Evernote for Windows 6.15 GA

Nick Nassiri

Idea

• Ex Employees

Today we released Windows 6.15 GA. It's available here
(Link has been updated and now includes a hotfix)

What’s in 6.15?

Updated:

• We tweaked the More menu icon to match its look on other platforms. It’s the little things.

Fixed:

• Error message for Template limit does not show the correct limit
  • Pasting into a numbered or bulleted list would remove the list text between any images. This was less than ideal, but on the bright side, we fixed it.
  • Turning bold text off then pasting something into a list would turn bold back on. We really like bold, but that’s taking it too far.
  • Pasting text into Evernote from a coding text editor messed up the formatting, but it should be smooth sailing now.
  • When you pasted bulleted lists from Word into Evernote, the bullets didn’t line up the way you expected. You could say it was a big mess.
  • If you annotated an image using 2-byte characters (for example, Chinese or Japanese characters), the annotation would look garbled. And that was no help to anyone.
  • When you restarted the app, any words you’d added to the dictionary would be flagged as misspelled. Opps! Wer’e sorrry abuot taht!
  • If you shared a note with someone in your Evernote Business account, the sharing list unhelpfully showed you their UserID instead of their name. We’re looking at you, user #24601.
  • If you shared a business notebook from an “invite-only” space, it wouldn’t show up in the Move dialog box, but we took care of that.
  • The About dialog layout looked all wrong in languages other than English. And that’s not what it’s all about.
  • We also fixed a few specific issues that might have caused the app to crash, like quickly clicking multiple notes in the note list. But that’s all in the past
  • Sometimes the app wouldn’t respond if you were editing a note with five or more attachments, but now you can throw everything you want in there.
  • You might have wondered what the “Attachment Status” field in the note info list meant. It showed you when images you attached to a note were been scanned for handwriting recognition, but it didn’t apply to Office docs and PDFs (because they’re not images). That was confusing, so we changed it to “Image Status” instead. Hopefully, that clears things up.
  • Sometimes the app would crash when it should have been syncing, but no more

? ... 6 month anniversary of invisible tags - reported March 2018.
Screen shots here:  http://www.evernote.com/l/AJDRYO7yD5pNGqe8lTVHvR9A-JyKoYf4NZA/

That being said.. that's all I have to "complain" about with EN currently... wish list is still a built in calendar to view reminders and a way to create "links" in notes to tags, saved searches and even notebooks.  

14 minutes ago, ej8899 said:

Screen shots here:  http://www.evernote.com/l/AJDRYO7yD5pNGqe8lTVHvR9A-JyKoYf4NZA/

While your link clearly shows what you mean,  i did not recognize I had seen your report before  because I only read "invisible tags", rather than "white tags (on a white background!) when bolded". 

I don't know whether changing the phrase would get you more recognition or likes for your report, just something to consider.

I kinda like the white tags, as long as the background is dark, and as long as they are automatically inverted when the background is switched to light in options.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, pepr said:

Tried several ways, click in "All notes" > "Export notes", from the File menu...

First step, Select Notes to  be exported

Don't just click on export without selecting notes

>>So now is more difficult to export?  ..  Before this was much simpler,

afaik  There has been no change to the export function.  I've been using it for years to back up my notes.

1 hour ago, pepr said:

Tried several ways, click in "All notes" > "Export notes", from the File menu...

After clicking on All notes, did you click on the Note list, then Ctrl-A (Select All in the Edit menu), then the entire list should be highlighted (gray/blue), and the Note Panel (right side) should say something like "1234  Notes Selected".  Then Export.

• Ex Employees
3 hours ago, pepr said:

Export all notes does not work, is this a joke??

27 minutes ago, pepr said:

So now is more difficult to export? yes, it worked if i select one note and then go Edit > select all.

Before this was much simpler, was enough clicking the left side "All notes"....

Thanks,

Try right-clicking "Notebooks" instead of "All Notes". This should work. Let us know if it doesn't. 

26 minutes ago, pepr said:

Actually, no. The export with r-click in the nav pane has never worked (for all notes). Export only works on selected notes, or when r-clicking on a notebook.

• Ex Employees
20 hours ago, ej8899 said:

That being said.. that's all I have to "complain" about with EN currently... wish list is still a built in calendar to view reminders and a way to create "links" in notes to tags, saved searches and even notebooks.  

Thanks for the reports. We have this issue documented; we're working on prioritizing the fix.

