Evernote’s REAL Refresh - new UI, better typography, and font selection

OMNIZEN

Idea

With the most recent backlash online over Evernote’s Death spiral I wanted to post about how Evernote is loosing their innovative edge and how long awaited features have gone long ignored. For me it’s all about the UI when writing and reading notes. With the Evernote refresh I felt deflated with all the “apparent” changes. We’ve all been waiting for new features and new look and what we get is new typography and mission statement.Is this where they’ve been focusing all their time??? I’ve always said there has been a huge disconnect with the loyal user base and people work work/represent Evernote. People have been in anticipation for a refreshed Evernote app and UI, editor and a better way to compile notes. But instead, Evernote focused on the color and design of the green elephant. #disconndect #fail #outoftouch

Rant over. Now I’d like to share some of my features that will be a REAL Evernote REFRESH. 

1- New & Improved Editor User interface UI (look & feel)  - a while back Evernote made noticeable changes to the iOS design, it was LARGLEY overshadowed by bugs and price changes. I will say I have really enjoyed the design and layout from day one. However, there have been so much MISSING from the editor and font options. People desire to have their notes pop, stand out, look visually appealing but on the iOS versions of the software it’s mindumbing to format and write. The look and feel of writing notes is small, basic and not what you’d expect in 2018. Bear, OneNote & Scriver all have the best formatting and visual appeal. I 
love all the options at my fingertips like tagging, more options & reminders but there’s times I need a clutter free writing space. Being able to toggle on and off the options would really be a useful feature. 

2- Better Typography, Font selection and More Formatting options - It’s a nightmare to create content in the iOS app. Visually the fonts are small and obscured by the fact that you have no options of font size or type. Notes look bland and inconspicuous. 

3- Summary of Key Feature Requests - 

• Distraction free writing (Bear does this amazing) have a toggle buttons to have the screen full and the editor tools minimal is really what is needed to create great content. To much clutter really gets in the way at times from being in a zen like state of FLOW. 
  • More editor options - Heading (1,2,3 etc) options, line break, note linking and perhaps other tools. Having more options in a slide toolbar (like Dropbox paper, Bear) adds the features while saving on space is what i feel may be missing. Evernote really did a good job with the update a few years ago but since then its gone stagnate. Adding a few more tools would really make writing pleasureable and functional.  
  • Reading mode (presentation mode) having ability to read content with beautiful typography and visual  appealing full screen experience is what’s really missing from Evernote’s feature set. If there was a way to have a reading mode that would make reviewing content more enjoyable. Trying to go back and read my own notes or team members notes is tedious not so fun. 
  • Multiple Font options (especially th new font that’s on Evernote’s page). It’s a pain to have NO options for font types. How can people make visuallly appealing content and unique notes in an outdated workspace? How can you take great notes when your confined to one type of font? Being able to have many fonts would make creating Evernotes more enjoyable 
  • Ability to Increase font size and line spacing (in settings). Being able to customize your writing experience according to what a writer likes is very important and feel Evernote has always overlooked this feature time and again. 

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Your ideas are better addressed as separate feature request posts.

I don't actually see a connection with the Brand project and features in the editor.
The Brand stuff was Maketing department stuff, and I suspect little participation from devlopment staff.

I agree with you, I saw the "death spiral" post on youtube, I hope it is wrong.

I have always been concerned about investing over the last decade so heavily in Evernote with all my data. Unlike Google, I do trust Evernote with privacy, but its one of those eggs in baskets worries.

In order to safeguard myself I have been looking at alternatives for some time (Keep It; One Note; Apple Notes; Bear and Nimbus to mention a few. None come even close to Evernote (in spite of Evernotes bloated and slow performance).

Bear is refreshingly fast and does the job nicely but I hate the whole 'hashtag' organising.

I do hope Evernote keeps it all together is spite of reported financial worries, millions of people depend on it.

On 9/17/2018 at 9:58 AM, tassiecelt said:

I agree with you, I saw the "death spiral" post on youtube, I hope it is wrong.

I have always been concerned about investing over the last decade so heavily in Evernote with all my data. Unlike Google, I do trust Evernote with privacy, but its one of those eggs in baskets worries.

In order to safeguard myself I have been looking at alternatives for some time (Keep It; One Note; Apple Notes; Bear and Nimbus to mention a few. None come even close to Evernote (in spite of Evernotes bloated and slow performance).

Bear is refreshingly fast and does the job nicely but I hate the whole 'hashtag' organising.

I do hope Evernote keeps it all together is spite of reported financial worries, millions of people depend on it.

Hello. Yes, i’ve Tried a variety of apps to possibly fill that gap but each one has drawbacks. I hope the best for Evernote but they’ve ignored users requests for years so empathy can only go so far. I totally agree with the Bear perspective. They have a really cool UI but no nested folder system is a big draw back 

Archived