Evernote for Windows 6.15 GA

Nick Nassiri

Idea

• Ex Employees

Today we released Windows 6.15 GA. It's available here
(Link has been updated and now includes a hotfix)

What’s in 6.15?

Updated:

• We tweaked the More menu icon to match its look on other platforms. It’s the little things.

Fixed:

• Error message for Template limit does not show the correct limit
  • Pasting into a numbered or bulleted list would remove the list text between any images. This was less than ideal, but on the bright side, we fixed it.
  • Turning bold text off then pasting something into a list would turn bold back on. We really like bold, but that’s taking it too far.
  • Pasting text into Evernote from a coding text editor messed up the formatting, but it should be smooth sailing now.
  • When you pasted bulleted lists from Word into Evernote, the bullets didn’t line up the way you expected. You could say it was a big mess.
  • If you annotated an image using 2-byte characters (for example, Chinese or Japanese characters), the annotation would look garbled. And that was no help to anyone.
  • When you restarted the app, any words you’d added to the dictionary would be flagged as misspelled. Opps! Wer’e sorrry abuot taht!
  • If you shared a note with someone in your Evernote Business account, the sharing list unhelpfully showed you their UserID instead of their name. We’re looking at you, user #24601.
  • If you shared a business notebook from an “invite-only” space, it wouldn’t show up in the Move dialog box, but we took care of that.
  • The About dialog layout looked all wrong in languages other than English. And that’s not what it’s all about.
  • We also fixed a few specific issues that might have caused the app to crash, like quickly clicking multiple notes in the note list. But that’s all in the past
  • Sometimes the app wouldn’t respond if you were editing a note with five or more attachments, but now you can throw everything you want in there.
  • You might have wondered what the “Attachment Status” field in the note info list meant. It showed you when images you attached to a note were been scanned for handwriting recognition, but it didn’t apply to Office docs and PDFs (because they’re not images). That was confusing, so we changed it to “Image Status” instead. Hopefully, that clears things up.
  • Sometimes the app would crash when it should have been syncing, but no more

2 hours ago, CalS said:

Wonder if this is a Windows thing...?

This was happening to me regularly in 6.14.x, without any other issues.  So far 6.15 is better behaved, but it's early.  So it "could" be Windows, but "seems" more like an EN-Windows thing.

36 minutes ago, ej8899 said:

Anyone else seeing images "vibrate"?

My Dell in the truck does it, and my Surface Pro 4 does it at home.

No, thankfully not. But I remember something similar happening with pdfs, a long long time ago.

29 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Cool ? ... no not yet.  When you resized the snippet pane it looked like it stopped.  Is this consistent or related to the snippet pane width?

I can't always find a way to get the images to start vibrating again after resizing the snippet pane.    I can't say it's random either - and it's definitely not related to any particular image(s) either - mind you, I think it is limited to notes where the only thing in the body is an image.  I'll have to pay closer attention.

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

I just psyched myself up to kill that process - despite my system threatening the sky would fall if I shut it down.  Wish I'd done that weeks ago - all is silent.  I'm at one with the world...  peace,  tranquility...  The only certainty is that it won't last!  ?

You sound like you know what you are doing, but just in case, I found this helpful for a very similar situation:  

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/971058/how-do-i-reset-windows-update-components

• Level 5*
43 minutes ago, ej8899 said:

I can't always find a way to get the images to start vibrating again after resizing the snippet pane.    I can't say it's random either - and it's definitely not related to any particular image(s) either - mind you, I think it is limited to notes where the only thing in the body is an image.  I'll have to pay closer attention.

I see that you have reproduced it on two different systems.  Are you using the same resolution on each?  Just trying to find a common thread.  I've seen video scaling cause wierdness like this in other programs.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

I see that you have reproduced it on two different systems.  Are you using the same resolution on each?  Just trying to find a common thread.  I've seen video scaling cause wierdness like this in other programs.

Display adapter thingie, maybe? Were these all laptops? Our 3D stuff sometimes has problems with integrated graphics support, as opposed to card-based (e.g. NVidia). I've never seen this before (in Evernote, seen lots of weirdness in our own software :) ), but I use desktop systems almost exclusively, except when my wife needs tech support.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, eafpres said:

This was happening to me regularly in 6.14.x, without any other issues.  So far 6.15 is better behaved, but it's early.  So it "could" be Windows, but "seems" more like an EN-Windows thing.

Yeah, actually an @gazumped comment.  I agree with you, probably EN...

