"View As Attachment" Keeps Popping Open Inline!

Hello,

I'm having an incredibly frustrating issue with Evernote. I have hundreds of notes with long PDF slide decks, in combination with longform typed notes. I type these notes in Evernote while viewing/annotating the PDF in a different app. I have these PDFs "view as attachment" because otherwise I would have 70 pages of slides to scroll through before I reach my actual notes.

My problem is that these PDFs pop open to "view inline" ALL THE TIME!!! It happens whenever the note refreshes, whenever I hit Ctrl-Z, whenever the attachment "updates", and at seemingly many other random times. Incredibly frustrating!

I have the overall app setting default to "View Inline", because my primary use for Evernote is a paperless workflow, and in those settings I do need the attachments to view inline. 

PLEASE HELP!!

This has happened for all of the most recent versions of Evernote for macOS (from at least 7.0 onwards).

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Unless anyone has any better ideas I can only suggest that you set your preference to view inline,  then sign out of Evernote and back in: then reset the preference for view as attachment and live with the restriction that you'll need to right-click the attachment to deselect 'as attachment' to deal with it inline.  Its not possible (IMHO) to have the best of both worlds in this situation.  You could also make use of external storage and save links rather than files in your stored notes so that the expanded versions don't get in the way...

Just to confirm, I have also been experiencing this problem with the changing 'view states' of PDF files within notes on my iMac with my most recent version of the Evernote desktop application (7.5 (457109)).

This did not occur at all with any of the previous versions of Evernote so perhaps this issue can be resolved after closer examination of this PDF behavoir.

YESS!!! A big problem for those of us who have lots of files in a single note.  "View As Attachment" is randomly changing value ever since upgrade Mojave.  PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Evernote address this issue ASAP.  Workflow is now destroyed.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Completely agreed, and having huge frustrations over this with just about every note with attachments.

This has to do both all types of attachments - pdf, Word, Excel.

The "jump" from "attachment" to "inline" often happens when I am editing or just viewing one of the attachment. Specifically when editing. l did not track the exact pattern, but it feels like most often this happens when I Cmd+S on a Word or Excel attachment. All of a sudden al attachments on the given page expand and switch to the "inline" display".

Please please please fix!

• 4 weeks later...

Related to this, were do I find the preferences to switch between inline and attachment views on Evernote for Mac? 

I have a similar workflow and frustrations as the OP.

Apparently its under settings > Notes on Windows… but not on the Mac.

• 2 months later...

I am having the same problem.

I even changed the default view type as "Inline" from settings. However, when I update the document, the current (actually big pdf files) files turn into the inline mode.

• 1 month later...

Does Evernote care about customers' difficulty using their service at all?!  After using the Premium service for over 5 years,  we are seriously considering switching to an alternative platform due to the frustrating "PDF view as an attachment" issue. Can anyone please recommend an alternative service? 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, macneilpi said:

Where is the menu option

On 8/23/2019 at 6:09 AM, mrlsanganeria said:

SOLUTION = In your Mac app, See Evernote > Preferences > Clipping to set the default viewing for attachments.

??

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2019 at 3:09 PM, mrlsanganeria said:

SOLUTION = In your Mac app, See Evernote > Preferences > Clipping to set the default viewing for attachments.

I've had this set for a long time and it still doesn't do it correctly. I'm constantly having to right click the document and set it to view as attachment. 

This has been a bug since 2014.

• 2 months later...

This has also been a longstanding issue for me. I have liaised with Evernote Support about it in the past, most recently in late 2019, and it didn't seem like it was a known issue to them. They couldn't troubleshoot it without me sending over a log file, which I didn't want to for security reasons, so we just left it. It's only now, reading comments in this forum, that I realise it must be a bug - incredible that Evernote wasn't aware of it. My own solution was to completely reorganise my notes so that each file occupies one note, and there are no attachments. It's taken months, on and off, and my stack & notebook structure has had to change. Pretty drastic, but it was either that or switch to another app, which I just couldn't face, given how much content I have. I actually prefer the system I have now, but it was still a long and frustrating journey dealing with this problem.