2 hours ago, pepr said:

Did we have an All Notes button on the left panel before 6.13, or even 6.11?  I don't remember. 

But I do remember that the "All Notes" right click Export never worked, maybe it is something for the future, though it would be nice if it did not show since it doesn't work.

• Ex Employees
14 minutes ago, tavor said:

Is disappearing horizontal rule scheduled to be fixed, maybe before the end of the year? Or are you guys still in the reproducibility/identification stage?

This should be fixed in the 6.15 GA. Please let us know if you're still missing the horizontal rules after updating. 

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Don Dz said:

Did we have an All Notes button on the left panel before 6.13, or even 6.11?  I don't remember. 

But I do remember that the "All Notes" right click Export never worked, maybe it is something for the future, though it would be nice if it did not show since it doesn't work.

If you have the left panel closed and you right-click on All Notes, you do have the option to export all notes.  Not sure I would recommend it based upon Notebook not making the journey to the ENEX file, but if it fits someone's use case...

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, pepr said:

Export all notes does not work, is this a joke??

I have to mention this, because not everyone knows it, but exporting all notes at the same time will lose data, since notebook names are not exported, at least for exports to Evernote format. Once upon a time I wrote a PowerShell script that exported all of my notes, notebook by notebook, and it was something I could schedule / automate. That might be a bit more reliable. See 

No guarantees, and you need to change the script to make it work. I'll try to get around to re-testing it later on tonight.

Edit: I did do a test on this just now. Had to change around the folder names, as I'm on a different machine than when it was written. It did appear to work fine. Didn't take too long, either.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Austin G said:

This should be fixed in the 6.15 GA. Please let us know if you're still missing the horizontal rules after updating. 

Great! I didn't see it in the list of fixes and figured it was still outstanding. I'll update this weekend and report back.

• Ex Employees
4 hours ago, jefito said:

but exporting all notes at the same time will lose data, since notebook names are not exported, at least for exports to Evernote format. O

Thanks for the callout posting your script! I need to give it a try! 

In addition to the script, you can export the notebooks using these steps: 

1.  Sign out: ( File > Sign out)
  2.  Press the Ctrl+Shift+E keys while viewing the login screen
  3. Select the account username

This will create a new folder on your Desktop that contains a separate .enex file for each notebook.

When you need to import an .enex, select File > Import > Evernote Export Files.  Each .enex will import as a separate notebook

20 minutes ago, Austin G said:

Good callout. On the windows client, I recommend exporting the notebooks using these steps: 

This will create a new folder on your Desktop that contains a separate .enex file for each notebook.

When you need to import an .enex, select File > Import > Evernote Export Files.  Each .enex will import as a separate notebook

dear all, may I ask exactly what is exported when exporting notes?

I've been doing my backups for years now using the "select all" --> "export to .enex" routine, thinking that would be enough to recover *my entire database*, including notebooks names, tags, internal links, attachments, etc, in case of a disaster. now I learn -- to my horror! -- that it wouldn't have worked anyway...

any suggestion on how to keep a healthy backup of my vital Evernote database?

thanks!

• Level 5*
51 minutes ago, gozzilla78 said:

any suggestion on how to keep a healthy backup of my vital Evernote database?

You're digressing from the release feedback discussion.  
This should be continued in a separate discussion.

The master version of your data is stored on the Evernote servers.  
Evernote looks after backups, and also maintains a version backup (Note History).  
Local Notebooks are not covered.

The database on your PC is just a copy.  Keep this in mine.

Using the export feature I maintain daily incremental and a weekly full backup.  
I use the html format so I can access and recover individual note data.
I also maintain a database folder backup using TimeMachine backups on my Mac.

1 hour ago, Austin G said:

Is this a Premium feature?  I could not get anything to happen following those steps, no response on the sign in screen with that hotkey.  Using the current version.

6.15 GA and this issue is still not fixed.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/112698-copy-paste-deletes-space-between-domain-names/

Come on guys, this issue started in 6.7 and should have been fixed by now. This is actually causing data loss as the editor deletes a space between domain names.

• Ex Employees
6 hours ago, Don Dz said:

Is this a Premium feature?  I could not get anything to happen following those steps, no response on the sign in screen with that hotkey.  Using the current version.

Should be available for all. I'll DM you to look into it. 

• Ex Employees
1 hour ago, Ethan Mings said:

Question - What happened to the Templates feature.  I can see the icon and yet the function is gone.  