1 minute ago, jefito said:

Display adapter thingie, maybe? Were these all laptops? Our 3D stuff sometimes has problems with integrated graphics support, as opposed to card-based (e.g. NVidia). I've never seen this before (in Evernote, seen lots of weirdness in our own software :) ), but I use desktop systems almost exclusively, except when my wife needs tech support.

Could be.. yes Dell is a laptop (in the video).. and the other is Surface Pro 4.  -- Dell does it on laptop screen and docked to a 1080 monitor.. Surface Pro I haven't check without it being docked - to a pair of 1080 monitors with EN always on one of those two monitors.

• Level 5*

Happens on my wife's laptop, Lenovo.  I found out about it when I was performing my help desk duties.  :ph34r:

Does not happen on my docked laptop, only display on monitor.  Also Lenovo, though X series.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Don Dz said:

You sound like you know what you are doing, but just in case, I found this helpful for a very similar situation:  

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/971058/how-do-i-reset-windows-update-components

Hmmn.  Haven't seen that one so far in my travels in Windowsland...  I may owe you a beverage of your choice;  thanks!!

On ‎2018‎-‎10‎-‎01 at 12:29 PM, ej8899 said:

Anyone else seeing images "vibrate"?

I had this issue with my most recent note right after upgrade.  It was odd.  If clicking on anything not a note, then selecting THE note it vibrated.  Click a different note, then THE note it stops vibrating.  I left it that way a few days ago, haven't seen the issue since, but haven't had a need to reference THE note since either.

Curiosity got the better of me.  THE note still has the same symptoms.

On 9/19/2018 at 2:03 PM, Nick Nassiri said:

Sometimes the app wouldn’t respond if you were editing a note with five or more attachments, but now you can throw everything you want in there.

That's nice. But, it now "throws everything" any place it wants. I put the cursor on a blank line and "Attach File" and there's only a 10% chance the attachment will be placed where the cursor was unless it was a brand new note.

Usually the attachment will get stuck somewhere way further up in the note, the number of blank lines before the attempt to attach seems to have an effect.

1 blank = position 1 line up

2 blank = position 4 lines up

3 blank = position 6 lines up

until it gets to the top and can't put the attachment any higher. Then it just puts it after the previous one on the same line.

So, I'm jumping between 6.14GA to get the more accurate positioning and 6.15GA to get the horizontal lines. Back and forth. It's not a big problem going from 6.14 to 6.15 but the other way I have to uninstall first. Really slows things down all this install/uninstall/install 4 or 5 times a day.

But then, it could be worse. Both might have the same issues.

2 hours ago, jkubisiowski said:

Any update on broken title encoding? It prevents me from updating

Just tested it with 6.15.4 - still broken. At least with my example (Capital Sharp ß: ẞ)

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, xaa said:

What has changed between 6.15.3 (307881) and 6.15.4 307934  ?

Didn't even realise that there was a 6.15.4 until I saw your post..  I dare say there's an update (to this post) in the works somewhere - meantime I'm trying it out,  as (apparently) are others - I'll post any glaring differences if and when I see them...

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

Would the identical description in 6.15.4 happen to mean, that some of the items were inadvertently left out of 6.15.3 ?   Just curious.

Prob'ly means that something got messed up that really shouldn't have been messed with and the team did a quick fix.  We may never know...  ?

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Prob'ly means that something got messed up that really shouldn't have been messed with and the team did a quick fix.  We may never know...  ?

Pretty much. It was a quick fix for an issue in Templates.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, xaa said:

What has changed between 6.15.3 (307881) and 6.15.4 307934

I rolled the dice and upgraded to 6.15.4 fearful that (but wanting to know if ) the reminder icon would be downgraded to the more commands menu and replaced with the big green share button like was done in the recent Mac upgrade.  Happy to report that the reminder icon is intact.

2 hours ago, gustavgi said:

Is the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl-1, 2, 3 etc for quick navigation between shortcuts new or a buried oldie?

Cool, was not aware, the help files i have do not mention it, who knows. 

Works all the way to 9 for me, perfect number of shortcuts I guess.  ??

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, gustavgi said:

Is the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl-1, 2, 3 etc for quick navigation between shortcuts new or a buried oldie?

Weird, I use those three key combinations as shortcuts in PhraseExpress.  Haven't had any issues.

9 hours ago, gustavgi said:

Now this undocumented feature is really nice, thx. ?

