Bug found, Evernote made double accounts with same email address

PetraLundin

Idea

Dear community,

I have been using Evernote for some time and have found it helpful and a good way to store ideas and other things to remember.

But, some weeks ago I was going to log in to my web account and accidentally clicked on Create account in stead of Log in. I used the same user name (email address) and password as my real account, and then Evernote created a new account with those. This should not be possible of course. When I logged in no one of my old notes were there. This is a really bad bug that Evernote should mend. When I tried to move my old Evernote database to replace the new one it didn't work. So I really want to get my old notes back. Please help me, this is unacceptable. I would like to be able to recommend Evernote in stead of telling others it doesn't work. Best regards Petra Lundin

8 replies to this idea

• Ex Employees

Hi Petra,

Evernote is designed to not allow accounts with identical email addresses to be created. Please double-check that you did not use a different email address or perhaps had a typo when accidentally creating the new account. We see this occasionally with other users who contact customer support. You might look into your email for any correspondence from Evernote regarding your new account(s) to see if there are differences.

Thanks,

Scott

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Scott T. said:

Evernote is designed to not allow accounts with identical email addresses to be created. Please double-check that you did not use a different email address or perhaps had a typo when accidentally creating the new account.

Does this hold true with email accounts that are different, but synonymous to the email server? I'm thinking of GMail, for which, e.g. TheGreatPretender@gmail.com is the same email account as The.Great.Pretender@gmail.com even though they don't match exactly. You used to be able to do this with Evernote, but I haven't tried it in years.

Not that I think that that's what happened here,  it just raised the question in my mind...

• Ex Employees

@jefito The system requires the username to be unique. We used to not require the username to be an email, but that changed several years back. The requirement is that the email be unique in regards to a direct character match. So TheGreatPretender@gmail.com and The.Great.Pretender@gmail.com would be two separately valid usernames in our Evernote database.

Our customer support will actually recommend that people who need a secondary account, such as for trying out Evernote Business, should use GMails "+" feature to make a unique address. So, they could have MyAddress@gmail.com, but sign up for a second EN account with MyAddress+biz@gmail.com. All the email goes to the same place on GMail's side, but it's different to us. I personally use this on our internal test systems to create test accounts while getting all the emails to the same place.

11 hours ago, Scott T. said:

Hi Petra,

Evernote is designed to not allow accounts with identical email addresses to be created. Please double-check that you did not use a different email address or perhaps had a typo when accidentally creating the new account. We see this occasionally with other users who contact customer support. You might look into your email for any correspondence from Evernote regarding your new account(s) to see if there are differences.

Thanks,

Scott

Hi Scott, I just tried to log in again with my old password, didn't work. So I changed to a new password and tried again with my email address, and all I see is the almost empty Evernote account. So it's definitely a big bug. So could you please help me to restore my old notes since you say this should not have been possible.

Can you for instance see if there is an old account with my email address (same as in the forum account) and merge the two accounts with the old notes in it? The old account is several years, the new one was accidentally created on September 13 this year. Best regards. Petra

Apologies for the intrusion.

I am not sure if this is related to the same issue as Petra, but I have just logged back into my Evernote Web platform after over a year. I am using my usual gmail account and I can't see any notes at all. It's just all blank.

I had to reset my password obviously as I didn't remember my old one. I have checked the settings, and the "member since" states March 2017, so definitely I have not created a new account by mistake and I should have loads of notes since March 2017.

Is there any chance that notes are deleted from the cloud when a user doesn't log in for a certain amount of time?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Daniela

• Ex Employees

@PetraLundin: I was able to confirm the account you are using on the board is the one created on Sep. 12th. I was able to locate your other account. It is not using the same email address. I have let our support know and they will follow-up with you.

• Ex Employees

@daniela80 We will never delete any account data unless requested by the user, such as for the new GDPR laws. If you think you have a case of data loss, please reach out to our customer service team and they can try to help you out.

• Level 5

@PetraLundin @daniela80

Thanks for reaching out, and I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing trouble!

I'm going to reach out to you via DM to provide further assistance.

In the future, please open a support ticket in order to receive more expedient assistance with these types of issues as our support agents are the only ones with access to the necessary tools to help.

For more in-depth information, see this:

I'll be following up shortly!

Archived