New note via keyboard shortcut (Ctrl + Alt + N) doesn't appear on top of other windows

In Evernote windows - 6.14.5.7671 (307671) Public (CE Build ce-48.0.5483) - the new note via keyboard shortcut appears behind all other windows.

I then have to Alt - Tab to that new blank note.

Is it possible to make it always jump on top of other windows?

I am on Win 10 64 bit.

• Level 5

Assuming you've got everything set the way you want it (e.g., Tools > Options > Note > Create new note in new window), try exiting the program completely when you've got a new note in the foreground: File > Exit (just clicking the red X box only closes the interface, leaving the programming in memory). Sometimes that is needed to get a setting to stick properly. Steps beyond that would be log out of Evernote and back in, and restart the computer. Hopefully it won't have to go that far.

On 9/20/2018 at 7:51 AM, VanDelfin said:

Is it possible to make it always jump on top of other windows?

This problem started already last year (when upgraded from 6.5.4 to 6.7.5.5825), there haven't been any comments or attempted fixes from Evernote yet. I'm also very much waiting for the resolution on this. For Dave-in-Decatur: There is no Exit in the File menu in a new note window, so that did not work as a workaround.

Markku

• Level 5
9 hours ago, markkul said:

This problem started already last year (when upgraded from 6.5.4 to 6.7.5.5825), there haven't been any comments or attempted fixes from Evernote yet. I'm also very much waiting for the resolution on this. For Dave-in-Decatur: There is no Exit in the File menu in a new note window, so that did not work as a workaround.

Markku

I'm on v. 6.7.6, and for me new notes do pop up on top of all other windows. I meant to do File > Exit from the main Evernote window; sorry for the unclarity.

1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I'm on v. 6.7.6, and for me new notes do pop up on top of all other windows.

Hi, just to be sure: Do you mostly use the Ctrl-Alt-N hotkey, or just occasionally? I'm asking because I'm using it several times a day (that's the main method for me to create a new note on Windows) and sometimes it works but mostly not. Before the departure from 6.5.4 it worked 100%, nowadays it only works occasionally for me. I haven't yet found any pattern in the behaviour when it happens.

(And to be clear in the discussion: the problem only concerns the use of the hotkey, not any other method of creating a new note.)

The reinstalls on the same laptops or installing on a new laptop haven't made any difference, the behaviour is consistent on all the systems for me. Thanks @VanDelfin for writing a new post about this issue.

Markku

• Level 5

OK, very interesting. I have that function remapped to Win key + N. But I've tested it just now with that shortcut and with the default Ctrl+Alt+N, and the new note opens on top, whether I'm in Evernote or in some other program. It's particularly strange that you're having the problem in fresh installations! Also that it works sometimes but not usually.  What version of the Evernote program are you currently using? Since you're a Plus subscriber, you might want to submit a support ticket.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2018 at 4:50 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Assuming you've got everything set the way you want it (e.g., Tools > Options > Note > Create new note in new window),

Yes.

try exiting the program completely when you've got a new note in the foreground:

Tried and still the same thing happens.

BTW: I just came across a reference to a Win32 api that could explain why some people see this and some don't...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/api/winuser/nf-winuser-locksetforegroundwindow#remarks

That API allows an application to prevent bringing a window to the top. So it's (very) possible that users who are not seeing our window come to the top are running some application that makes this api call.

Archived