? My workflow since this release came out:

1. Bullet list applied to all the note instead of just the selected text
  2. Paste content from a previous copy and paste instead the selected copied content

Seems occuring when the note contains a table and/or some content copied from web

2018-10-05_12-59-06.gif

• Level 5

I recently updated to 6.15, after sitting on 6.5 and 6.7.6 for quite awhile, waiting for bugs to be addressed. So far, I'm liking 6.15 very much, but it's doing one very weird thing. Since it seems like it might be some kind of deep-programming issue I'm reporting it here.

Specifically, when I do paste-and-match-style, I use Ctrl+Shift+V rather than the right-click menu; and I use the Shift key on the right side of the keyboard. Every single time, after the paste is done my typing is switched from left-to-right to right-to-left orientation. I.e., when I release Ctrl+Shift+V, Evernote treats it as if I had just pressed Ctrl+Right Shift, which signals Windows to change the typing orientation. This definitely did not use to happen, nor does it happen in any other program. I'm on Windows 7, if that is significant. Does anyone else see this?

3 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Specifically, when I do paste-and-match-style, I use Ctrl+Shift+V rather than the right-click menu; and I use the Shift key on the right side of the keyboard. Every single time, after the paste is done my typing is switched from left-to-right to right-to-left orientation. I.e., when I release Ctrl+Shift+V, Evernote treats it as if I had just pressed Ctrl+Right Shift, which signals Windows to change the typing orientation. This definitely did not use to happen, nor does it happen in any other program. I'm on Windows 7, if that is significant. Does anyone else see this?

Hi

I tried to reproduce this but can not see any problem. However I'm on Windows 10 so there might be a difference there. But I just wanted to give it a go to see if I could reproduce.

4 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Every single time, after the paste is done my typing is switched from left-to-right to right-to-left orientation. I.e., when I release Ctrl+Shift+V, Evernote treats it as if I had just pressed Ctrl+Right Shift, which signals Windows to change the typing orientation.

I cannot reproduce that on Windows 7 with EN 6.15.3, or Win10 with EN 6.15.4.

Also, I cannot get Ctrl+Right Shift to change the typing orientation, the fact that you can maybe a factor.

• Level 5

OK, here's some more information. I forgot that this would not be standard for everyone using Windows. In the lists of Windows keyboard shortcuts, for both Windows 7 and 10, Ctrl+Shift is used to switch the keyboard layout when multiple keyboard layouts are enabled. I have that enabled on my computer, and most people probably do not.

Nevertheless, Evernote is the only program on my system that does this. In programs that can switch between LTR and RTL orientations, Ctrl+Right Shift switches to RTL, as it should. Ctrl+Right Shift+V does not. I can work around this in Evernote, obviously, and not a large number of users will be affected. (Unfortunately, the ones who are affected are likely to be the same ones who have been aggravated by Evernote's abandoning of RTL language support a couple of years ago.) Still, I hope it can be fixed.

Serious issue *data loss* - discovered this morning with shared notebooks - one running 6.15.4 ("shared with")  the other running 6.15.3 ("owner").

Owner has notes in shared notebook - various tags are categorizing the notes in this notebook.  Both devices (owner and shared with) fully in sync before editing.

Shared With edits notes - changes some titles to cleanup the notebook. 

Owner is looking over shoulder of "Shared With" and spots what looks like missing tags on notes.  *some* tags are missing - not sure what the reasoning behind certain tags getting dropped vs others staying in place. I'm guessing tags that already exist on Shared With stay in the note, but any tags not pre-existing are being dropped - just haven't tested to confirm this.

Owner system is checked and tags still exist on that end.

Shared With completes a few note edits and syncs.

Owner syncs.

Updated notes on Owner now with (*gasp*) missing tags on these notes. 

Ended up letting "Shared With" use "Owner" computer to update the notebook (kind of defeats the purpose of "shared notebooks" imo).  

A third (owner) system running 6.16.1 was present, but consistency was not checked here for tags being dropped.  Not sure if it is a server thing or older version thing - but definitely someone should check further into this data loss to prevent future version data losses. 

• Ex Employees
On 10/3/2018 at 3:19 AM, jkubisiowski said:

Any update on broken title encoding? It prevents me from updating

This should now be fixed in our 6.16 beta 1. Please let us know if that's not the case. Thanks.

• Level 5

Lots of noise about this 6.15 GA (general availabilty) release. 

My 3-week reminder popped up. I'm going to push it out to mid-November and see if all these issues quiet down by then.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

Lots of noise about this 6.15 GA (general availabilty) release. 

