Tags not notebook specific - drives me nuts

bobc

Idea

What really bothers me about Evernote (for Windows) is there's no concept of "opening a notebook".

I can click on a notebook and then do searches, and the results are from within that note book. That's fine.

But if I click on a tag, the notebook reference is gone, and the results are from across all note books.

I can hold down the control key while I click a tag, and that works, but then I have to keep holding down the control key as I browse different tags.

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5

That is one of the benefits of tags. They can be used to tag notes stored in multiple notebooks.

If I have to search for a tag in a specific notebook, I would use the following search:

notebook:Politics tag:SCOTUS

• Level 5*

The current approach is actually very useful because it allows two modes:

1. you can add tags to your current search (which might also have a notebook specifier, as your example does) using Ctrl+click
  2. you can start a new tag search by just clicking on a tag.

This is not an uncommon selection convention (e.g. Windows File Explorer): Click to start a new selection, Ctrl+Click to add new items to your selection.

All of this is apart from the utility of being able to use tags across all of your notebooks as @jbenson2 notes above.. If you want to restrict certain tags to a single notebook, then you can do it, but it's on you to enforce it. But click/Ctrl+click would be useful even in that scenario.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, bobc said:

What really bothers me about Evernote (for Windows) is there's no concept of "opening a notebook".

I can click on a notebook and then do searches, and the results are from within that note book. That's fine.

But if I click on a tag, the notebook reference is gone, and the results are from across all note books.

I can hold down the control key while I click a tag, and that works, but then I have to keep holding down the control key as I browse different tags.

If you have Search Information visible (Ctrl+F10) you can change the notebook using the drop down.  That notebook will persist as you add tags to the search.

5 hours ago, bobc said:

You can use a particularized search to narrow it down to a notebook. But the syntax is not natural to me and I always have to look it up. And BTW, I've been doing Boolean searches for over 30 years and have no problems with Google.

Archived