Is possible to have a beta or something with the template feature in place?

They're turned off in the GA in preparation for our official launch coming next week. They're still enabled in the 6.15 Beta 2 build.

• Ex Employees
5 minutes ago, jkubisiowski said:

I updated today but had to revert to 6.11 as titles are not correctly encoded. It was already mentioned here and I thought I would be repaired by now.

Thanks for the report. Are you seeing this with just Vietnamese characters or other languages? 

30 minutes ago, Austin G said:

Thanks for the report. Are you seeing this with just Vietnamese characters or other languages? 

Hi, you're welcome. I am using Polish and all special characters  ś, ć, ó, ł, ę, ą look like small green rectangles. This apply only to the title, the note itself is ok

• Ex Employees
Just now, jkubisiowski said:

Hi, you're welcome. I am using Polish and all special characters  ś, ć, ó, ł, ę, ą look like small green rectangles. This apply only to the title, the note itself is ok

Thanks for the confirmation!

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Austin G said:

Thanks for the callout posting your script! I need to give it a try! 

This built-in feature would be a lot more useful if it didn't require users to sign out.

3 hours ago, jkubisiowski said:

German Umlauts like Ä, Ö, Ü and lowercase ß are working fine, but the special new Capital sharp s: ẞ which (from Wikipedia) "was introduced as part of the Latin Extended Additional block in Unicode version 5.1 in 2008 (U+1E9E Latin capital letter sharp s)" does not render correctly in the title. In the snippet view on the left side it displays as it should - titel and text:

image.png.af3e58ab5e3866e1bfa53b6f88c2bb2f.png

• Bug: first clicked link in a note doesn't automatically switch to the browser window.
  1. In the Evernote desktop app, display a note that contains links.
  2. Click on a link : the link is opened in the browser but Evernote doesn''t switch to the browser window.
  3. Click on a link, then on a second link: both links are opened in the browser and Evernote switches to the browser on the second click.
  • New notes created with ctrl+alt+n are not displayed on front of the current window (Windows 10 virtual desktop activated with Evernote on another desktop than my browser)
  • I would like to have an option to set the window size of the new note, currently their size seemed to be either fullscreen (not at all pratical in my case) or mobile width (too small)

• UI consistency remark : ticked boxes are green in Evernote for Android but stay white in Evernote for Windows. Could be good to choose one of this comportment and use it on both platforms.
  • Ex Employees
7 hours ago, xanadu said:

6.15 GA and this issue is still not fixed.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/112698-copy-paste-deletes-space-between-domain-names/

Come on guys, this issue started in 6.7 and should have been fixed by now. This is actually causing data loss as the editor deletes a space between domain names.

Thanks for mentioning this. I can reproduce it as you describe and have filed a report with the development team.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, xaa said:

minor bug: the shortcut (ctrl+shift+c)  to create a checkbox doesn't work anymore.

Still works for me, either in note in its own window or the note panel.  You might try a File - Exit to see if that resets things (if and however they got unset).

I discovered an interesting Evernote behavior. I have four monitors connected to my computer. One of them has Evernote running on it exclusively. I do not know if this behavior is affected by Evernote being positioned where it is, but I thought I mentioned it just in case.   Below is a picture that shows how my monitors positioned.

image.png.9b766b9e0904c76c3c5861a81d3918f9.png

I am currently taking programming lessons at Codecademy. As I go through them, I use Evernote's screenshot function to take screen-grabs of the various lessons screens for later review. I sometimes use the "Screenshot" button in the main toolbar of the Evernote together with the Ctrl key, especially when the browser runs full screen, to capture as much of the particular lesson screen as possible in one go. It worked quite well without any problems until now:  hold down Ctrl key while dragging the screen selector with the mouse; release mouse button and screenshot gets put into the clipboard; switch to Evernote note and press Ctrl + V to paste the screenshot into the note.  However, with the general release of the Evernote version 6.15.3.7881 (307881) Public (CE Build ce-53.2.6641) I am faced with the third step. Instead of simply displaying the pasted image in the note upon pressing Ctrl + V, I am first presented with merge notes dialog box that consist of the destination  note and some random note. Upon clicking on the destination note in the note list, the merge notes dialog box goes away, and I see a note with the image being pasted. I never experience this behavior before. The problem only presents itself when employing  "Screenshot" button  from the main toolbar. If I use "Clip Screenshot" option from the tray icon, then everything works alright. But I as mentioned before, If a browser runs full screen it is easier for me to use the toolbar button. I would really prefer that I do not had to deal with merge notes dialog box before I can get to the note I am working with. In case I did not describe it clearly, below find a video displaying the problem

30 minutes ago, xaa said:

thank you Cals but it's not working. (no other app opened either in case you ask ;))

I have a hotkey conflict with another program, otherwise works fine for me. 