My 3-week reminder popped up. I'm going to push it out to mid-November and see if all these issues quiet down by then.

Well, no doubt they won't get fixed in 6.15, so if 6.16 arrives with new issues what is one to do?  ;)

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Austin G said:

This should now be fixed in our 6.16 beta 1. Please let us know if that's not the case. Thanks.

If you're referring to the comment "all special characters ś, ć, ó, ł, ę, ą look like small green rectangles" then I can confirm that the copied phrase is shown correctly in the title of a test note in 6.16.1

• Level 5
28 minutes ago, CalS said:

Well, no doubt they won't get fixed in 6.15, so if 6.16 arrives with new issues what is one to do?  ;)

I try to stay at least 2 releases behind the current "general availability" version. Right now, I am in a holding pattern with version 6.13. If 6.16 comes out in November, I might consider updating to 6.14. I doubt I will see 6.15 until next year at the earliest.

• Level 5*
52 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

I try to stay at least 2 releases behind the current "general availability" version. Right now, I am in a holding pattern with version 6.13. If 6.16 comes out in November, I might consider updating to 6.14. I doubt I will see 6.15 until next year at the earliest.

Yeah, my point was I'm not sure that the bugs in 6.15 get fixed in 6.15.  I haven't seen Public release updates, maybe they do, just know I've never downloaded one.  Bugs seem to get fixed in subsequent releases.  So, I guess pick a version with bugs that don't bother you is the way to go.  :wacko:

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, CalS said:

So 6.15 is out there as the public release. If a show-stopper (e.g. data corruption bug) pops up, then they can ether fix it there and release that, meanwhile merging the change to the 6.16 branch, and carry on, or fix it in 6.16 and recommend that people update to that. I think that the former option is the safest for customers (it's usually what my company does), so hopefully they'd choose that. But for minor bugs? Naw, fix 'em in the 6.16 branch.

• Level 5
12 hours ago, CalS said:

Yeah, my point was I'm not sure that the bugs in 6.15 get fixed in 6.15.  I haven't seen Public release updates, maybe they do, just know I've never downloaded one.  Bugs seem to get fixed in subsequent releases.  So, I guess pick a version with bugs that don't bother you is the way to go.  :wacko:

Thanks. I've thought that Evernote has two types of GA releases for the public.

• One is the major release - 6.13 for example (with significant new bells and whistles).
  • The second type of GA releases are a series of minor releases - 6.13.14 for example (to correct more bugs)

So, I have been working under the assumption that, in general, the older minor release 6.13.14 at the end of the series is safer and less bug-free than the new major release 6.15.

12 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

So, I have been working under the assumption that, in general, the older minor release 6.13.14 at the end of the series is safer and less bug-free than the new major release 6.15.

I don't think that it is that easy: I believe minor releases are really only for fixing of severe bugs. For instance, the "special characters do not display correctly in the title" bug is still in all subsequent releases of 6.15 (up to now), but it should be fixed in 6.16.

Which makes sense - all code changes, regardless of bug fixing or introducing new features, can also bring new bugs. So a GA will only get a new (sub-)release if the bug is severe, everything else is fixed in the next release. So the next major release really is more bug-free.

But of cause the next major release is not only for bug-fixing but also implements new features, which will certainly bring innovative new bugs :), so it is less bug-free...

What EN lacks is an LTS (long time support) version, which would implement also minor bug fixes, but no new features...

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, Wux said:

I don't think that it is that easy: I believe minor releases are really only for fixing of severe bugs. For instance, the "special characters do not display correctly in the title" bug is still in all subsequent releases of 6.15 (up to now), but it should be fixed in 6.16.

I think that that's right, but also that it's been pretty rare.

31 minutes ago, Wux said:

What EN lacks is an LTS (long time support) version, which would implement also minor bug fixes, but no new features...

Hmmm, extra work for the whole team (i.e., another branch to maintain/actively bug-fix/test)  It's not always the case, but sometimes bug-fixes are developed in the context of new features, and back-porting them to old versions can also induce even more bugs. Conversely, bug fixes developed in an older version don't always translate easily to a newer version. Maybe as they achieve more penetration into the business market (not that people aren't already using Evernote for business purposes; I sure am), this this might become more feasible, but I'm not sure that they're there yet...

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

Thanks. I've thought that Evernote has two types of GA releases for the public.

