purpose consumer-oriented application and a very specialized application. Since I'm a likely candidate for a minimally invasive procedure some years down the road, please do good work. :) 

23 hours ago, jefito said:

I've always appreciated your input in the forums -- thanks for that. I thought that Evernote alumni were given a forum presence that indicated that they had been Evernote staff.

Maybe? I didn't look - I kept my personal and business stuff completely separate while working there, so after I left I just activated my personal acct here in the forums... @Shane D., is it possible to get my profile tagged as an alumni?

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, dcon said:

Maybe? I didn't look - I kept my personal and business stuff completely separate while working there, so after I left I just activated my personal acct here in the forums... @Shane D., is it possible to get my profile tagged as an alumni?

Looks like you're still listed as an employee: https://discussion.evernote.com/search/?q=dconnet&type=core_members

• 10 months later...

It's the strangest thing, I have pictures that I copy/paste that do not show in my thumbnails (while others show).  The images are viewable just fine within the note, but does not show in the thumbnails.  I like everything to be consistent so this makes me crazy.  I can't figure out WHY it happens, but it must be something with the way the picture is copied/pasted.  Because, the FIX I have found is to download the image (from my saved Evernote) onto my computer.  Then I delete the image from my Note, and I re-add it from the saved version on my computer.  THEN and only then does it seem to upload into the thumbnail.