Just something to look into.

• Bug : empty column added on tables (random ?)
  1. Edit a table in a note
  2. Quit the note
  3. Go back to the note: an empty column as been added at the right of the edited table
  • Bug : font-size or formatting not working on some text (random?)
  1. I have a note with titles that are formatted with numbered list + horizontal rule below
  2. When I select a title and want to change its font-size, either the font-size is applied but not on the number from the numbered list or the font-size is not applied at all (though the new font-size value is display in the editing bar)
  3. I have an another not with text copied from a web page
  4. When I want to remove the format of this text, either the styles stay or only one the style is removed
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, xaa said:

thank you Cals but it's not working. (no other app opened either in case you ask ;))

Well, if it is working for others it does imply it may be a conflict of some sort. Could always try a PC reboot and start EN and see if that helps.  PITA for sure, can’t think of anything else.  

• Level 5*

This is a nit but I'm really not liking the font chosen for the note titles in snippet view.  I like that they are now bold, but not the specific font.  Would be nice if we could select the font and size for titles.

Couple of things outlined in this screen shot.  The GF uses Evernote too, and just updated to 6.15GA today.   1. The first thing to stand out was lack of detail on notebooks that are shared TO her.  An icon like the share from notebooks might be helpful - but show the arrow in the opposite direction (or something).

2. when sharing the screenshot with me, she thought that dragging it into the chat window would work.  It didn't and the image got 'stuck' requiring a full shut down of EN to clear it.

1271979687_Screenshot2018-09-2213_49_56.thumb.png.ef38f012959132d1ef0677c77fe299ac.png

Thought I would try the previously mentioned Evernote "full export" function.    @Austin G mentioned that you file -> sign out, then Ctrl-Shift-E, select your account and you'll get your ENEX files for all notebooks.  

Did this and let it run for a few minutes (over 40,000 notes currently).    Seems to be a great way to save your data - *BUT* total size of exported ENEX files is 5.68GB... my database is 9.3GB.  Now I question where the discrepancy might be.  

Image.png

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, ej8899 said:

Did this and let it run for a few minutes (over 40,000 notes currently).    Seems to be a great way to save your data - *BUT* total size of exported ENEX files is 5.68GB... my database is 9.3GB.  Now I question where the discrepancy might be. 

The database (the.exb, file) is not the same format as .ENEX.  The .exb file is in fact a SQLite database, with your note content, indexes, and other Evernote information. In addition, it may contain extraneous, unused data that's not been cleaned out (but isn't otherwise harmful)  ENEX files are strictly text, and only contain your note content, no index information, etc.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, ej8899 said:

Ummm, the sum of the sizes of my ENEX's is greater than the size of my DB, 22 GB vs 19 GB.  So opposite to what you are seeing.  Just checked most recent backup set.

You using On Demand Sync?  It's been noted that ENEX exports with ODS may not contain the contents of notes which haven't been recently downloaded.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Némo Nobody said:

Lastest bug : cut and paste a table, then cut and paste some text but the table is copied instead of the text.

Is this all within the same note or between different notes?  I tried a couple of ways and cannot duplicate this.  It seems to be working for me.

• Level 5*
On 9/20/2018 at 6:12 PM, Austin G said:

On 9/20/2018 at 8:22 PM, tavor said:

Great! I didn't see it in the list of fixes and figured it was still outstanding. I'll update this weekend and report back.

Updated to 6.15 GA and horizontal rule seems to be working fine! After so many months of this being buggy, this is a great relief.

• Ex Employees
2 hours ago, tavor said:

Updated to 6.15 GA and horizontal rule seems to be working fine! After so many months of this being buggy, this is a great relief.

Thanks for the confirmation! We're happy to hear that. 

• Level 5*

Is anyone seeing an issue where imported PDF files (using the Evernote folder/file import) is causing Evernote to automatically open the print dialog box when you select the note?

1. Tools|Import Folder
  2. Set up a folder to import and delete the file when done
  3. put a PDF in there
  4. let it import
  5. select the note
  6. Print dialog box magically opens.