• One is the major release - 6.13 for example (with significant new bells and whistles).
  • The second type of GA releases are a series of minor releases - 6.13.14 for example (to correct more bugs)

You are welcome.  You should be able to tell what's what when you update to a release, see if the early bugs are still there...

Some companies maintain a production version and a development version.  Bug fixes are applied to the production version but then have to be incorporated into the development version, added work and risk.  This can apply when the new releases have a deal of spacing between them or are deployed across companies.  Can't have bugs in those types of production environments.  EN on the other hand is more a personal tool with hyper frequent releases.  Though they may need to rethink that as they attempt to press into business acceptance.

15 hours ago, jefito said:

Maybe as they achieve more penetration into the business market (not that people aren't already using Evernote for business purposes; I sure am), this this might become more feasible, but I'm not sure that they're there yet... 

I think a LTS version would be a major pro-argument for using EN in the business market, not the other way round...

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Wux said:

I think a LTS version would be a major pro-argument for using EN in the business market, not the other way round...

Sure; that's the view from the business side, as part of the broader question "why would we choose to use Evernote for our business?", and that's totally valid. I was looking at it from Evernote's side:  when does the extra cost of maintaining the long-term solution approach become worth bearing? 

I upgraded and Evernote is completely useless. I literally can not do anything. There is no search bar. Ctrl Q displays a place to search and then simply goes away. I depend on this product and now can not use it.

build 6.15.4.7934 (307934) Public (CE Build ce-53.4.6770)

image.thumb.png.9ed64c01333975fe7b0613dd38e0095e.png

Ctr Q

image.png.f4d23c3f1917fa4238f6ef31432ca15a.png

Results when press enter key. Nothing. The sync issue is one file that I can never find, but syncs work except for one file, so that is not the issue.

I closed out and started app back up, no change. Guess I will have to completely uninstall and reinstall and hope that gives me a search bar.

image.png.ba3bbe9388ae141aeb3f99dfa818c10e.png

image.png

• Level 5*

6.15.3 GA

The saved searches in the toolbar disappeared. The notes linked in the toolbar remained, but all the saved searches have disappeared. I've been using 6.15.3 GA for a few weeks and this is the first time this issue has popped up.

18 hours ago, tavor said:

6.15.3 GA

The saved searches in the toolbar disappeared. The notes linked in the toolbar remained, but all the saved searches have disappeared. I've been using 6.15.3 GA for a few weeks and this is the first time this issue has popped up.

I am using 6.16.1 beta and my one saved search is still on my toolbar.

I re-booted my PC and when I started Evernote the following displayed. Note, not search bar

image.png.a0d47c591fe4edd0c36d1583d4ce2751.png

Re-installed the software and the following normal display appeared.

image.png.46bba48267bbdfe8365d2c5a27c73338.png

Is there a way to manually get this view to display? Seems like that should be easy enough though when I looked I could not find it.

• Level 5*
45 minutes ago, Toulon said:

Is there a way to manually get this view to display? Seems like that should be easy enough though when I looked I could not find it.

Go to that view and then do a File - Exit.  That should then be the view that appears each time you start EN.

Also, it looks like you have a sync issue based upon the red exclamation mark on top of the sync icon.  Try holding the Ctrl key and pressing sync to see if you have any notes with issues.

6 minutes ago, CalS said:

Try holding the Ctrl key and pressing sync to see if you have any notes with issues.

I guess that little jewel is not part of the usual help documentation, or not the ones I have looked at. 

I wish I could learn such tricks without having to pay attention to the forums all the time.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

I guess that little jewel is not part of the usual help documentation, or not the ones I have looked at. 

I wish I could learn such tricks without having to pay attention to the forums all the time.

Ditto.  Tribal knowledge.

Close EN and came back in without seeing problem. I hope that it does not show up again. Interestingly after opening EN after the earlier re-install, not today's, I did not close EN before re-booting. I will see what happens after a EN and a re-boot.

Regarding my sync issue. Thanks for the suggestion. Both notes display the same error, see below. I tried deleting the note, moving to trash, and both still show up.

image.png.656efb2989638c2284d8eefb32988bd5.png

1 hour ago, Toulon said:

Regarding my sync issue. Thanks for the suggestion. Both notes display the same error, see below. I tried deleting the note, moving to trash, and both still show up.

Select the note, press Ctrl-Help, click on "Fix selected Notes", then sync.  The note should go away after that. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Toulon said:

You are welcome.  If the hint by @Don Dz doesn't work, try editing the notes in some fashion, or export/import or copy/paste to a new note.  If they are important enough for you.

Archived