Sort notes using ! * @ and so on

• Level 5*

I'm trying to sort all my When tags so that when I enter a tag starting with '!', I get the following sort in the dropdown list:

• !!Daily
  • !1-Now
  • !2-Next
  • !3-Soon
  • !4-Later
  • !5-Someday
  • !6-Waiting
  • !9-Completed
  • !Recur
  • !z_Annually
  • !z_Monthly
  • !z_Quarterly
  • !z_Weekly

You'll see that I used 'z' to get the periodicity tags to the bottom of the sort. Is there a special character that would sort below letters? I.e., a character that I could replace 'z' with and still have my desired sort order?

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, tavor said:

You'll see that I used 'z' to get the periodicity tags to the bottom of the sort. Is there a special character that would sort below letters? I.e., a character that I could replace 'z' with and still have my desired sort order?

Ω 

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Ω 

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.

That works for the sort, though unless there is a more convenient shortcut than ALT+234 it's not great for quick entry of a tag. I use the dropdown list as a means of narrowing the tag list, but I typically type characters until the list is winnowed down to one tag. So in this case, I'd have to type the theta character using the above shortcut, which is too slow.

• Level 5*
58 minutes ago, tavor said:

unless there is a more convenient shortcut than ALT+234 it's not great for quick entry

I use a keyboard shortcut expander (it's a builtin feature on Macs)
so I just type   o,,   and it's converted to Ω 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, tavor said:

I'm trying to sort all my When tags so that when I enter a tag starting with '!', I get the following sort in the dropdown list:

• !!Daily
  • !1-Now
  • !2-Next
  • !3-Soon
  • !4-Later
  • !5-Someday
  • !6-Waiting
  • !9-Completed
  • !Recur
  • !z_Annually
  • !z_Monthly
  • !z_Quarterly
  • !z_Weekly

May not be quite what you want, but ! Recur will sort before !Annually.  The space makes the difference.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, csihilling said:

May not be quite what you want, but ! Recur will sort before !Annually.  The space makes the difference.

The space also sorts before special characters, so this would move ! Recur to the very top of the list of tags starting with !. 

I'd like to sort as above.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, tavor said:

The space also sorts before special characters, so this would move ! Recur to the very top of the list of tags starting with !. 

I'd like to sort as above.

Yeah, my bad, didn't test as I should have.  Oops.  :blush:

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, eric99 said:

{   |   }  ~     see http://www.asciitable.com/

I had already tried ~

That character sorts relatively high, and it will sort before a letter or number, so !~ will sort before !z

I'm looking for a (quick to type on standard keyboard) character that will sort AFTER letters.

It looks like the sort order Evernote uses in the tag dropdown field is different from the ASCII table numerical sequence.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, tavor said:

It looks like the sort order Evernote uses in the tag dropdown field is different from the ASCII table numerical sequence.

Sorting isn't always based on numerical order. See, e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collation. Note that Evernote sorts tags in a case insensitive order ('a' and 'A' sort to the same slot, even though they have different numerical values).  Note also that Evernote uses UTF, not ASCII.

You may need to use trial-and-error to determine the special character that you seek, unless someone here has already solved it (I haven't).

• Like 1

You're right, the sort order might be culture dependent, below an explanation how it is done in C# for example:

The sort order of strings depends on the culture you use.

StringComparer.CurrentCulture sorts the following 1-character strings as follows on my machine:

' -   ! " # $ % & (  ) * , . / : ; ? @ [
\ ] ^ _ ` { | } ~ +  < = > 0 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 a A b B c C d  D e E f F g G h H i
I j J k K l L m M n  N o O p P q Q r R s
S t T u U v V w W x  X y Y z Z

StringComparer.Ordinal sorts the same strings as follows:

! " # $ % & ' ( )  * + , - . / 0 1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 : ; < =  > ? @ A B C D E F G
H I J K L M N O P Q  R S T U V W X Y Z [
\ ] ^ _ ` a b c d e  f g h i j k l m n o
p q r s t u v w x y  z { | } ~
  • Like 1
  • 6 months later...

I am aware that this topic has been treated half a year ago, but I'm pretty much stuck on the same issue.

As the in the original question, I am treating some notebook as my todo list. As such, I want to file some entries to belong to a specific project.

However, I want this tag to be the last in the row.

Being a cross-platform user, I found the colon ( : ) to be treated after the numbers on the Mac, but it is sorted before the numbers in Windows. Is there some definite answer on which special character would go behind the numbers in Windows? I'm using the German localization now, it that matters.

It's starting to give me gray hair...

Best regards

Michael

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Dear community,

I would like to know how different signs can be used to sort notes, i.e. making sure that they show up first. What is the order of different signs?

From a bit of trial and error, I have found, for example, that '!' comes before '.' and '*'. 

Is there a list of how these signs are arranged?

Apart from that I order notes using 1. 2. and so on, but sometimes (when I am working on something) I would like to pull up notes in the order by adding a sign infront that then changes the order.

Many thanks, Lotta

• Level 5*

I use special characters to control the order of my notes in title sequence.
I also prefix my tagnames   ?Who !What @Where .When  
also repeating parent tags, for example !Colour-Blue !Colour-Red !Colour-White

There are various tables available on the internet; here's a basic ASCII Table

I suggest you do some experientation and see what works for you.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
19 minutes ago, Gear64 said:

I'm not positive, but I think if you using multiple clients, the OS that client runs on may treat the sort differently.  For instance Android and Apple my tag list is !?. and Windows !#&.

That my understanding too, at least last time I looked into it (some years back). I experimented with this sort of thing, but decided it didn't do anything for my workflow (regardless of any client differences), so I dropped it.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, ladelstal said:

Dear community,

I would like to know how different signs can be used to sort notes, i.e. making sure that they show up first. What is the order of different signs?

From a bit of trial and error, I have found, for example, that '!' comes before '.' and '*'. 

Is there a list of how these signs are arranged?

Apart from that I order notes using 1. 2. and so on, but sometimes (when I am working on something) I would like to pull up notes in the order by adding a sign infront that then changes the order.

Many thanks, Lotta

Create a group of notes with whatever characters you want as the first character in the titles.  Sort the group.  You should have your answer.

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Empathi said:

I am using the greater than symbol for a lot of my tags > 
I have the problem of finding a symbol that appears after the >tag 
Has someone created a list of the symbol order? 

I merged discussions for this topic

• Level 5
7 hours ago, Empathi said:

I am using the greater than symbol for a lot of my tags > 
I have the problem of finding a symbol that appears after the >tag 
Has someone created a list of the symbol order? 

Just tried some symbols:

You can use this one:     ≥     or that one    ≤

Both sort themselves behind the    >   symbol, at least on my Mac. They are created by adding the alt/opt-key.

Sorry, no list either, just tried some possibilities.

• Level 5*

Went back to the beginning, knew I had done this once before.  Turns out it was 2012, thanks EN.

Here's a table I built back then through the high tech method of putting the special character in front of the word tag and adding each tag to the same note.  In list view the tags sort as EN will sort them.  Not rocket science.  This is Windows, but ASCII is ASCII.  The table is pretty as when I changed my Statement tag to $tatement I prettied it up.  A bit OCD for me, but what the hey.  I have some more time on my hands with Covid and all,

ScreenClip.thumb.png.ff113b77612546477c56b84f4a491cb2.png