It is possible there is some ridiculous script in the PDF file causing this but this is happening this morning with two very different PDF files that I saved from Gmail into the import folder. When I just clipped the entire email from Gmail, it isn't happening, so it seems to be a note that has just a PDF in the body, no other text.

1 hour ago, EdH said:

Is anyone seeing an issue where imported PDF files (using the Evernote folder/file import) is causing Evernote to automatically open the print dialog box when you select the note?

Recently I imported 65 PDF files, a first for my use.

Nope, no print dialog.  Yep, using those exact same steps.

On 9/22/2018 at 1:20 PM, ej8899 said:

The first thing to stand out was lack of detail on notebooks that are shared TO her. 

Set the color on a shared notebook (via Styles) and then click 'Set As Default' in that dialog. Colorizing the notebooks is a non-standard behavior we have on Windows. We're being beaten into submission to bring our UI in line with the rest of the platforms. :) So notebooks are no longer colorized by default. (But they let us keep the Styles dialog!)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, dconnet said:

We're being beaten into submission to bring our UI in line with the rest of the platforms.

Totally understandable, on the one hand (the differences among the different platforms is a longstanding bugaboo for a significant number of users). But if a feature is useful on one platform, shouldn't the other platform developers be the ones who should be beaten into submission??

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, dconnet said:

We're being beaten into submission to bring our UI in line with the rest of the platforms

Because the UI on a 5" phone should be the same as the UI on my 27" monitor. 

1 hour ago, jefito said:

But if a feature is useful on one platform, shouldn't the other platform developers be the ones who should be beaten into submission??

If I am not mistaken, Evernote was originally a Windows program anyway.  I used to have version 2, which was not green and did not sync to the cloud.

• Level 5*
Just now, Don Dz said:

If I am not mistaken, Evernote was originally a non cloud Windows program anyway, I think it could interact with some other programs, I forget (I used to have version 2, which was not green, I don't remember whether the elephant was used at the time).

Yes. That was 10+ years and several rewrites ago.  Version 2 -- the timeline thingy -- didn't really do too much for me. That being said, I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here. I am commenting on a longstanding much-belabored pain point for some users: that some features work some way on one platform, and work an entirely different way on others, or aren't even implemented at all. My point being that if a feature on one platform is a good improvement (e.g., the one that @dconnetreferred to; there are certainly others), it should probably be implemented on the other platforms, rather than removed altogether.

10 minutes ago, jefito said:

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here. 

Simply commenting on how things have changed from the time Windows was the point of reference, in connection with your observation about following a good idea, whoever has it.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, dconnet said:

We're being beaten into submission to bring our UI in line with the rest of the platforms.

This case being more the visual bit of the UI, I suppose.  How's it going with the functional side of the UI where we as users actually "I" with the software.  

I found 3 Problems

- A new drag and drop problem or is the jumping cursor bug back? Dragging files into a note results in the files being added at the very top of the note, even though I drag them to the bottom (and can see the cursor blinking where I want them before dropping)

- Inserting (text or pictures) via ctrl-v works only if you do it twice (have to press ctrl-v twice to paste)

- Dragging stuff (text or files) within the note does not cause the note to scroll, i.e. when I want to move stuff to a place that is out of the window range, I have to guess where I am.

[edit] Oh, one more thing (not sure if this is new or maybe even expected behaviour?): Pressing tab and adding a checkbox does not add another checkbox after pressing enter. 

I have EN 6.15.3.7881 (307881) Public (CE Build ce-53.2.6641). I  upgraded to it on Win7. Now all my note titles are bold. It's distracting. Where can I turn them off? When I go in to Tools->Options I don't see anything under Note, or anywhere else, where I can make them unbold. Help! Should I just downgrade?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, jbrennan said:

where I can make them unbold.

Currently no where if you want to use snippet view.  There is no option to change it.  List views do not have the bold if you want to try that.

2 hours ago, jbrennan said:

Should I just downgrade?

Your call.  If it really bothers you that is your only option.

Small bug in the new templates feature (and of course I've stumbled over it with the first note :))

Notes can only be saved as template, when the note is already synced, or else this menu item is greyed out. But if you have the auto-populate note with active tags option turned on AND you select a different notebook with this new note, then the "is it synced already" check does not work, you can click on "save as template" which leads to this rather strange very empty "save template" window:

image.png.057de4572009128f12f5d5d9057c7628.png

Frankly I think it would be a better solution, if there is no sync check, cause it leads to confusion, why sometimes "save as template" is greyed out and sometimes not. I think it would be better if EN would handle this the same way as the note link feature - force syncing, then open the "save as template" window, and the menu item is never greyed out.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Wux said:

Templates seem to be turned on again this morning (local time: UTC +2). At least when I start a new note, there is a new "templates" button on top of the note.

