Evernote Backup

KWR

Hello:

I perform daily backups of my data. I'm aware that Evernote maintains a database of its 'sync' status.

What is the correct way to backup Evernote so that if I have to restore the data, I do not corrupt or confuse the sync status? (i.e. are the some files that I SHOULD or should NOT backup)

Thanks in advance,

Keith

• Level 5*

Which device/platform?

I don't think we have control with the sync status.  It's actually stored in the note's metadata.

If you restore the database, the sync function will run and notes will be updated with the most current version of the note.  Note: this can completely undo the restore.

My restore operations are specific data within a note.  I use copy/paste.
I can import specific notes but this results in new notes being created.
To restore the entire database, I let Evernote rebuild from the master version stored on the servers

Thank you for your quick reply.....that helps.

By coincidence you mentioned something that I posted this AM.

" I can import specific notes but this results in new notes being created."

Would you please read my post entitled "Import Folders" to see if you can help me with that issue as well.

Thank you,

Keith

• Level 5*

Windows and Mac use different methods to manage their database content.

Windows has a separate folder called 'databases' which holds all the files that comprise the notes and notebooks you see in the application.  It also has a sub-folder called 'attachments' which are the temporary files created when you edit a note attachment file.  Those files aren't cleared out routinely,  but you can happily delete them once you're signed out of Evernote.  They're of no further use.

Macs have separate files for each note and attachment which can be backed up via the usual system backup process.

If you import a backup,  you are by definition ADDING to the notes in your database.  Backups should be used to replace corrupted files if necessary.

I use a third-party paid-for service called Backupery to export my notes on a daily basis to ENEX files.  (https://www.backupery.com)

This runs every day at 7 pm and is set to retain a 7-day run of full backups.  (They're quite big - my database is 19GB)

Every week I separately copy my Databases folder to an external hard drive.  (I have a Premium Evernote account plus a couple of basic accounts - all the databases are stored in the one folder.)  And (at least) once a month my hard drive is mirrored to another backup - including the Evernote folders.

In the event that I have a problem,  I'd use my daily backup ENEX file,  or (if that didn't work) a weekly EXB file to re-create a note or a notebook so I can find my historical data.   I would import that data to create a new note or notebook alongside the existing note(s),  because the existing note would have an up to date timestamp,  and my backups would not. 

If I simply replaced the existing data,  the server copy would overwrite my corrected copy with the current corrupted data;  not good.

All of this activity has been purely precautionary on my part.  I have some local (unsynced) notebooks that I'm very aware are only backed up within my system.  My preferred recovery process thus far has been to use Note History to recreate an earlier version of a note.

I have used a copy Databases folder to set Evernote up on a new Windows laptop - basically install Evernote,  log in briefly to establish the connection,  then log out and replace the empty databases folder with a current (up to the minute) copy from the parent device.  That avoids a full download of the database to the new machine,  and maybe saves you an hour or so of slow operations.  Not sure whether it's absolutely necessary or worth it,  but I certainly felt good about it...

My suggestion would be - if you have a smaller database than 19GB (which would be most of them...) that you just copy your Databases folder,  or even just the EXB file,  to another location.  There is a way to use the EXB file to generate a set of ENEX files,  one per notebook;  and if you have your ENEX files you  can import a notebook to compare note contents.  Copy the content of a backed-up note over your existing corrupted note(s),  and they will be re-saved as current notes.  Delete the backup note(s) you don't need and you're done.

Hope that helped...

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, gazumped said:

There is a way to use the EXB file to generate a set of ENEX files,  one per notebook; 

That's a nice Windows feature.  
With Macs, it's an entire database replacement and the sync process goes into  overload bringing everything up to date.

Archived