Win 7 Closing EN Window Removes Tray Icon

Since "recently" (At least 6.15.2.7805, and still true in 6.15.3.7881), closing the main EN window on my Win7 system causes the tray icon (EvernoteTray.exe, I presume) to disappear. I have not discovered an option controlling this behavior.

I am running the same version on Win10 and do not see this behavior there.

Needless to say, there are times when it is convenient to close EN and have the big status bar disappear while keeping the tray icon to quickly restore the app.

Is there more than one way? I use the 'x' in the upper right corner. If I minimize instead of closing (the '_' two to the left of the 'x'), then the big status bar remains.

[I guess using alt-F4 might be considered another way to close the window, but it has exactly the same effect.]

• Level 5*

Hmmn - wondered if you were 'closing' by logging out,  but the 'x' should just drop an icon onto the task bar as well as leaving the tray icon as an option.  If I use the '_' minimise window key,  that also shrinks the app into a task bar icon.  But I'm using Windows 10 where you say this works correctly for you anyway.  Have to wait for someone with a W7 device to comment I guess...

• Level 5
14 hours ago, N Allen said:

Is there more than one way? I use the 'x' in the upper right corner. If I minimize instead of closing (the '_' two to the left of the 'x'), then the big status bar remains.

[I guess using alt-F4 might be considered another way to close the window, but it has exactly the same effect.]

I'm not seeing this, but I'm still using 6.7. Using the red X or Alt+F4 closes the interface window, and thus removes EN from the toolbar; but it should still leave the tray icon in place. It sounds like, under Win7 only, EN 6.15 is closing the latter as well. Definitely worth making a bug report directly to EN, which I think as a Plus member you should be able to do.

OK, I clearly missed that. I was looking for an option that mentioned 'tray'. I had disabled sync in background as I was trying to reduce the number of instances in which Evernote would freeze for 15-20 seconds while I was trying to type, presumably performing some sort of synchronization. Apparently that is not the sort of background syncing this option controls.

I have disabled automatic sync and enabled sync on close. Is there anything else that would help with app responsiveness?

Archived