Yes. They were re-enabled in the Public release (but not in the GA release).

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Where I work public = GA, what is the difference here?

Hmm, looks like you're right. The GA is the Public release, my bad. So let me rephrase: "but not in the GA - 1 release"

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, jefito said:

The GA is the Public release, my bad.

No worries, I was just wondering if EN was using a different definition from what I am use to.  Thanks for clarifying.

1 hour ago, CalS said:

@jefito

Aren't they the same in this case.  I haven't installed anything since the 6.15.3.7881 release (9/20) and templates appeared.  Someone flip a switch at the Mother Ship?

Exactly. The server switch was flipped on Monday with the official release.

So I was running 6.14 beta something and it was quite good.  I had a problem where content being emailed into my default notebook corrupted another note (content was replaced and was not in history), and support asked me to go to 6.15 beta 2.  It has been terrible.  It crashes constantly, it hangs (6.14 seemed pretty fast), and I found some sync issues.  So, my question is would you all suggest I go to 6.15 GA, or go back to the 6.14 beta I liked?  Other than losing the branding and templates, there is nothing in 6.15 I think I need.  Are there likely problems going backwards?

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, eafpres said:

So I was running 6.14 beta something and it was quite good.  I had a problem where content being emailed into my default notebook corrupted another note (content was replaced and was not in history), and support asked me to go to 6.15 beta 2.  It has been terrible.  It crashes constantly, it hangs (6.14 seemed pretty fast), and I found some sync issues.  So, my question is would you all suggest I go to 6.15 GA, or go back to the 6.14 beta I liked?  Other than losing the branding and templates, there is nothing in 6.15 I think I need.  Are there likely problems going backwards?

I would try 6.15 Public first.  If it doesn't work you can always go back to the 6.14 beta you like, just have to reset settings.  As always, backups just in case.  IAC, 6.15 Public has been stable for me.  Hopefully your mileage doesn't vary.

I did an update today and lost all my study notes I did this afternoon for my MBA!!! Furious!!!

I have a paid subscription and therefore expected more reliability for my money. Unacceptable

Tried to find a support page to get in touch with Evernote support, did not take me anywhere. Wasting my time

5 hours ago, Nardus said:

I did an update today and lost all my study notes I did this afternoon for my MBA!!! Furious!!!

I have a paid subscription and therefore expected more reliability for my money. Unacceptable

Tried to find a support page to get in touch with Evernote support, did not take me anywhere. Wasting my time

You should elaborate further on your post.  A good many of us users could potentially assist, but you give absolutely nothing to go on.  I'm a paid user as well, with  just over 42,000 notes as of today and the only time I lost a note was a problem that I created - and that's with numerous updates and using beta versions too.  

Let us know some details and maybe your notes are still there.    Have you checked the web version to see what it shows?  Was it a local notebook only?  Did you sync before an update?  What version did you update from?

I believe this is a bug; unsure if it was in earlier but did not notice in 6.15

Run saved search--has multiple items with "any" option

Open a note from search results

Note opens to a wide view, but highlighting is present on search terms ('correct_highlight.jpg')

Change width of note window; highlighting goes away ('incorrect_highlight.jpg')

correct_highlight.thumb.jpg.bec6e2dd2a010bfc8f21750d3cd4bd47.jpgincorrect_highlight.thumb.jpg.5e5dcad382feeb2b8252aaba53b59ac5.jpg

8 hours ago, Nardus said:

Did you check your note history?  Sometimes updating the database doesn't completely work, and then if you upgrade the program you might lose unsaved /unsynced data, so I learned to keep the sync column visible at all times to ensure my notes are synced.

• Level 5*

Bug Report.

The bug appears in IOS but is started in Windows.

Create a new note in its own window.  Drag text from another note (default font) into the new note.  Everything looks fine on Windows but on IOS the font in the note is not the default.  Copy/Paste works fine, the font in the IOS note is the default.  No ENML expert, but it appears the DnD is adding the font definitions (even though it is default font) and other definitions into the the new note, which then causes IOS EN to display differently.  Casual user would assume, me thinks anyway, that copy/paste or DnD of the same text would generate the same result.

ScreenClip.png.bc9c44098be974ce0c0ff8196440bac8.png

• Level 5*

Crash - just started Evernote and clicked on a saved favourite shortcut to a note.  Poof!  No Evernote.  Starting again...  and there's no reaction because a process is still running,  including the tray icon.  Right click that to open Evernote and I get the error "Evernote is not ready to accept clips. Please open the main application...."

Killed the process and clicked the Start menu icon - now I get the Fatal Error window...  which will probably start Evernote normally once I copy this comment to it...

Edit:  (2 seconds later) Yup.  Here she comes...

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, eric scoles said:

Updated to 6.15 from 6.11. Syncing no longer works. Have tried logging out/in. Currently trying to figure out how to revert to 6.11, as Evernote's pretty much useless without syncing.

Not syncing as in a red exclamation mark over the sync icon or something else?  Any error message in the Activity Log?  Rare that EN just stops syncing.

You can go to filehippo to download older versions of EN.  As a premium subscriber you could submit a ticket or contact Chat on Monday.

• Level 5*

Bug Report.

I have a note with a single line of text at the top followed by a table.  If I click in the middle of the single line of text and then hit the delete key to remove a character, the character is not deleted but the table is highlighted.  If not paying attention the next keystroke will replace the table.  Not good.  Backspace works fine when positioning to the other side of the character.

6 hours ago, CalS said:

I have a note with a single line of text at the top followed by a table.  If I click in the middle of the single line of text and then hit the delete key to remove a character, the character is not deleted but the table is highlighted.  If not paying attention the next keystroke will replace the table.  Not good.  Backspace works fine when positioning to the other side of the character.

I reported that several versions back, nothing was done as other table issues were fixed, so I was beginning to think it was the new normal, at least it is predictable. heh.

9 hours ago, gazumped said:

Crash - just started Evernote and clicked on a saved favourite shortcut to a note.  Poof!  No Evernote.  Starting again...  and there's no reaction because a process is still running,  including the tray icon.  Right click that to open Evernote and I get the error "Evernote is not ready to accept clips. Please open the main application...."

Until they finally fix it, I have found a solution that works for me is to not start using EN for at least 5 or 10 minutes after booting, and try to avoid rebooting if possible.  It remains relatively stable if I do it like that, it seems to me the multiple processes they recently added may have something to do with it.

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

I reported that several versions back, nothing was done as other table issues were fixed, so I was beginning to think it was the new normal, at least it is predictable. heh.

Thanks.

download.jpg.63eaec29d1e4e6eb295d9a5d9a1ee70a.jpg

On 9/29/2018 at 4:45 PM, gazumped said:

Killed the process and clicked the Start menu icon - now I get the Fatal Error window...  which will probably start Evernote normally once I copy this comment to it... 

Edit:  (2 seconds later) Yup.  Here she comes...

Got a more or less similar crash, I also had to Kill the process manually before I could restart Evernote successfully

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, eric99 said:

I also had to Kill the process manually before I could restart Evernote successfully

Same old same old...  spookily I have the same sort of problem with my windows VPN now - unexplained misbehavior requiring the process to be killed before a restart.  Wonder if this is a Windows thing...?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

Same old same old...  spookily I have the same sort of problem with my windows VPN now - unexplained misbehavior requiring the process to be killed before a restart.  Wonder if this is a Windows thing...?

images.jpg.f898e6d302e928eb7bab1d997e8109b5.jpg       ;)

• Level 5*

Just sayin'.  I hate MS more than anything at the moment - Windows Update is dumbly trying to update my system to Windows 10 1803 despite the fact that my Dell isn't compatible with the update. I've 'hidden' the update,  messed with Windows and generally winged at MS but Update is still sitting there at the moment using 25% of my disk activity to fail - again - on the 45th (ish) try.  I'll just go bang my head against a wall for an hour until it fails properly,  then I can go back to working...   ?

• Level 5*

I just psyched myself up to kill that process - despite my system threatening the sky would fall if I shut it down.  Wish I'd done that weeks ago - all is silent.  I'm at one with the world...  peace,  tranquility...  The only certainty is that it won't last!  ?

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, ej8899 said:

Anyone else seeing images "vibrate"?

Cool ? ... no not yet.  When you resized the snippet pane it looked like it stopped.  Is this consistent or related to the snippet pane width?

Archived